Re: My experience with Endless Electronics

May 24, 2012
Message 311 of 513 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

May 24, 2012

What happens if you set it down Horizontally? Does it simply not draw are in/out?

Message 312 of 513 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

May 24, 2012

its pulling more fresh cool air into the ps3 and if horizontal i just put on 4-1 inch little feet on it and looks fine...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 313 of 513 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

May 24, 2012

Well that's enough playing it for today. It kept getting extremely loud after just being on for a short while. even after breaks inbtween, and its not really that hot right now. And only warm-ish air coming out. Will continue tomorrow -_-

Message 314 of 513 (129 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 24, 2012

On my system, the fan speed would instantly go up and down depending on what is happening. For example, when it goes to a video cinematic, the fan instantly goes down a speed. I am very pleased with how responsive the fan is...

Message 315 of 513 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

May 25, 2012

Lucky

Message 316 of 513 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
49 posts

Endless Electronics is unable to repair my PS3. Need help, again...

May 25, 2012

This is sort of a "part 2" concerning my PS3's recent experience of the YLOD, which you can read about right here.  I apologize if it seems like I'm seeking attention by posting a new thread, but this is very urgent to me, and I need answers quick.

Alright, so, basically I just got an E-mail from Endless Electronics.  I noticed it an hour ago, but apparently it was sent earlier this morning.  Whatever; here was the message:

“Unfortunately we were not able to fix your PS3 but you still have some options! Please look over the options below and email us if you have any questions. Please let us know which option you would like within 5 business days or we will return your unit automatically.

TradeUp Program

Option 1 | Return Your PS3.
With this option we will return your unit to you. Units will be returned via UPS ground.

Option 2 | Cash For Parts
With this option we will pay you $50.00 cash for the broken parts in your unit. This is a nice and clean transaction; you don't have to mess with stupid rebate cards or gift cards like other trade in programs. Just your $50.00 cash in your PayPal. This is probably the best and most cash you can get anywhere for your broken PS3.

Option 3 | Trade Rebate Program, Refurbished CECHA01
We have 1 CECHA01 in stock that can be purchased as a reduced price. This unit has been reballed had a new fan and PSU installed, new thermal pads and paste and would be listed as "like new" condition in our Amazon store front. The unit comes with a 6 month YLOD warranty.

If you have any questions about your repair or any of our TradeUp options please give us a call or email.”

I was quick to respond to them when I got this message.  I hope to hear back from them tomorrow, but for now, I wanted to ask you guys, the community, about my prime concern.....and that is the data on my HDD.

I know Endless Electronics offers HDD upgrades, but when they called me yesterday I requested the Component Upgrade and Lifetime YLOD Warranty.  Curiously, I asked what the cause of the YLOD on my PS3 was; I had a little trouble hearing him, but apparently the cause was a crack in the graphics chip.  Whatever it was, I requested the aforementioned services and eventually we exchanged good-byes.....but that was all yesterday, and now I got this E-mail saying that my PS3 can’t be fixed.  So, my personal point of view kicks in; Endless Electronics apparently has a good reputation, and naturally, I’m the unlucky one.

At this point in time, my primary concern is getting my HDD preserved.

I apologize if any of you think I’m sounding emotional regarding this development.  Well, the thing is that I’ve had this PS3 since 2008, and of course I’ve had all my data, progress, achievements, and account since then.  If I have to get a new PS3, I’m willing to accept it....but the problem is that new PS3 automatically format HDD’s.  The options Endless Electronics gave me in the E-mail didn’t specify anything concerning my HDD’s data being transferred to the new one, either.  Though I E-mailed them with questions regarding my concern, I figured I’d ask them here as well, or at least just one....and that is, is there any way they can transfer my HDD’s data to the new one?  Surely they have methods of being able to back up my HDD’s data to some external hard disk and then transfer it all over to the new PS3, don’t they?  Will this cost me anything?  Though personally, I don’t care if I have to shell out extra money to make sure my data is preserved.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a PlayStation®Plus account, though I have heard about the ability to store data on Sony’s servers through PlayStation®Plus.  However, if I had known my PS3 would crash, I would’ve taken the cloud system more seriously, but I never suspected my PS3 would crash and such this is where I’m at now.

Why do I care so much about my HDD data being preserved and transferred?  Well, that shouldn’t have to be a question at all.  I’m not a “casual gamer”; I care about my gameplay experiences, and I’m not about to act all like “Uhh I don’t care I’ll just buy a new one,” or some attitude like that.  What can I say?  I don’t consider myself a genuine “hardcore gamer”, but I’ve been a gamer all my life, coming from a generation where videogames were a new thing, and I just happen to be the one who finds a passion in gaming.  I embrace that back then gaming consoles were more reliable and we didn’t have these social statistics that define the economic potential of the industry, but I won’t go into that because that will lead this off-topic.

Basically, I need to know if there is still any chance whatsoever of being able to get my HDD backed up and transferred to a new PS3, if I ever decide on getting a new PS3.  I’m assuming that “business days” excludes this coming weekend, so hopefully I can get some time to make a decision.  But until I hear back from them tomorrow, I need answers concerning what future my HDD has, if they have the ability to transfer it to a new system, that sort of thing.

I hope to hear back from anyone concerning this issue....

Message 317 of 513 (512 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Endless Electronics is unable to repair my PS3. Need help, again...

May 25, 2012

I know that EE can perform a data recovery service, but they won't be able to do it if it is too damaged.

You can read more about this service here: http://www.endlesselectronics.org/ps3_repair/rebate.html#3

I suggest you contact EE about your specific case to see if they can help you with data recovery...

Message 318 of 513 (512 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

May 25, 2012

I see.....well, all I know is that the cracked graphics chip is the cause of the YLOD, though I wonder if there could be more to it than that.  Other than that, despite times of leaving my PS3 on, I know I have taken good care of my system.  If I left it on, I had a fan blowing onto the vent (the vents beside the disc slot).  Other than that, I've never abused my PS3.

If they are able to send me a hard disk with my HDD's data, then I can feel a little more content.....though new PS3's only have 100+GB HDD's, right?  This means I would have to purchase a larger HDD to install into it....

Message 319 of 513 (512 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 25, 2012

I found out that it really doesn't matter how well you have taken care of your PS3, because the thermal paste Sony uses dries up after several years of use. This drying can cause the lead free solder joints under the GPU to crack causing the YLOD.

You might be able to avoid that by changing the thermal paste to a better quality one, and that should keep the PS3 running cooler for much longer.

New PS3 Slims have 160GB & 320GB hard drives installed in them...

Message 320 of 513 (512 Views)
0 Likes