Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 19 2013
By: active_aggressiv Sackboy 635 posts

My emotional plea for Sony to rethink this No backward compatibility in PS4

9 replies 186 views Edited Jun 19, 2013

Please SONY, do not proceed with this. You'll be breaking a tradition, every PlayStation since the PS2 had backward compatibility support.

I remember having tears of joy when I discovered PS2 would have this feature. It was something I use to kick stones at SEGA for having a no-caring sense for it's previous hardware when they made new system after new system incompatibile with each other.

But SONY got it right.

The Backward compatibility of PS1 in PS2 help raised my ire of loving the PlayStation brand.   

Now this former Xbox 360 user wants to return home to the PlayStation brand and pick up a PS4 and pick up some few PS3 titles that I missed out the previous gen.

Don't alienate this chance to make more revenue, add PS3 software backward compatibility to the PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Re: My emotional plea for Sony to rethink this No backward compatibility in PS4

Jun 19, 2013

Buy a used PS3,Sony won't mind that so long as you still buying PS4. And ps3 aside from 60g had no backwards compactibility and even that one failed as far as I heard. so just wait for them to remake best ps3 games for ps4 just like they doing now with ps1/2 games

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14108 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

Do some reading on why that won't happen. And remember, on the PlayStation Community forums no Sony employee can hear your pleas.

(Link)

Edit: Completely forgot about Gaikai coming in Q1 2014. A number of PS3 titles will be available for streaming then. And no, there is no more extensive information on that.

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
3148 posts

Jun 19, 2013

The only way (beside client side emulation) the PS4 would get backward compatibility is to add a PS3 inside the case with the PS4, they are completely different in regards to the CPU and GPU, this would not only make the case rival the xbox one (vcr behemoth) but drastically increase the cost of the console. 

While it is not ideal Sony is going to have Gaikai on the PS4 and it will have PS3 games on it that will stream to your PS4. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24070 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I'll never understand the whole "more revenue" argument. The prevailing gamer logic sentiment is they would sell more consoles, and make a profit. They don't make money selling the console because it's a LOSS LEADER. They sell it at a very low profit margin, or even at a loss, and they make it up by selling you things that go with the hardware. What goes with a game console? GAMES! If you're playing your old games, they aren't making money.

I know they are going to be starting a streaming service, but really people, you CAN hang on to your old hardware. If you say "but.. I dont' have room". Then you MAKE room. You rearrange some things and you make space. I know that takes more effort than "C'MON SONY", but what other option do you have?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (157 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3100 posts

Jun 19, 2013
Its easier said then done. Do you have any idea how complex the Cell chip is in the PS3? Most developers haven't even tapped into the full power of the system let alone it being emulated on the PS4. Sony has their streaming service coming in 2014 where you can play the older games but no details on that yet.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jun 19, 2013

How many threads on this do we need before the backwards compatibility cult gives this up?  I'll say it again - backwards compatibility is a unicorn.  It does not exist.

active_aggressiv wrote:

The Backward compatibility of PS1 in PS2 help raised my ire of loving the PlayStation brand.   

"Ire" means anger, wrath.  You basically just said that backwards compatibility made you angry about loving the PS brand.  Good job.

I am keeping my Playstation 2.  Yes, it is backwards compatible with the PS1.  That's pretty neat, but it doesn't make the PS2 the most awesome console in gaming history.  I am keeping my Playstation 3.  I love it, and would never willingly part with it.  I have preordered the launch day version of the Playstation 4.  I am sure I will praise it as the most advanced gaming console to date.  

Why can't all you backwards compatibility cultists do the same?  Why do you hold to the bizarre notion that a console is only truly advanced if it retains the capability to downgrade itself to its previous iteration's software?  Ridiculous.  Ridiculous.

PSN: sleepyeyes2k2
Reformed Xbox Gamer

21lob2s.png
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (140 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I can care less about PS2 and PS3 support.

But, the tradition: *EVERY* playstation branded device plays Playstation 1 games. I dont feel like hooking up an entirely different console just to play those. How in the world is such a high end console not capable of software emulation? 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
242 posts

Jun 19, 2013
Only the original PS3 had Backwards compatability no model after it did...

Secondly The cell architecture of the CPU of the PS3 is 100% impossible to replicate on he PS4 with the more modern PC processor it uses...it would likely add 200$ to the cost of every PS3 to include two entirely different processors ti make it backwards compatable.

"""But, the tradition: *EVERY* playstation branded device plays Playstation 1 games. I dont feel like hooking up an entirely different console just to play those. How in the world is such a high end console not capable of software emulation?"""

Because the PS4 again entirely different form of coding your comparing a PC setup to a unique Cell processor that only a handful of studios ever mastered programming for... Emulation would be even worse to attempt

It would literally be like trying to put a round peg in a square hole.
PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (108 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jun 19, 2013

They may not have it but the streaming feature is a nice try to get at it so I wouldnt be that mad plus the recreation of the old game for the ps4 will be amazing think of all the graphics that will get to show off their potiential

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (103 Views)
0 Likes