Apr 16 2011
By: H2Os I Only Post Everything 1203 posts

My connection to PSN is terrible.

11 replies 92 views Edited Apr 16, 2011

Shopping through the store is a chore, forget about renting movies. Game updates are a 2 hour download affair.

I've searched through a few posts and port forwarded my router properly. 

I'm getting 163.6kbps down

I'm connected wirelessly, a wired connection is not an option. Due to e location of the tv and ps3(upstairs), androuter (downstairs).

My signal strength wavers in the high 95ish% (95-100)

I'm not sure what else to do.

This isn't just today, it's been this way for quite awhile, I just haven't used the online aspect for a few months. It used to work just fine wirelessly before I moved to this location, with the same wireless router.

Message 1 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Re: My connection to PSN is terrible.

Apr 16, 2011

It all depends on the location, and also security plays a big role as well. Now you said you never had issues until you moved. I am going to guess, but it's a long shot. I am going to say, see if you can buy some booster antanas, that'll help boost your signal and give you better performance all around. Security plays a big role, depending on if its 128 or 256 bit encryption.

Message 2 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1203 posts

Apr 16, 2011

I actually did that a few weeks ago, I thought maybe my signal strength was bad. As for my security I'm using Wpa2.

Message 3 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1203 posts

Apr 16, 2011

I reenabked UPnP but that still comes up as not available, I have gotten my dl down to a consistent 263kbps. Which still sucks.

I also get an error, 80029020, which I googled and tells me something about it being an ip thing, and it recommends port forwarding which I've done already.

Message 4 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Apr 16, 2011

i would say it is normal for downloads through the PSN to be slow because they are that way for me too, and i am on a wired connection. the speed of the server you download from can affect how fast your downloads go. if you go to speedtest.net and use different servers to do different bandwidth tests, you will see that you get different download speeds from different servers. that is because some servers are faster than others. in the case of PSN, i think that they are pretty slow, but that is just from my experience with them. if you are getting an NAT type 2 out of your wireless conection and your ps3 is not frequently signing out, then you are in pretty good shape with your connection. you can get faster internet, which might improve download time, but there is no gurantee. with the wireless G standard on the ps3, the transfer rate over it will be slower than a wireles N connection. i didn't think going from wireless G to wireless N would make much of a difference on a DSL internet connection, but it does. and the range of the wireless signal is better too. when will sony allow an external usb wireless adapter for wireless N? the little white console had this tech since day one, so what up sony. as Phil said, get it together man

Photobucket
Message 5 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 16, 2011

Make sure you are using the newest firmware for your router from the manufacturer's website. Hopefully that will get your UPnP working again.

Message 6 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1203 posts

Apr 16, 2011

Mr Jenkins, I am nat 2 and I don't get signed out, but it usually takes forever to sign in.

Potato, I will check my routers firmware tomorrow. It's been awhile. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks guys and gals.

Message 7 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Apr 16, 2011

You really don't need UPnP, I personally don't like anything taking over my ports on my network. I like to have control over my network and add my ports. I would check for the latest version of firmware and install that. DMZ should work as that'll open all ports for a device on the network, otherwise you'll have to use port forwarding.

Nat 2 just means that your modem is connected through a router, Nat 1 doesn't and Nat 3 is when your completely blocked from the network. So Nat 2 isn't bad at all, you just need to open your ports or set the PS3 into DMZ mode on your router.

Message 8 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 16, 2011

I don't really see a problem with UPnP. It was introduced to avoid manual forwarding of entire ranges of ports, and let the software negotiate with the router. I imagine the only time you would have a security issue is if you ran some bad software on your computer to begin with. If you keep up with the latest security updates, have antivirus software, and watch your surfing/downloading habits, then you should be fine. I've been using it for years with no compromised computers nor malware. The biggest drawback that I can think of is the buggy implementation in some consumer routers when manufacturers rush them out the door. That's why it's critical to update router firmware.

DMZ is a great alternative if UPnP isn't working, but you need to set a static IP address for the PS3, one that doesn't overlap with the other devices. But then the entire device is exposed to the internet, without the router to protect it. I have a friend who has a really crummy D-Link router; DMZ worked great for him.

Manual port forwarding is an absolute last resort, since it was designed for services that use single, unchanging port numbers like web servers and FTP. Today's games aren't built with manual port forwarding in mind, and they use randomized ranges of ports. There are the PlayStation Network ports that don't change, but third-party games can use their own sets of ports.

Message 9 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Apr 17, 2011

I have seen allot of post lately that says that ppla are unable to connect, I know that it took me forever to connect, and I was unable to download anything. I have also seen a post that says the PSN has been hacked( Not fact).

Message 10 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes