May 03 2010
By: sravan Lombax Warrior 215 posts

My beloved PS3 doesn't read discs... please help!

19 replies 25628 views Edited May 3, 2010

Around 6 hours ago or so, I was enjoying a wonderful game of BFBC2 online... then I turned off my PS3 and went away. Just a few mins ago, I turned on my PS3 and realized that it wasn't reading discs! None of the discs I insert are getting recognized! Can anyone help me?! 

I am currently backing up and restoring my PS3 to factory settings. Hope it works... please help me ppl!

THE BLACK BEAST IS MINE.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.hcgamingnews.wordpress.com
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9669 posts

Re: My beloved PS3 doesn't read discs... please help!

May 3, 2010
Your blu-ray needs to be replaced. Doing it on your own will cost about $60...sending it out will cost between $110 and 180. Research or google the options for yourself.
bobtheenzyteguy Trophy Card

Kudos me, and I'll kudos you.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (25,628 Views)
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

May 3, 2010

I'm in the same situation.  I backed up my game saves and did a quick & full system restore but it still doesn't read discs.  I'm getting it replaced through Best Buy but they don't have any in stock right now.  It really sucks not being able to play disc based games!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3029 posts

May 3, 2010

sravan wrote:

Around 6 hours ago or so, I was enjoying a wonderful game of BFBC2 online... then I turned off my PS3 and went away. Just a few mins ago, I turned on my PS3 and realized that it wasn't reading discs! None of the discs I insert are getting recognized! Can anyone help me?! 

I am currently backing up and restoring my PS3 to factory settings. Hope it works... please help me ppl!

Let me guess; That clock face at the upper right corner is twirling around like it should, but the disc icon won't appear under the Game category? Mine does the same, Customer Support told me I'll need to send it in for service.

Not that I did that right away, I used multiple search engines, links, forums and other people through PSN. All of their advice and 'tricks' didn't work...

But 150$ isn't bad... Just... Meh.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

May 4, 2010

I did something even more foolish and worse. I did a full-system backup... but I forgot to backup the game saves.

Fortunately, I only did a Quick Format and restored my system... so I guess nothing was actually erased from the HDD. And even after that, the discs weren't getting recognized.

I hope a hard-disk recovery will get me my saves back... bloody me. 

THE BLACK BEAST IS MINE.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.hcgamingnews.wordpress.com
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3029 posts

May 5, 2010

sravan wrote:

I did something even more foolish and worse. I did a full-system backup... but I forgot to backup the game saves.

Fortunately, I only did a Quick Format and restored my system... so I guess nothing was actually erased from the HDD. And even after that, the discs weren't getting recognized.

I hope a hard-disk recovery will get me my saves back... bloody me. 

I'd laugh (:smileyvery-happy:), but that was almost me when I tried the same thing lol. I almost selected the wrong option :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1397 posts

May 5, 2010

sravan wrote:

for it to stop reading disc... will it help if you put in a CD CLEANER? might be worth a try =)

The 3 C's in Life: Choices, Chances, Changes. You Need To Make a Choice To Take A Chance Or Your Life Will Never Change.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 22, 2010

This happened to me today... for the SECOND time!!!!  Best part?  This time my PS3 isn't under warranty.  Thank you sony, for selling the world's second most exspensive paper weight.  Thinking of switching over to PC gaming for good.  Once again, thank you phony!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 19, 2010
My PS3 does not read any game discs ever since i did the system update on the the internet.

Please help me ,I'm very , very bored now
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 19, 2010

This same thing has happened to me.  I have tried everything shy of forking out the 150 to send it in to get it fixed and nothing has worked.  When it first happened, I did a file system restore and that fixed it for about a week, but then I had the same problem again.  Now, I can turn my system on, play about 2 games of mw2 online, and then it freezes up and I have to flip the hard shut off switch on the back of the system.  I can then run a fan test and turn my system back on and it works fine again for about two games.  I also tried buying a blu ray disc drive cleaner, one made especially for the PS3 and that didn't work either.  I really don't think it's a problem with the blu ray drive as after running the fan test it will read a disc just fine, but then it freezes. I think it has something to do with the system overheating, but I don't know what else to do to fix it.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (25,628 Views)
0 Likes