Feb 03 2012
By: submission44 Wastelander 758 posts

My Vita demo experience..Best Buy and Gamestop

9 replies 25 views Edited Feb 3, 2012

O.k I went out yesterday ( my day off ) to try the Vita for the 1st time.   Called Best Buy and they said they had 2 Vita's to try.  Wife and I went there asked if I could see the Vita.  They brought it right out.  The guy had it around his neck.  He handed it to me.  It was already on,,so the first thing I noticed was the screen.  I know everybody on here talks about the screen so I was expecting it to look good.  I honestly didn't think it would look THIS good.  It is UNBELIEVABLE!  The only way I can describe it size wise is..It looked like half of an I pad.( I know that may be exagerated but that's the first thing I thought when I saw it )..I was very shocked, and I've seen hundreds of videos so I thought I wouldn't be. Then my wife came over and said,  " Oh, it just looks like a PSP"  The sales associate brought over a psp 3000 and put it beside the Vita.  My wife was even shocked.  If you guys watch youtube videos comparing the 2 and you think they look different..Go to a store and compare it is SOOOOOO much different....REALLY different!!! 

WEIGHT:  I know everybody says how light the Vita is.  Since I've heard that 1000x, I guess I was expecting it to be as light as the psp 3000.  I'm here to tell you..It's not.  I thought it felt heavier and more substantial.  I loved it's size and weight. Not too light..Not too heavy just perfect.

CONTROLS:  The dpads ARE smaller than the psp.  Just like evrybody else said,  there's more of a click feeling than the psp..which I liked a lot.  The dual analogs are small.  IMO they had the right amount of resistance in movement.  ( more on this later )

GAMING:  Best Buy's Vita was not tied down to anything..which I liked so I could tell what it REALLY felt like.  Bad part they only had one demo game..Deviants.  This game was fun to show off the FEATURES of the Vita.  My wife loved the AR mini game where you shoot deviants using your own surroundings.  I thought there might be some lag when you moved around..there was none!  This game at a lower price is a buy for me lot's of fun. To be honest though, I was there to play something that showed off dual analog sticks and graphics...UNCHARTED.  Best Buy only had deviants..Dumb move on their part. He did however show off the trophy features.  SOO COOL!

GAMESTOP:  1 hour later...went to my Gamestop.  They had the Vita on display with it connected with some apparatus with a metal cord.  I didn't like that at all.  They had Uncharted,  Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush, Virtua Tennis, Deviants and Escape Plan,  so I was happy and there was nobody else in the store..ALL MINE!!!!!  1st up..UNCHARTED.  This was a demo version of the game.  It was Chapter 4 when Drake's trying to get out of the Burning building.  I was hoping they would have a difrent chapter so I could shoot somebody LOL. 1st off, the graphics are ridiculous. YES THIS IS A PS3 GAME IN YOUR HANDS When I first started walking around with Drake, I noticed I was only using one stick. ( used to the psp )  Then I grabbed the other stick and I was in Dual Analog HEAVEN!  The response was perfect.  I didn't even blink it was just like PS3 controls.  I read a lot of reviews with people saying the dual analogs would take some getting used to.  NOT FOR ME!!  They are PERFECTION!!   I played through the demo twice.  Once with, and once without touch screen mechanics.  I thought that I would prefer not using touch..I was happily wrong.  Touching the screen to move in this chapter was great.  There's a part in the demo where you have to swipe the screen in certain directions to cut this cloth material door with a machete.  It was very satisfying and perfectly responsive.  GRAVITY RUSH:  First off cell shading in this game did not standout like borderlands.  Once I got used to the controls,  I was having some fun with this one.  WIPEOUT:  Great graphics.  controls were tight.  Racing games are not my thing but, I can see why people are excited about this one.  The videos don't do it justice.  When I first saw the videos I thought it looked like the psp version.  Believe me it's tons better.  The demo however wouldn't let me play 1st person sixaxis control view.  That's what I wanted to see oh well solid game for racing fans. TENNIS:  didn't play it sorry.  ESCAPE PLAN:  I might have been doing it wrong but it didn't seem very responsive.  I probably didn't put enough time in this one but so far I didn't like it sorry. 

Overall,  FEB 22 seems further away now.   I am the biggest pessimest skeptic in the world..so I was actually looking for something wrong with the Vita.  It's just not there!!

PEOPLE,  IF YOU ARE ON THE FENCE ABOUT THE VITA GO TO BEST BUY OR GAMESTOP AND LOOK AT IT.  BELIEVE ME VIDEOS AND TALK DO NOTHING COMPARED TO SEEING IT!!!!

Message 1 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Re: My Vita demo experience..Best Buy and Gamestop

Feb 3, 2012

So ... I guess you liked it

You had me at UNBELIEVABLE.

Message 2 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
159 posts

Feb 3, 2012

Thanks for your review! It was very detailed and informative.   It made me even more stoked about getting Vita.  Glad I preordered the early release one.!!

Message 3 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Feb 3, 2012

Same here I'm friggin stoked now, haha.

I'm waiting till I actually get the Vita until I try it out.

Cause once I start playing it I won't want to set it down. Haha.

Message 4 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
557 posts

Feb 3, 2012

Ze_Travvy wrote:

Same here I'm friggin stoked now, haha.

I'm waiting till I actually get the Vita until I try it out.

Cause once I start playing it I won't want to set it down. Haha.

Me to I dont wont to tuch a vita untill i get my own becuse when i get it dont wont to just have to give it back

to anyone.. I wont my hands and my hands on it only.

But that said realy nice post.

The only gamer that's never played a game.
Message 5 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Feb 3, 2012

Oh I will check it out.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 6 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Feb 3, 2012

That's kinda the way I was.   I actually went there to see it because I was trying to sorta talk myself out of it.   ( Sometimes when you have kids you have buying remorse BEFORE you actually buy something.)  I am very conservative most of the time.   I also know that in life you sometimes ( rarely ) got to say, " What the Hell "  When I saw that screen and held the Vita,  I knew it was one of those times

Message 7 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Feb 3, 2012

I'm praying they have one in my area. OMG.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

Message 8 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1470 posts

Feb 3, 2012

i got to stop reading these reviews getting me very excited.

Message 9 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Feb 3, 2012

February 22. The wait is torture.

Message 10 of 10 (25 Views)
0 Likes