Reply
Dec 29 2012
By: baleverence First Son 1 posts
Offline

My PlayStation 2 game won't work on my PS3. WHY??

[ Edited ]
5 replies 195 views Edited Dec 29, 2012

Why doesn't my PS2 Mega Man Anniversary Edition Game work on my PS3? Isn't the PS3 backward compatible, so PS2 games work on it? Aren't PS2 games compatible with the PS3?

 

PLEASE HELP! 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (195 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
25947 posts
 

Re: My PlayStation 2 game won't work on my PS3. WHY??

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2012

baleverence wrote:

Why doesn't my PS2 Mega Man Anniversary Edition Game work on my PS3? Isn't the PS3 backward compatible, so PS2 games work on it? Aren't PS2 games compatible with the PS3?

 

PLEASE HELP! 


Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

 

No, PS2 games are not compatible with the PS3, onlt the older "FAT" PS3's, the ones with 4 USB ports are backwards compatible.


Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (185 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My PlayStation 2 game won't work on my PS3. WHY??

Dec 29, 2012
Most PS3 models don't play PS2 games anymore. Only older PS3 models released in 2006-2007 can play PS2 games.

All PS3 models can play PSone games however...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (182 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My PlayStation 2 game won't work on my PS3. WHY??

Dec 29, 2012
I'm not surprised that anyone might be confused about this from now on, now that Sony makes a vague reference to this on the box, and no mention of it in the instruction pamphlet inside the box...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (155 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
14168 posts
 

Re: My PlayStation 2 game won't work on my PS3. WHY??

Dec 29, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I'm not surprised that anyone might be confused about this from now on, now that Sony makes a vague reference to this on the box, and no mention of it in the instruction pamphlet inside the box...

It doesn't help that people simply assume it just because its a PLAYSTATION console.

 

I just got the Super Slim for Christmas and nowhere on the box does it even hint at any B/C for PS2 games, only PS1 games, and its in tiny print.

 

 

In the beginning when Sony initially removed it from the 40/80Gb non-chrome bezel, not to be confused with the WHITE BOX MGS 80Gb Bundle, would have been helpful because at that point it was confusing for people when there were 20/60/80Gb and 40/80Gb non-B/C consoles on store shevles together.

But NOW? Since the Slim's release. It should have been a non-issue if it was mentioned on the boxes of previous SKU's.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (135 Views)
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My PlayStation 2 game won't work on my PS3. WHY??

Dec 30, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I'm not surprised that anyone might be confused about this from now on, now that Sony makes a vague reference to this on the box, and no mention of it in the instruction pamphlet inside the box...

It doesn't help that people simply assume it just because its a PLAYSTATION console.

 

I just got the Super Slim for Christmas and nowhere on the box does it even hint at any B/C for PS2 games, only PS1 games, and its in tiny print.

 

 

In the beginning when Sony initially removed it from the 40/80Gb non-chrome bezel, not to be confused with the WHITE BOX MGS 80Gb Bundle, would have been helpful because at that point it was confusing for people when there were 20/60/80Gb and 40/80Gb non-B/C consoles on store shevles together.

But NOW? Since the Slim's release. It should have been a non-issue if it was mentioned on the boxes of previous SKU's.


IMO there weren't too many instances where BC PS3s and non-BC PS3s were on the store shelves at the same time. 20GB PS3 weren't manufactured very long, and quickly dissappeared. 60GB PS3s were manufactured unitl April 2007 and lasted on store shelves until that fall when it was replaced by the 80GB. The BC 80GB & the non-BC 40GB co-existed from Fall '07 to Spring '08, when the BC 80GB was discontinued. The MGS 80GB was brought back with the launch of MGS4 in '08, and quickly sold out. In the Fall '08 Sony brought out the non-BC 80GB PS3.

 

I believe because the system is called the PS3, there is going to be that built in expectation that it can run PS2 games. I think it was a good idea that the Vita was not called the PSP2, so it would not be assumed it could play PSP games, and I think the next PlayStation system will not be called the PS4 so Sony can avoid this same issue...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (126 Views)
Reply
0 Likes