Reply
Dec 05 2011
By: Yigytugd Treasure Hunter 8630 posts
Offline

My PSV Experience + News

25 replies 28 views Edited Dec 5, 2011

Just got back from the Playstation Vita Demo at Discover Mills Mall (in Lawrenceville, Georgia) and got a good amount of info from the people there and from searching around the PSV.

-There is no plans for an HDMI or Video out. They expect for third party creators to make the option available. 
-All games appear to be playable in full screen via RemotePlay on the PS3. (games that were on display were Wipeout 2048 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss)
-There is 2 separate USB ports. One on top for Vita to transfer data to and from and one on the bottom for USB Charging.
-The current System Software is 1.05 (there was an option to update the System Software but an error occurred. This might have happened due to the low internet connection.)
-Welcome Park will be updated over time with more mini games.
-You need a Memory Card for taking pictures (dah)
-You can have a maximum of 6 programs / games running at once but not sure if a future update will add more or if I was able to put more.
-You can connect devices thru Blue Tooth. Every BT device around you will be visible. The employees running the event suggested that in the future, we will be able to play the PSV with PS3 controllers via Blue Tooth.

As a few side notes; The console is extremely responsive. Programs load extremely quickly (games taking longer to load). When the system turns on from a cold boot, the PS Icon (Home Button) glows Blue for a few seconds. The back and front camera's work great in low light and have a great quality. My only issue was that the buttons are way to small. Literally all the buttons were too small. The buttons did not work with conjunction with the touchpad. I could touch a button for a app but not use the D-Pad to click it. That needs to be fixed for people that don't want to use the touchscreen that much. The analog sticks felt good but not a great upgrade from the feeling the PSP has. Maybe if it was indented.

I didn't get to test out everything because they didn't have everything set up but they will on Friday and I should have more info for you all.

Message 10 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

@Yigytugd well the ps vita's analog sticks are sticks psp uses a slider. to me sticks are much better then sliders.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 1 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

Yigytugd wrote:

Just got back from the Playstation Vita Demo at Discover Mills Mall (in Lawrenceville, Georgia) and got a good amount of info from the people there and from searching around the PSV.

-There is no plans for an HDMI or Video out. They expect for third party creators to make the option available. 
-All games appear to be playable in full screen via RemotePlay on the PS3. (games that were on display were Wipeout 2048 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss)
-There is 2 separate USB ports. One on top for Vita to transfer data to and from and one on the bottom for USB Charging.
-The current System Software is 1.05 (there was an option to update the System Software but an error occurred. This might have happened due to the low internet connection.)
-Welcome Park will be updated over time with more mini games.
-You need a Memory Card for taking pictures (dah)
-You can have a maximum of 6 programs / games but not sure if a future update will add more or if I was able to put more.
-You can connect devices thru Blue Tooth. Every BT device around you will be visible. The employees running the event suggested that in the future, we will be able to play the PSV with PS3 controllers via Blue Tooth.

As a few side notes; The console is extremely responsive. Programs load extremely quickly (games taking longer to load). When the system turns on from a cold boot, the PS Icon (Home Button) glows Blue for a few seconds. The back and front camera's work great in low light and have a great quality. My only issue was that the buttons are way to small. Literally all the buttons were too small. The buttons did not work with conjunction with the touchpad. I could touch a button for a app but not use the D-Pad to click it. That needs to be fixed for people that don't want to use the touchscreen that much. The analog sticks felt good but not a great upgrade from the feeling the PSP has. Maybe if it was indented.

I didn't get to test out everything because they didn't have everything set up but they will on Friday and I should have more info for you all.

I was there at Discover Mills earlier in the week and every seemed to be set up to me. What wasn't set up yet?

Message 2 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/27/2008
Offline
5189 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

Yigytugd wrote:

... 
-All games appear to be playable in full screen via RemotePlay on the PS3. (games that were on display were Wipeout 2048 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss)

Why would they not be fullscreen? I didn't expect anything else, a 16x9 PS3 will of course be a scaled down version on a 16x9 PSV screen. Not all games will be playable however, it depends on the developer to implement it.
-There is 2 separate USB ports. One on top for Vita to transfer data to and from and one on the bottom for USB Charging. I see there is an accessory port on the top but there is not a USB port on the PSV, there is a multiport on the bottom.
-The current System Software is 1.05 (there was an option to update the System Software but an error occurred. This might have happened due to the low internet connection.) It  could also be that there is not a place on the PSN for it to search for firmware updates yet or no updates available.
....

Message 3 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/20/2006
Offline
8630 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

I went early last week and only Mod Nation Racers and LittleDeviants was set up. I guess they finally got everything up and going.

Message 4 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/20/2006
Offline
8630 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Yigytugd wrote:

... 
-All games appear to be playable in full screen via RemotePlay on the PS3. (games that were on display were Wipeout 2048 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss)

Why would they not be fullscreen? I didn't expect anything else, a 16x9 PS3 will of course be a scaled down version on a 16x9 PSV screen. Not all games will be playable however, it depends on the developer to implement it.
-There is 2 separate USB ports. One on top for Vita to transfer data to and from and one on the bottom for USB Charging. I see there is an accessory port on the top but there is not a USB port on the PSV, there is a multiport on the bottom.
-The current System Software is 1.05 (there was an option to update the System Software but an error occurred. This might have happened due to the low internet connection.) It  could also be that there is not a place on the PSN for it to search for firmware updates yet or no updates available.
....

I expected the games to be playable in a smaller scale like the PSP was with video out.

That is the answer I got when I asked about charging and data transfering. Didn't get a good look at the system (too excited playing the PSV to notice everything) but when I go back next week, I'll try to take some pictures to make sure. They said the top has a USB port to transfer data while the bottom has another port for USB charging.

It actually said there was an update avaiable but I couldn't get it to update. Not sure if there was a PSV Card in the device so that might have been another reason.

Message 5 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8193 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

Yigytugd wrote:


-All games appear to be playable in full screen via RemotePlay on the PS3. (games that were on display were Wipeout 2048 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss)

Whoa, whoa, did you mean that you can play Vita games and stream them to the PS3 for full game play? Or is it the other way around?

Yigytugd wrote:


-There is no plans for an HDMI or Video out. They expect for third party creators to make the option available. 

Hopefully it doesn't involve pulling the Vita apart. I'd love to record Vita games for my Youtube. ^,=,^

(But knowing how the PSP-1000's third party AV-out worked, it probably will be involving pulling the system apart. -.=.-)

Anyway it's good that they show the demos around. I wish they had some in Toronto, Canada.

Message 6 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

I didn't notice a USB port on the top, just the power button, volume buttons, and two ports which I presume are the ports for the memory card and the game card. I'm pretty sure that the only USB port is on the bottom that both charges the and transfers data.

IMO I wouldn't take whatever the attendants say about the product too literally. I asked plenty of technical questions about it, and their answers were very vague and not to my satisfaction. I would say they those attendants are just temps with cursory knowledge about the Vita, more than good enough for the general public, but not enough whom needed more technical information...

Message 7 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

I didn't see any demonstrations of remote play with the Vita. The Wipeout Vita/PS3 demonstration was to show off the cross play functionality between a PS3 and the Vita playing a game against each other, but each had their own separate games (Wipeout HD on the PS3 & Wipeout 2048 on the Vita).

From what I saw Uncharted was playing separately on the Vita & Uncharted 3 was being demonstrated right behind in on the 3D PS Display. AFAIK the Uncharted games didn't have any remote play functionality...

Message 8 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/20/2006
Offline
8630 posts
 

Re: My PSV Experience + News

Dec 5, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I didn't see any demonstrations of remote play with the Vita. The Wipeout Vita/PS3 demonstration was to show off the cross play functionality between a PS3 and the Vita playing a game against each other, but each had their own separate games (Wipeout HD on the PS3 & Wipeout 2048 on the Vita).

From what I saw Uncharted was playing separately on the Vita & Uncharted 3 was being demonstrated right behind in on the 3D PS Display. AFAIK the Uncharted games didn't have any remote play functionality...

I didn't get to play and only got a quick look at what was going on (since it wasn't playable or on display yet) but I figured that that would have been it but host said otherwise. But who can trust host when I know more than they do about the console.

Message 9 of 26 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes