Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 09 2012
By: amy138003 First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

My PS3 won't play games, login to internet, or play netflix all of the sudden?

8 replies 632 views Edited Apr 9, 2012

I was watching Netflix last night and the internet just stopped working, which is normal considering we are using a wireless router through our apartment community, so I put in a blue ray and while I was watching it, the whole PS3 shut down and restarted with a full restoration.  It reset all of our settings and now all our usernames have and asterisk (*) next to them.  The internet says it is connected but cannot obtain an IP address so of course none of the internet functions will work (even though I am showing 100% signal strength and the internet settings are showing connected)  and I can't play any games at all since it is giving me an error saying that another player has the trophies or something like that and there is an error message.  What do I do now?

Amy - Phoenix, AZ

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Re: My PS3 won't play games, login to internet, or play netflix all of the sudden?

Apr 9, 2012

you may need to be sure the internet settings are set correctly in the ps3..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: My PS3 won't play games, login to internet, or play netflix all of the sudden?

Apr 9, 2012

I have checked the settings several times and am very familiar with setting the internet connections.  It is certainly something more severe than just the internet connection settings.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4528 posts

Apr 9, 2012

It sounds to me llike your accounts got deactivated.  You'll need to be able to reconnect to activate them.  Also, 100% signal strength doesn't mean it's connected to the internet, just to the network, so maybe your apartment internet is out.  It could be a PSN issue also, but I haven't had problems or heard of any yesterday.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 9, 2012

Does anyone know why the games won't work at all then, or why my PS3 did a full complete dump of all my settings, like it restored the original settings all by itself for no apparant reason at all?  And how do I get everything back?  All I was doing was watching a movie when it decided that it needed to restore all data like it was corrupted.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Apr 9, 2012

Is this a slim system or a fat one?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

Apr 9, 2012

I have never experienced anything like this but it sounds like your PS3 is on it's last leg. If at all possible you should probably try to back up your stuff before it's too late. As far as not being able to play any games, I am really not sure about that. Is it not reading the disks? Like the blu-ray drive is not functioning properly? Or (which I believe you stated above) is it giving you an error message. The specific error message may help another community member figure out how to help.

To my knowledge you are not required to log in to PSN to play any games that you have a physical copy of. Do you have any game (or access to any game) that you have not previously played on this system? Meaning that it would not have any game saves or trophies associated with it to try out? I would try that and see what happens, even if only for the sake of a better diagnosis.

Other then that, and as much as I hate to say it (mostly bc it is a pain and the customer service is abysmal) it's time to call Sony and see if they can help. I am not a technical expert about the hardware, but like I said I definitely feel like that system's days are numbered.

Another, I'll say "less than honorable" option would be to back everything up and trade it in to GameStop for a new system. Repairs on PS3's are rather costly. Often times nearly as expensive (I did say "nearly") as replacing the unit. With a decent trade in offer (they run specials quite frequently regarding trade-ins) you may be at a price point along the lines of a repair, except you will have a newer system, a new warranty, the option to buy an extended warranty, and hopefully a larger hard drive then what you currently have.

The reason I said "less than honorable" is because YOU are aware that the system is going up/having issues but GameStop would not necessarily know that. Especially if you are able to throw in a game that you had not previously played and it works. They will test it at the store, but it's just a quick thing to make sure that it plays a game or not... I wouldn't feel too bad about it either since in a lot of ways GameStop rips folks off (don't get me wrong I love GameStop but their trade-in values on used games is a joke.) and you won't be necessarily dumping the bad unit into some unsuspecting person's lap. IF they were to re-sell that unit with doing any type of refurb to it, they fully warranty their used consoles and the next owner would simply have to return it for another.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 9, 2012

It is a slim system, and a brand new one at that.  I just bought it in February and it is the newest, latest edition.  I will call Sony and see if they will cover it under their warranty.  Thank you for your advice and help.  I will try all that and see what happens.  As far as not playing the games, they will start to load but the error message will come up about 15 seconds into the game starting and I can't get past that.  Thanks again all

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

Apr 9, 2012

Good luck with Sony, hopefully they will take care of everything without any issues.

I believe their factory warranty is for 90 days, so if you purchased your unitl in February it should still be covered. I would appreciate it if you could later post a follow-up on the forums or even in this thread describing your experience and how Sony handled the situation.

Not because I have some sort of "angle" in mind, just out of pure curiosity... I personally have had several negative experiences with their customer service.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (632 Views)
0 Likes