Jun 25 2011
By: Ziggles_hb First Son 9 posts
Accepted Solution

My PS3 froze, how do I fix it?

8 replies 4210 views Edited Jun 25, 2011

What happened was that in the middle of playing Uncharted 2, my screen froze and green and white lines appeared on my screen and soon my entire screen was fuzzing with visual glitches. When I tryed to bring up the XMB, I found out my controller didn't work for some reason. I turned the system off and a day later I turned it back on. Now no images appear and the only way to turn off the system is by unplugging it. (I own the PS3 Slim) What happened and what can I do to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: My PS3 froze, how do I fix it?

Jun 25, 2011
Message 2 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
957 posts

Jun 25, 2011

hmm did you get get 3 fast beeps, then a blinky light?

2 things, the flash rom in it got corrupted or one of the GPUs is dying in it. it won't be long befor it will not come back on. best get it serviced befor it dies or if it can't be servced then they will send you the "Coffin" (plays taps) . Freezing at any rate is not a good sign. it is a sign of failure.

Message 3 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 26, 2011

I tried Safe Mode and guess what? The visual glitch occured as soon as the instructions popped up. Then later when i got through the entire process, while the PS3 symbol appeared on screen, the glitch happened again. -_- Should i just send it in for repair or is their something else i can do?

Message 4 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Jun 27, 2011
Message 5 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
957 posts

Jun 29, 2011

Safe Mode is a mode in which you can go in and re-load the same update to help cure certain issues. There are instructions on how to get to it on youtube and google. but in truth, I would advise calling up support services and let them know what is going on. also make note if freinds are having the same issue if they are, then make sure you get that info as well. because it could be bad programing on Sony's part.

Right Now Sony is being scrutinized very closely becasue of all that has happend of late.

I am not Putting Sony Down, I am jsut stating a fact that they are indeed having a lot of issues and those issues are being passed on to us the consumer.

My best advice I can give and the most Honest is to call up Support Services. It ver well could be a corrupt ROM.

Don't be surprised if your system is follwed up up by a YDL and then a continued  flashing Red LED for a fewseconds, when that happens the system is toasted.

I say this from expeiereince. My system did not over heat.

at any rate get the thing checked out by Sony.

Message 6 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jun 29, 2011

Visual glitches as described are likely GPU related. Firmware issues would not cause those symptoms. The PS3 will need to be serviced.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 7 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 8, 2012

hey heres a little info about your problem that is caused by power lines that makes a Radio Frequency Interference or RFI. This RFI is being picked up by audio video cable that can be seen to TV screen, Try to spread away those two cable apart to minimize the RFI signal being picked up.

If that does'nt work try this

1.Get your PS3 all set up, and plug everything in, except the power cord.

2.Examine your power cord, the part that goes into the electrical socket.

3.Notice how there are 3 prongs, 2 flat ones, and a 3rd cylindrical prong on the bottom.

4.Find some sort of chord extension, that has room for the 2 flat sockets, and not the 3rd

5.Plug it in, and do not have the third prong connected!

6.Turn on your PS3 with no trouble.

7.WARNING THIS WILL UNGROUND THE SYSTEM CAUSING IT TO FRY IF THERE IS A POWER SURGE

thank you i hope this helps.

Message 8 of 9 (4,210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 9, 2012

mine did the same thing while playing madden now when i turn it on i have no picture and none of my controllers will turn on

Message 9 of 9 (3,869 Views)
0 Likes