Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 29 2012
By: TriP6963 Monster Hunter 37 posts

My PS3 YLOD.

[ Edited ]
3 replies 112 views Edited Aug 29, 2012

So picked up my fat 40 GB PS3 back in Feb. 08.  It finally gave in and shutdown in the middle of watching a video.   I managed to get the game in the system out with the eject power off on trick.  And have most of everything cloud saved... except Counter Strike and No more heroes (just started the game so not a big loses, plated. CS so not sweating that ether).  Just a little disappointed.  Kind of stupidly deleted my backup of my old hard drive so will have to re download everything, not really digging that.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to do?  I called my local Sony service center and they mention I might be able to get a small discount on a slim model, something like 30% off the price, but they say I have to wait for few weeks before they get the PS3.... sounds like an overpriced refurbish model.  If that’s the case will probably fork up the extra 30% for a new. No options for repairs with them cuz it’s a NTSC model.

Kind of sucks anyone with some advice on what to do... I live in India so keep that in mind.  And yes I have seen the YouTube fix it yourself videos.  Probably won’t go that route unless I know the 30% off is for only a refurbish.  Plus my model wasn't launch so it isn’t backwards compatible.  Makes little sense to go out of the way for a temporary fix just so that I can back up my hard drive.  Not to mention backing up a 300 GB would take at least 24 hours none stop.  Which is super painful.  On the flip side downloading all that data back would take a few a months at least.

Just venting I guess, bet there are a ton of posts just like this.

Not having a PS3 for how ever long it takes me to sort this nonsense out is a little depressing.

Message 1 of 4 (112 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: My PS3 YLOD.

Aug 29, 2012
Since you are in India, there isn't really anything I can suggest for you. Fortunately you do have your saves in the cloud so you can get them back.

I just suggest you get a PS3 Slim, and download all your media over time...
Message 2 of 4 (106 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5651 posts

Aug 29, 2012
Best advice is to call Sony support and see maybe they could give you a slim model at a reduced fare.

Message 3 of 4 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Sep 10, 2012

So ended up taking the old PS3 to the Sony Service Center and got a 30% off the retail rate on a new 160 GB Slim. 

Swaped the hard drive for my 1 TB and started the slow process of redownloading everything.

Message 4 of 4 (61 Views)
0 Likes