Jan 13 2010
By: DLewis84 First Son 7 posts

My PS3 Slim Won't Play PS3 Games....But Everything Else Works

8 replies 4466 views Edited Jan 13, 2010

Hey whats up guys, just got my PS3 Slim a couple of weeks ago (Xmas present to myself), and its been working pretty good despite some of the early-on problems I've been hearing about it. But now I have a problem of my own with the slim; for some reason, ps3 games won't work on my system at all, they won't load up. I haven't had problems with anything else--I've been able to download content from the Playstation Store (both movies and games) and they work fine on the system, ps1 games on disc work fine, internet works fine, everything. But as soon as I put a ps3 game in and try to play it, the disc won't load and I get this error message (forgot what it said, something about error starting up the game). The weird thing is, when you highlight the game before playing it, the disc icon still shows and everything, it just doesn't load up afterwards. I tried looking up the error code on the support site (80010017) and it said that it couldn't be found. I've also tried playing regular dvd movies and they work just fine....so what could be the problem? I rented 2 games from Gamefly and they both didn't work so I'm guessing its the lens....? Anyone else have this problem with the ps3 slim and maybe have a solution for it? Hope you guys can help a brotha out! Thanks!

P.S.--and yes I have the latest update

Message 1 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
400 posts

Re: My PS3 Slim Won't Play PS3 Games....But Everything Else Works

Jan 13, 2010

Smiley Happy Well the latest update is your problem.

Skim through some of the replies on this thread and see if anything sounds familiar. 

It's been happening to the best of us since the 3. series of firmware updates were released.
Message Edited by Panama2011 on 01-12-2010 08:10 PM
Message 2 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28675 posts

Jan 13, 2010

Clearly there is a problem with the Blu-ray disk laser or decoder circuity in your PS3's Blu-ray drive.  The drive uses a completely separate head to read CDs and CD-ROMs, so those only confirm that the drive isn't completely dead.  Whether the failure was caused by upgrading to System 3.X, or not, is a matter of conjecture at this point.  Lots of people upgraded and did not have this problem, but a small percentage did.  Either way, given that your PS3 is so new, I would advise making a system backup to a USB drive, and then either returning it to the place of purchase (if there is still time), or sending it to Sony for replacement.  No one seems to have been able to resolve this problem, with or without Sony's help.  Any replacement PS3 that Sony sends you will be running System 3.15, and be able to read Blu-ray disks.

GKP

GKP
Message 3 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
393 posts

Jan 13, 2010
same thing happend with my fat ps3 ended up buying a new 1 cause they wanted 150 to fix it.
Message 4 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 13, 2010

Well I got the ps3 from a Target near my house, but I no longer have the reciept or box to return it (I know stupid me). As soon as I got the system, it updated to System 3.15 but ps3 games won't work for some reason. I think your right about the bluray driver/lens acting up though....the thing is if I send it in, that ish is gonna take forever to get back...I just might end up getting a newer one instead if push comes to shove. The one I have now is the 250gb (they didn't have anymore 120gb so I bought the other one), so if I get a new one it'll be the 120gb instead.

Thanks for the help though appreciate it!

Message 5 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28675 posts

Jan 13, 2010

It won't take long at all to get it back, because you almost certainly won't be getting the same one back.  Standard procedure in the Playstation service department is to ship the customer a factory-refurbished PS3 of the same model, rather than fixing the customer's original unit and sending it back.  This procedure is the bane of people unwise enough to not back up their hard disks regularly (they lose all of their game saves), but it does provide a rapid and consistent turn-around for service customers.  One hitch though.  As you don't have the receipt, you won't get the free warranty repair that you would otherwise be entitled to.  You will have to pay $150 for the replacement PS3, but that is still half the price of a 120GB at retail.  The box doesn't matter.  For out-of-warranty repairs particularly, Sony doesn't expect you to still have it.  They will send you a suitable box for shipping.

GKP

GKP
Message 6 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jan 13, 2010

Same problem here...my PS3 FAT 80GB with 1,5 year/half and after this firmware updagrade the disc based games dont work...

Its too much coincidence isnt?

Message 7 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jan 13, 2010

It seems the 3.XX update is kinda random when it comes to this.

I installed the Firmware Update the hour I got a slim and I'm able to do everything still.

Don't know what to tell you.

Message 8 of 9 (4,466 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 4, 2012

My step son seems to be having issues with the slim PS3 too. he brought the 5oogb slim PS3 could not get any of his games to work. did a reboot and it seemed to work fine till the next day when again he could not load a game. took it back and the shop exchanged it for another one, got it home set it up and guess what!!!! yep your right it did not work.

Is it worth trying to do a software update to see if that works before I take it back and ask for a refund?

Message 9 of 9 (3,850 Views)
0 Likes