Jul 30 2012
By: OAnesthetic4u First Son 10 posts

My PS3 Keeps Shutting Itself Off.

7 replies 1832 views Edited Jul 30, 2012

So here's my problem. I have one of the oldest model PS3s and it is constantly turning itself off on specific games. I will just be playing it and the screen will go black and the machine will beap three times, I then have to press reset twice and click OK twice to get it to go through a repair process and start. At first I thought I was getting the yellow light of death, but its not that. It has happened at least 150 times and I am sick of it.

It also has no predictability. Some times I will be playing a game for hours in the middle of a hot day and it wont turn off for hours, other times I will be playing on a realtively cool night and it wont stop turning off within minutes of turning the game on.

The PS3 is out in the open air with a box fan blowing into the back vents and another fan blowing on the underside through a stand. The vents are immaculate.

It only turns off on BF3, BFBC2, Saints Row The Third(By far the worst offender its a miracle when I can get though one mission without it turning off twice. Though when I can I usually get through about 10), and Just Cause 2. Games like Rage, Arkhm City, and  Skyrim have no problems playing.

What the hell is wrong?

Message 1 of 8 (1,832 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: My PS3 Keeps Shutting Itself Off.

Jul 30, 2012
It's probably a good idea to backup your game saves now if you haven't done so already. Your PS3 might be need service soon, preferably at a third-party repair shop. The YLOD simply indicates a general hardware failure. It doesn't need to come on.

At first glance, it doesn't sound like a power supply, since the power isn't being cut off abruptly. It sounds like your PS3 is crashing because you get the triple beep.

Do you notice a difference between disc games and downloadable games?
Message 2 of 8 (1,824 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 30, 2012

No I don't notice a difference. Saints Row The third, BF3, and BC2 are all games I have on disk, but Just Cause is one I got on download.

Also this problem has existed for several months now. I dont think the system is on the verg of dieing all together. Even so all my stuff is already backed up.

I think you are right that it's crashing, but all it does is turn it self off. Like the YLOD.

Message 3 of 8 (1,819 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 30, 2012

exactly samething happening to me when playing Saints Row The third only this game shuts down my PS3. I suspect some corrupted data is the problem, but I already do the FULL FORMAT which took 7hrs and it didnt fix it.

I also done open chasis cleaning and replaced old thermal paste.

Probably i have a bad corrupted game, but cannot confirm it since Iam the only who play this game in the neighborhood.

Tonight i will try to return to HDD maybe the game is not compatible to run on SSDs.

I have a FAT PS3 80GB model upgraded to 120SSD.

Message 4 of 8 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 30, 2012
I tried the stock HDD and it still shuts off at the beginning of the game.
Message 5 of 8 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Nov 30, 2012

Try reinstalling the firmware using Safe Mode and the PC/USB method.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 8 (1,425 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 1, 2012

ive had the same problem with my super slim just shutting off i tryed everything to fix this problem so i had no choice but to send it in

playin socom online shuts off bejeweled shuts off netflix shuts off really ticked me off paid good money for this too

Message 7 of 8 (1,401 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 2, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Try reinstalling the firmware using Safe Mode and the PC/USB method.

I give-up on Saint Row the Third then go on to other new games. **bleep**! Dishonored shuts off too at the middle of the game.

Will try reintalling the firmware using safemode this time. thanks

Message 8 of 8 (1,397 Views)
0 Likes