Reply
Jul 03 2010
By: Sailor1958 Wastelander 689 posts
Offline

Multiple PS3's

6 replies 12 views Edited Jul 3, 2010

Has anyone experience using the automatic update feature on more than one PS3?  I would assume that you would have to set different times for each but is there anything else to consider?  The literature suggests that games will also be automatically updated, if true, since I have some of the same games on both machines, will  they update on both machines?  Thanks in advance for any input.

Gray hair is a crown of spendor; it is attained by a rightous life.
Games: F1, Eye of Judgement, BFBC2, Sports Active 2, Shift 2 Unleashed, BF3. Games on order:
Message 1 of 7 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 11/29/2007
Offline
7586 posts
 

Re: Multiple PS3's

Jul 3, 2010

well, to use the automaticly update and download feature, you must turn it on under the PS3 settings, and keep your PS3 on, I can't be 100% sure on multiple systems though, but since the downloads comes from the network, you would need to be signed on to your PSN right? If so I don't think you can be signed into your PSN on 2 systems at the same time.

Message 2 of 7 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 07/15/2008
Offline
4787 posts
 

Re: Multiple PS3's

Jul 3, 2010
It's limited to one console, so if you enable it on a secondary console it will disable the first console's audo-download.
Message 3 of 7 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/07/2007
Offline
267 posts
 

Re: Multiple PS3's

Jul 4, 2010

You can only have it on one system? So when you enable it, it goes out and checks if any other system as it enabled and disables? I wonder how that works.. Hmm.

 

But as other have said, yeah, at a minimum you would have to schedule different times as you can only be logged in on one system at a time.

Message 4 of 7 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 12/15/2007
Offline
689 posts
 

Re: Multiple PS3's

Jul 4, 2010

chaos_789 wrote:

well, to use the automaticly update and download feature, you must turn it on under the PS3 settings, and keep your PS3 on, I can't be 100% sure on multiple systems though, but since the downloads comes from the network, you would need to be signed on to your PSN right? If so I don't think you can be signed into your PSN on 2 systems at the same time.


I thought that it would wake the sysem from standby??? If that is not true then yes it would only work with one system and really does not seem to be of any advantage (and both a waste of energy and potential risk to the unit from lightning, etc.).  Still not convinced that it will benefit me if it does not work on 2 systems.  Hey Sony, maybe someone there will answer.

Gray hair is a crown of spendor; it is attained by a rightous life.
Games: F1, Eye of Judgement, BFBC2, Sports Active 2, Shift 2 Unleashed, BF3. Games on order:
Message 5 of 7 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 09/17/2009
Online
19788 posts
 

Re: Multiple PS3's

Jul 4, 2010

 


JohnRKlein wrote:

You can only have it on one system? So when you enable it, it goes out and checks if any other system as it enabled and disables? I wonder how that works.. Hmm.

 


Actually, when each console logs in to update it checks to see if it is still subscribed on the server side.  If it isn't, then it disables itself.  It is possible to have the automatic downloads option enabled on more than one console, but only one console is actually subscribed.  The others will find that out within 24 hours, and disable the option themselves.

 

GKP
Message 6 of 7 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 12/20/2008
Offline
612 posts
 

Re: Multiple PS3's

Jul 4, 2010

 


Sailor1958 wrote:

chaos_789 wrote:

well, to use the automaticly update and download feature, you must turn it on under the PS3 settings, and keep your PS3 on, I can't be 100% sure on multiple systems though, but since the downloads comes from the network, you would need to be signed on to your PSN right? If so I don't think you can be signed into your PSN on 2 systems at the same time.


I thought that it would wake the sysem from standby??? If that is not true then yes it would only work with one system and really does not seem to be of any advantage (and both a waste of energy and potential risk to the unit from lightning, etc.).  Still not convinced that it will benefit me if it does not work on 2 systems.  Hey Sony, maybe someone there will answer.


It does wake it from standby, not sure about the multiple system part but it wakes it from standby, it says it on the blog specifcally, and says "This system will start automatically at the schedualed time, and will begin the download" on the option in the XMB.

 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 7 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes