Jul 12 2012
By: DROPxNxSHELLZ First Son 1 posts

More ps2 games off of the psn store

9 replies 835 views Edited Jul 12, 2012

Please bring back the game "tourist trophy" for download on the ps3! It was such a great bike simulator! There's many other great games as well but that's my number 1 pick as of now.

Message 1 of 10 (835 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: More ps2 games off of the psn store

Jul 12, 2012
Request it on PlayStation Blog.Share.

Sony doesn't read these boards...
Message 2 of 10 (833 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jul 12, 2012

I want to see more ps2 and ps1 games on the psn, but it might not happen.

Message 3 of 10 (817 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

Jul 12, 2012

its quite the conundrum, first they get rid of backwards compatability altogether which was a promised feature when sony released the PS3 and then they barely even offer any PS2 software for download at all!

its one thing to charge people twice to be able to play a game, but then they offer such a paltry selection of older titles for download?

its no wonder microsoft is taking over and will probably run the next generation of consoles market... however sad that makes me.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 4 of 10 (809 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jul 12, 2012

Cascadien wrote:

its quite the conundrum, first they get rid of backwards compatability altogether which was a promised feature when sony released the PS3 and then they barely even offer any PS2 software for download at all!

its one thing to charge people twice to be able to play a game, but then they offer such a paltry selection of older titles for download?

its no wonder microsoft is taking over and will probably run the next generation of consoles market... however sad that makes me.

How does mentioning Microsoft fit into this? Microsoft completely axxed B/C because even their limited library of original Xbox games were quite buggy.

Sony actually has to ask the developers to RECODE the PS2 game to run on the PS3 hardware. And doing so COSTS MONEY. The games have to have its own specific emulator to run on the PS3.

and Sony is not going to simply load the Store with hundreds of PS2 titles. Sony is selectively choosing the most viable games to be put on the Store, and even then its a massive crapshoot because the majority of these games barely sell over 100k, God Of War HD was the exception as it sold just over 1million. Some other games sold quite well, but the numbers dont lie.

Its also dependent on the developer themselves, some no longer exist, some dont even want to bother with recoding.

Besides, there are still MANY MANY MANY PS2s floating around Walmart, Best Buy and any other retail store shelves for about $70 brand new, and less than that on ebay and craigslist.

Heck, I even find a few BNIB PS1's and PSOne's (with and without the screen) every now and then.

This is the main aspect that people who beg for B/C fail to see..... Screw the excuse of "But it takes up more room, i want an ALL IN ONE console", its quite nonsense, especially when even 10 PS2/PS1 games take up much more space.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 10 (797 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 13, 2012

Cascadien wrote:

The former SCE president was an advocate of BC, was fired because of the cost overruns and the expense in development of the PS3. The new management felt it was more important to sell PS3 games, so they got rid of PS2 BC. For the most part Sony and other publishers have made HD remakes of their most popular titles, and I think they pretty much covered all of them. The PS2 downloads on PSN was an unexpected surprised and will fill in with some of those sleeper PS2 hits...

Message 6 of 10 (780 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28675 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2012

Cascadien wrote:

For the unitiated, Microsoft officially ceased adding games to the 360 backward compatibility list back in...

November of 2007! That's right. For all of the complaining about Sony dropping backward compatibility, it seems that Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" that some want to believe they are, and dropped it soon after themselves. Don't believe me? 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2552032

So falling back on "but... but... but... but... but... Microsoft?!" doesn't work. 

Message 7 of 10 (777 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Sep 4, 2012

it all comes down to money more than just mysterious tech issues. more money must be made in selling more new and less old . the ps2 gta trilogy with just upscaled graphics would sell big numbers on psn and with 150 hours or more gameplay gamers may not purchase as many new over hyped games that gamers wished they had not purchased or had waited for price drops. there is only so many hours in a day after all. games like scar face look great on my 40 inch lcd playing off a ps2 with hd cable and progressive scan enabled so hd remakes may not be needed over upcale techniques. there were 5 gta games offered on the ps2 and none to date are on psn for play on the ps3 , incredible!!!!

Message 8 of 10 (652 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

Sep 5, 2012

there were 5 gta games offered on the ps2 and none to date are on psn for play on the ps3 , incredible!!!!

ive heard this has more to do with the music liscensing than anything else, it does seem like a know brainer that it would sell...

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 9 of 10 (623 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 7, 2012
I am a bit surprised that Metal of Honor Frontline (HD remake) and Twisted Metal Black has not appeared on the PSN store. Both games were offered as free bonuses when buying the newest PS3 version...
Message 10 of 10 (599 Views)
0 Likes