Highlighted
Apr 24 2010
By: Kinkoman1337 Wastelander 944 posts

Monster Hunter Freedom

13 replies 30 views Edited Apr 24, 2010

I have never played these games, so I was wondering out of all the 3 they have out, what one do you all like most?

Also I was told monter hunter games never have a story, is this true?

Thanks

Photobucket
Message 1 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Re: Monster Hunter Freedom

Apr 24, 2010

I have only played MHFU so I can't comment on which game is best, but regarding story:  there is only a thin veneer of a story.  If you like farming for materials, crafting items and boss fights... you will like MH games.  The camera and contol scheme can put off some players.  The missions range in time commitment from 20 min to 50 min.  Combat takes timing as button mashing does not  work - the next comand will not regester until the previous animiation sequence has completed.  There are 11 weapon types (in MHFU) each of which has a unique play style.  Learing which zones the boss creatures roam, where they go when injured, and which parts of their bodies are weak vs cetain damage and element types is a selling point to many avid players.  Capcom releases new DLC (hunting quests) every Friday.  If you have several friends to play with or if you use AdHoc Party through PS3 the game excells as a social platform.

Message 2 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Apr 24, 2010

There is a demo on psn, try it. I personally didn't like it

Message 3 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Apr 24, 2010

I didn't like the demo either.  One of my friends badgered me into purchasing the full game and it really grew on me.  It has a STEEP learning curve and there are major spikes in difficulty through out the game but its challenging nature I found to be more of a positive than a negative for my play tastes.

Message 4 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Apr 24, 2010
I went to my local EB Games to buy this yesterday for $5. They messed up and gave me Freedom Unite! I would highly recommend it if you're into RPGs where character improvement is important, there is no experience but you're always upgrading or buying new equipment. So far it seems like a game I could easily put hundreds of hours into. There is a demo on the PSN if you want to try it before you buy it. Also youtube videos are a good source for gameplay videos. For the story question Unite seems to have a very thin story. It feels like it has some back story but won't develop on it very much. Seems to be a game focused all around character development.
Message 5 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Apr 25, 2010

PBrudz wrote:

I didn't like the demo either.  One of my friends badgered me into purchasing the full game and it really grew on me.  It has a STEEP learning curve and there are major spikes in difficulty through out the game but its challenging nature I found to be more of a positive than a negative for my play tastes.

I jus didn't like having only 2 attacks too rpg ish for me
Message 6 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Apr 25, 2010

Actually most weapons have three basic attacks, each with different ways to chain attacks togeather.  Some weapons even have special abilities/attacks Horns can buff, Bows can charge their attack, dual blades can burn endurance to power up their attacks, etc.  The demo does a horrible job of explaining anything about how to play the game.  In the end MH games are ARPGs (action role playing games) whith item based advancement, and VERY little role playing.  If you don't like the feelings of RPGs in general then your dislike of MH is completly understandable. 

Message 7 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2243 posts

Apr 26, 2010

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (the latest and arguably the best) is a great game for those that are dedicated enough or have friends they can play with using ad-hoc or ad-hoc party on the PS3. Soloing the game can be extremely difficult, as many of the higher-ranked quests are designed with multiple hunters in mind, forcing otherwise capable players who can only play by themselves to a great deal of frustration. 

There are a variety of weapons and armors for you to collect, though be warned that full armor sets can take quite a while (dozens of hours) to farm. Speaking on the subject of farming, Monster Hunter is notorious for being repetitive. Take it from a HR5 player in MHF2 who has put over 200 hours into the game, the game is to a large extent bloated. Instead of creating unique monsters that are unlocked as you progress in rank, by the time you get to HR4 (the highest rank is HR9), most monsters will have already been unlocked, with the exception of Uber-tough bosses. From that point on, you unlock high-ranking quests, clones of the low-ranking ones except that they recycle the same monsters over and over again, only with increased HP/Damage and better loot for you to receive. 

Now, that's not a huge drawback seeing the game can eat up hundreds of hours by the time you get to the mid-way point in rank, but the repetition is far more common than you think. Maps, which are large outdoor areas that you hunt in, also reach a point where they get recycled over and over again alongside various monsters. Combat, the big thing in monster hunter, consist of tracking and then attacking your prey with usually 2 or 3 combos in alternating fashion, with the odd interruptions arising when you are injured or consuming potions. That's perhaps the most fun aspect as it takes a great amount of skill to hunt monsters without being consistently mauled, but you should at least know that it's time consuming and not something that can be taken for a quick spin while you sit through a 10-minute bus ride. 

Enough with the bashing, I should also point out the pros of Monster hunter in order to present a view that as balanced as possible. When not doing a quest, you have a farm open to you in case you feel the need to do more "farming" than usual. Seeds planted will grow into plants that can be harvested the next time you finish a quest, fish can be caught by the docks and ores to be mined alongside cave walls. You also have cats who will follow you around on quests, providing fire support with barrel bombs or miniature weapons, something that's great to have when there's no one else to play with. Certain quests involving sieged keeps, can present a great deal of fun, much more than the usual as you'll be fighting gigantic monsters and utilizing cannons/ballistas. Last but not least, perhaps the most rewarding part of the game is the sense of accomplishment that you derive from defeating monsters. The harder they get, the more proud you will be of yourself for putting in the hard effort into slaying them. This is no doubt one of the most, if not the most gratifying aspect of monster hunter, and one that compels me to occasionally play the game despite its flaws.

Message 8 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Apr 26, 2010

p4s2p0 wrote:

PBrudz wrote:

Another person who made a snap decision without finding out more.

It seems most people's problems with Monster Hunter come from a lack of understanding and they can't be bothered to find out more.  The game simply doesn't hand everything to you on a plate every time you whine about it.  It's old skool, and some of us like games like that.

You need to go and look things up online.  You need to talk to other players and find out strategies to kill monsters and how weapons and armor work.  It's a huge game and requires an investment of both time AND skill.  It's also social, in that you fully enjoy it, you need friends to play with and you ALSO need to socialize with people online.  Join forums and ask questions about the game.

I love the fact that the combat is skill based.  You need to practice, but it makes it all the more satisfying when you get it right and your combos flow.  It really feels like YOU'RE doing it and not just mashing buttons as the game interprets your spastic flailing into fluid combat moves.

In short, if you like games that give you points just for turning up and crying, you'll hate Monster Hunter.  This isn't World of Warcraft.  

If you like games that take time and reward you for learning and using your head, you'll enjoy it.

Message 9 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
944 posts

Apr 27, 2010

Tarislar wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

PBrudz wrote:

Another person who made a snap decision without finding out more.

It seems most people's problems with Monster Hunter come from a lack of understanding and they can't be bothered to find out more.  The game simply doesn't hand everything to you on a plate every time you whine about it.  It's old skool, and some of us like games like that.

You need to go and look things up online.  You need to talk to other players and find out strategies to kill monsters and how weapons and armor work.  It's a huge game and requires an investment of both time AND skill.  It's also social, in that you fully enjoy it, you need friends to play with and you ALSO need to socialize with people online.  Join forums and ask questions about the game.

I love the fact that the combat is skill based.  You need to practice, but it makes it all the more satisfying when you get it right and your combos flow.  It really feels like YOU'RE doing it and not just mashing buttons as the game interprets your spastic flailing into fluid combat moves.

In short, if you like games that give you points just for turning up and crying, you'll hate Monster Hunter.  This isn't World of Warcraft.  

If you like games that take time and reward you for learning and using your head, you'll enjoy it.

wow, it seems like I opened an old scar, lol well sounds like a good game, I'm gonna play the demo, watch a few videos, but it sounds like everyone says unite it the best so thanks but this "In short, if you like games that give you points just for turning up and crying, you'll hate Monster Hunter.  This isn't World of Warcraft." pushed me over the top lol love that comment.

Thanks

Photobucket
Message 10 of 14 (30 Views)
0 Likes