Mar 11 2014
By: CaptainAlbator VP of Gaming 28529 posts

Modder creates single handed controller for disabled players.

[ Edited ]
6 replies 400 views Edited Mar 11, 2014

They say necessity is the mother of invention. Well a man by the name of Ben Heck (is that his real name, who knows?) has modified the PS4's Dualshock controller to give access to disabled players.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/modder-creates-single-handed-ps4-controller-for-disabled-gamers/110...

The big reveal is this Friday.

Edit: Removed Games & Platforms label/added News & Announcements

Message 1 of 7 (400 Views)
MVP Support
8846 posts

Re: Modder creates single handed controller for disabled players.

Mar 11, 2014

Wow that good news for the people who want to enjoy playing the PS4 but cannot because of some disabilities.

Message 2 of 7 (394 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13508 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Master Chan Approves

This is something that is very necessary. Many people can't play many games due to disabilities.

Message 3 of 7 (383 Views)
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Smiley Very HappyOne handed gaming has been going on for years, you don't have to be "disabled" to like this idea,lol

(someone had to say it).

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 4 of 7 (380 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

Mar 11, 2014
That's cool. Hope the price of the disabled controllers drop. They are insane amount.
I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 5 of 7 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
254 posts

Mar 11, 2014
They won't drop in price much. There's not enough demand for them. I'm disabled and also used to write for a gaming site trying encourage more accessibility in gaming. After talking to many developers it's pretty clear they aren't thinking about the disabled demographic either because they aren't aware it exists or that it isn't large enough to put worth the effort.
Message 6 of 7 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Mar 12, 2014

I did a research paper on the game industry and making game accessible last semester for a class for college(media arts and game development major). I also am disabled and can only use one hand, but I do fine with the regular Dualshock 4. So I asked some game developers for feedback on what they do for accessibility in their game via Twitter. I got one notiable developer to respond. It was former Irrational Games boss, Ken Levine, but I ran out of time for him to respond and so had another lead programmer(30+ years of experience). He said that they do take in account accessibility, but it's not the money that's the issue, it is the time. I also contacted the IDGA and they said, it comes down to the how-to and the expense, but articles like Abledgamers' Includification and others help developers create more accessible games for everybody! If you want to know more about it, message me  or add me on PSN: brolol07! 

Message 7 of 7 (317 Views)