Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: Missing data after restoring backup to new memory card

Mar 4, 2012

Firepowerr wrote:

It is dumb but your PS Vita is linked to that memory card right now.

You don't HAVE to format the card, what you can do is restore the Vita to factory settings. That is currently the only way to swap memory cards, its quite terrible.

Isn't that way of doing it only for 2 PSN accounts?

The OPs problem could be because he has the same content on both cards and the PSVita will not allow it. He may need to reforamt the 4GB card and store different games on it (currently he has for example 2 UMvC). The DLC license is probably tied to the PSN account and the card ID and that is why it had to be reinstalled to update the new license.

But from what I understand the icons will have to be reordered each time he swaps cards.

Message 11 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 4, 2012

So I did an experiment and formatted the 4GB card.  The system seemed to have locked to the 4GB card and would no longer work with the 32GB card without reformatting it.  After formatting the 32GB card, the 4GB stopped working again. 

This is definitely something which needs to be addressed.  This means you can't have more than 32GB of data for your Vita.  That's just silly.  Why can't I have games on one card and videos on another?

Message 12 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Mar 4, 2012

I'm sure I've heard it working for others. Not sure what they may be doing differently though. I would try it but my free 8GB card is still unopened at the moment as I've already got a 32GB card.

Message 13 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Mar 4, 2012

GoldenEgg wrote:

So I did an experiment and formatted the 4GB card.  The system seemed to have locked to the 4GB card and would no longer work with the 32GB card without reformatting it.  After formatting the 32GB card, the 4GB stopped working again. 

This is definitely something which needs to be addressed.  This means you can't have more than 32GB of data for your Vita.  That's just silly.  Why can't I have games on one card and videos on another?

You are the only person I have heard who is having this problem, I will admit not many people are posting about switching cards but those that have are not having this problem. Maybe we are overlooking something simple?

Message 14 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I can't imagine what I'm possibly missing.

II'm currently travelling for work, through the end of this week.  Once I get back home, I plan to call Sony support to discuss this issue and see what they suggest.

Message 15 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2504 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Think of it like the PS3 HDD. Sony is only allowing you to have one memory card to store your information to prevent multiple copies. It is kind of a pain if you have more than 32GB of games, but that's why we keep our extra content stored on our computers, PS3s and PlayStation Store download list.

U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 16 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I just migrated my account to a new 16 GB card and had partially the same problems:

- Getting "playing for the first time" notifications again

- Trophy info appeared only after using the apps again

- Had to rearrange the app icons

Here's what I did:

1. Backup using my PC

2. Turn off Vita and swap the cards

3. Restore from backup

Message 17 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 5, 2012

It's not a fair comparison.  The PS3's HDD is not something you'd even want to swap on a regular basis.  There are many reasons you might want to have multiple memory cards.  As I previously mentioned, Sony even gives you the ability to carry around multiple flash cards in their official game case.

Message 18 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Mar 5, 2012

LeggeUSA wrote:

I just migrated my account to a new 16 GB card and had partially the same problems:

- Getting "playing for the first time" notifications again

- Trophy info appeared only after using the apps again

- Had to rearrange the app icons

Here's what I did:

1. Backup using my PC

2. Turn off Vita and swap the cards

3. Restore from backup

That is standard at the moment from what I read. The problem the OP has is swiching between 2 cards and having to format each time.

Message 19 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 6, 2012

That may be the case, but what the person who switched to a 16 gig card hasn't told us whether he did or not was try to put his previous card back in.. If it asks him to reformat it, then he's getting the same issue the previous poster is mentioning.. I understand them trying to keep piracy down, but don't do it at the expense of causing your customers more problems.. The cards are supposed to be tied to the PSN account and/or the vita itself, so why would you need to reformat when switching cards out. Unless you were using more then one PSN account or trying to insert the card in a different PS Vita, you shouldn't have to go through the hassle of reformatting your cards everytime you switch and losing everything on them.

Message 20 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes