Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 04 2012
By: GoldenEgg Lombax Warrior 108 posts

Missing data after restoring backup to new memory card

21 replies 219 views Edited Mar 4, 2012

I purchased the First Edition bundle and just picked up a new 32GB card today.  I did a backup through the Content Manager Assisstant, then restored to the new card.  After restore, I noticed I no longer had an icon for UMvC3.  It also kept saying that I was playing games for the first time when going to their live page.  Save game information appears to be intact though.

Did I miss a step somewhere?  Why does there seem to be some discrepancy in the data which was restored?

EDIT:

Looks like I can't use the old 4GB card anymore, as it wants to format it everytime I insert it.

EDIT 2:

Got everything set up again, but there was a lot of manual work involved:

- Had to re-order icons, as they were all out of order after the restore

- Had to 're-install' UMvC3

- Had to re-download DLC for UMvC3 and SSD

- Had to start every game individually in order to have their trophy information displayed in the Trophies app

But now I wonder how I can use the 4GB card again in the future, if I ever want to swap between cards.  When I put in the 4GB card, it says it can't be used with the system and must be formatted.   That is the same message I got when inserting the 32GB card for the first time. I'm scared that if I chose to format the 4GB card, the 32GB card will no longer work.  Ugh .... it shouldn't be this difficult!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
345 posts

Re: Missing data after restoring backup to new memory card

Mar 4, 2012

It isn't just you. I restored my memory card multiple times and each time all cartridges stay installed. For example Uncharted or Little Deviants. But, UMvC3 never shows up, I always have to re-enter the cartridge and install.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 4, 2012

What about DLC?  Did you have to re-download?

Also, how can I also use my 4GB card without having the system blcok the 32GB card?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
345 posts

Mar 4, 2012

I don't own any DLC sorry but I assume it is the same problem.

About the memory card, if it is linked to another PSN account, and you didn't deactivate it, you must format to use it with your current PSN.

I am a bit confused about your memory card issue, I don't fully understand.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 4, 2012

I didn't change my PSN account.  Here's what I did ...

- Backed up my original card

- Installed the 32GB card

- Formatted the 32GB card

- Restored backup to 32GB card

If I put the 4GB card back in to the system, it says that the card can't be used with the system until re-formatted.  I don't understand why I should need to reformat the card, since my PSN account hasn't changed.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
345 posts

Mar 4, 2012

It is dumb but your PS Vita is linked to that memory card right now.

You don't HAVE to format the card, what you can do is restore the Vita to factory settings. That is currently the only way to swap memory cards, its quite terrible.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 4, 2012

Really? So it's not possible to easily switch between memory cards?  That doesn't make any sense.  Doesn't the officia;l Sony game case have two memory card slots?  Why would they do that if you can't swap cards?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
345 posts

Mar 4, 2012

It doesn't make any sense. Trust me, you have to restore the system every time and also de-activate it. If you forget to deactivate it you only have 1 every 6 months on the website.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 4, 2012

I didn't lose anything when I switched out my FEB 4gb mc with a 32gb mc. I hooked my Vita upto my PS3, used the content manager and sent all my game files over to the PS3, switched my memory cards, I think the vita powered off and back on, I transfered the files I sent to the PS3 back to the Vita using the content manager. Nothing on my Vita changed at all. I never restored the Vita at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
345 posts

Mar 4, 2012

That is because you restored OVER the content on the other memory card. This is another method of doing it without restoring.

You can back up your information, then switch the card, then restore the info to the card but I don't want to wait through that, restoring the Vita is alot faster.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes