Jul 13 2013
By: PotatoJim First Son 2 posts

Missing PSN Classics

8 replies 175 views Edited Jul 13, 2013

I want to buy Star Ocean: The Second Story and Mega Man Legends.  I check the Playstation Store weekly.  I don't know what the criteria are for a game to be deemed worthy of becoming a downloadable classic, but I want these games.  I own the original CD versions of both, but have played them to the point that they no longer work.  If Um Jammer Lammy is good enough to be a classic then my 2 games should have already been available.  Speaking of Um Jammer, where is Parappa the Rapper, that game was awesome.  Please let me rebuy these games as downloads. 

Message 1 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Re: Missing PSN Classics

Jul 13, 2013

FF12 unless they're saving it for a HD remake.

Message 2 of 9 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Jul 15, 2013

Kenobith wrote:

FF12 unless they're saving it for a HD remake.

You can bet they're saving it for HD.

Message 3 of 9 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jul 15, 2013
Alot of these cannot be added due to many various reasons:

1. Developer closed
or
2. A voice actor refuses to allow there work to be reused
or
3. Royalties to other things

This is a reason why capcom has not added "Resident Evil Survivor", because the voice actor of Ark Thompson was not able to be contacted.
Message 4 of 9 (136 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6024 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

ccrogers15 wrote:

1. Developer closed
or
or

This is a reason why capcom has not added "Resident Evil Survivor", because the voice actor of Ark Thompson was not able to be contacted.

It's usually a licensing issue Why certain games don't hit the store. For instance, the Crash and Spyro series have a signed agreement with the PS3 and PSP consoles only for a small fee. Vita is not under the agreement so a new contract must be signed but skylanders became so popular, I'm sure the fee is extremely outrageous now. No one knows why Sony Europe was granted a license, so don't ask.

With that said, to the OP I know exactly why Mega Man Legends is not available digitally. Mega Man may be owned by Capcom but if you knew the inside story, the Legends series is owned by Inafune. He's no longer employed at Capcom. The conclusion to the series was being made on the 3ds but was dropped due to his departure, the series is now disowned by Capcom. So you'll never see Mega Man Legends 1 & 2 or The Misadventures of Tryon Bonne (aka the series Canon) on Vita or PS3 ever.

If you have Vita or PSP, you can buy Parrappa the Rapper of the store.

Message 5 of 9 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
852 posts

Jul 15, 2013

I don't think they would do PaRappa the Rapper seeing as how there's already a PSP version of it.

Message 6 of 9 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jul 15, 2013

SO2 and Parappa most likely haven't been released as PS Classics due to having been re-released as PSP titles.

Yes, I am a Homestuck. DEAL WITH IT.
Message 7 of 9 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
569 posts

Jul 15, 2013

ccrogers15 wrote:

1. Developer closed
or
or

Argh. That's ridiculous. Voice acting is overrated in games, especially dubs. Hardly ever enhances a game for me, usually detracts from it.

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 8 of 9 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
70 posts

Jul 15, 2013

ccrogers15 wrote:
*snip*
Capcom hasn't added "Resident Evil Survivor" because the voice actor of Ark Thompson was not able to be contacted.

It's a similar situation in the case of Rival Schools; (iirc) Capcom lost the rights to the in-game music, and chose not to renew.

Sega faced the same problem with Crazy Taxi HD, but opted to create a new soundtrack, instead.

Yes, I am a Homestuck. DEAL WITH IT.
Message 9 of 9 (68 Views)
0 Likes