Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 18 2012
By: arararazizi First Son 25 posts
Accepted Solution

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection vs. The Sly Collection and Shadow of the Colossus Collection?

11 replies 345 views Edited Sep 18, 2012

Sorry for the long title.

I was wondering whether I should get the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for my PS3 for $40, or get the Sly Collection for $20, in which case I can use the other $20 for the Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection.

I'm trying to get into PS2 games I've never really played. Would it help if I say I like games like God of War, inFamous, and Assassin's Creed?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (345 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24691 posts

Re: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection vs. The Sly Collection and Shadow of the Colossus Collection?

Sep 18, 2012

arararazizi wrote:

Sorry for the long title.

I was wondering whether I should get the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for my PS3 for $40, or get the Sly Collection for $20, in which case I can use the other $20 for the Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection.

I'm trying to get into PS2 games I've never really played. Would it help if I say I like games like God of War, inFamous, and Assassin's Creed?

Not really, those are really three different types of games. 

If you can, get all three. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (341 Views)
MVP Support
11415 posts

Re: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection vs. The Sly Collection and Shadow of the Colossus Collection?

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2012

I would purchase the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection over the other collections if I were you but I’m not you (you should purchase video games that interest you). The Metal Gear Solid video games have very little in common with most of the other video games in your original post.   

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (330 Views)
First Son
25 posts

Sep 19, 2012

I've been interested in Metal Gear Solid mostly, but I'm wondering if the story is a little too daunting to understand at first. Meanwhile, the other collections don't really have anything that come before them, so I can get right in and not feel lost at all. I really like stealth and action games though, but that pertains to all three of them.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (318 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24691 posts

Sep 19, 2012

arararazizi wrote:

I've been interested in Metal Gear Solid mostly, but I'm wondering if the story is a little too daunting to understand at first. Meanwhile, the other collections don't really have anything that come before them, so I can get right in and not feel lost at all. I really like stealth and action games though, but that pertains to all three of them.

Metal Gear Solid you have to look at as an entire body of work, much like Lord Of The Rings. A lot of people bought Metal Gear Solid 4 thinking it was just going to be a "big game", and they didn't realize they had walked into the final act of the story. If you can, download Metal Gear Solid from the PSN Store to get an introduction to the story, to familiarize yourself with the characters, and the presentation. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (311 Views)
First Son
25 posts

Sep 19, 2012

Ok, thanks, I was looking to get Metal Gear Solid 4 at some point in the future as well because it looks incredible. I think you guys made my decision for me regarding these collections.

One last question however: Should I get the Metal Gear Solid Collection for my PS3 or the PS Vita, as I'm sorely lacking games for the Vita right now.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (309 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 20, 2012
I suggest getting the collection for the PS3 first, mainly because you get Peace Walker with the PS3 version. The Vita version only have MGS 2 &3. You can always get the Vita version later, probably at a discounted price down the road, and when you do you can play a game on the PS3 and continue it on the Vita, and the other way around...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (300 Views)
First Son
25 posts

Sep 20, 2012

Thanks, I'll get the Metal Gear HD Collection for my PS3, and am going to get Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time when it comes out instead of the Sly Collection. I'll get Shadow of the Colossus HD another time.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (290 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 20, 2012
Keep in mind that Sly Cooper game qualifies for Cross Buy, where if you buy the PS3 version, you get the Vita version as a free download!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (288 Views)
First Son
25 posts

Sep 20, 2012

Yay! You sir are truly helpful. Thanks for the info.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (280 Views)
0 Likes