Reply
Highlighted
Jun 07 2011
By: Joshua7creation First Son 1 posts
Offline

MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

12 replies 59 views Edited Jun 7, 2011

The new PSVita is really sweet altogether, but I have Umd games that I play and love and I would rather have just one system to play the games on rather than multiple of basically the same thing, just ones better than the other. I was wondering if anyone thinks they should make it to were you can somehow put umd disc games that you already have onto the new portable version because I dont really want to waste the money I spent on getting the games I already have.

Message 1 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 05/17/2011
Offline
62 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 7, 2011

I always hated the umds. I had a psp 1000 when it first came out and I ended up selling it... Mostly because lack of games. I bought a psp go and I haven't missed the umds once. Now if my psp downloads don't transfer to la vita... God help you, Sony.

Message 2 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/21/2005
Offline
1243 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 7, 2011

Just dont get rid of your PSP.



Message 3 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/27/2008
Offline
5189 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 7, 2011

Joshua7creation wrote:

The new PSVita is really sweet altogether, but I have Umd games that I play and love and I would rather have just one system to play the games on rather than multiple of basically the same thing, just ones better than the other. I was wondering if anyone thinks they should make it to were you can somehow put umd disc games that you already have onto the new portable version because I dont really want to waste the money I spent on getting the games I already have.


No this will not happen, Sony couldn't do it for the PSPgo so they will not be abe to do it for the PSV. Too many legal issues involved.

Message 4 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 7, 2011

I beleve one major reason Sony opted not to call this product the PSP2 was so people wouldn't naturally assume it can play UMD discs. I have witness several people trading in a PSPgo at GameStop becasue the assumed it ran UMDs...

Message 5 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 06/07/2011
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 7, 2011

It's not legal issues but money. It would just cost too much to make all UMD games digital. I can only hope one day Sony has a cloud service like Apple is about to launch. One ID and you can download all of your content on all of your apple devices.

Message 6 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/27/2008
Offline
5189 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 7, 2011

Hibid wrote:

It's not legal issues but money. It would just cost too much to make all UMD games digital. I can only hope one day Sony has a cloud service like Apple is about to launch. One ID and you can download all of your content on all of your apple devices.


No it is legal, we went over this with the PSPgo. There are no individual serial codes on UMDs so if Sony allowed you to just put in a UMD somewhere and get a free download what is to stop you from then giving that UMD to a friend who has not paid for it and doing the same thing? That is just stealing fro Sony, you could also get a used game from a store and do the same thing and then sell it back again.

Sony already has a cloud service called the PSN, on it there is a store that holds records of all my PSN Store purchases that will allow me to download all my PSP games onto my PSV when I type in the username and password that I used to buy them, I can downlaod all comaptible content on all my PS devices. Apple just did not start with physical media.

Message 7 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/07/2011
Offline
989 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 7, 2011

They SHOULD make it so the PSV plays UMD titles!! Why else would I play $300 for a new gaming system!? Obviouslly all I want is to play old games! who cares about new stuff!?  

   *Uber sarcasm*


I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Message 8 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 08/24/2005
Offline
48 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 8, 2011

Democrac-y:

Wanting the PSV to be backwards compatible is not necessarily a stupid point - smart companies reward their paying customers by not pissing them off. That's how smart companies make money. Dumb companies anger their paying customers by doing things like, oh say, taking advantage of them, losing their personal data, making thempay twice for the same thing, etc. etc.

I'm no troll, I just don't like you :-)

Message 9 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/27/2008
Offline
5189 posts
 

Re: MemorySticks for gaming? What about my Umd discs?

Jun 8, 2011

hatenchaos wrote:

Democrac-y:

Wanting the PSV to be backwards compatible is not necessarily a stupid point - smart companies reward their paying customers by not pissing them off. That's how smart companies make money. Dumb companies anger their paying customers by doing things like, oh say, taking advantage of them, losing their personal data, making thempay twice for the same thing, etc. etc.



But it is backwards compatible with PSOne and PSP games from the PSN store, as I said before we went over all this with the release of the PSPgo and that was the basically the same device internally, this is completely new.

When music cassettes were replaced with CDs people did not complain and demand that all of their previous purchases be given to them on CD just because the format had changed, no they just kept their casstte players and upgraded when they could, the same with VHS and DVD.

Message 10 of 13 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes