Jan 20 2014
By: Joe50Industries First Son 5 posts
Accepted Solution

Melons in PS3 Minecraft Questions

[ Edited ]
7 replies 7414 views Edited Mar 31, 2014

All the info I can find claims that there are melons in PS3 Minecraft and they are in the crafting menu, but I've searched and searched and I can't seem to find any melon seeds.  What I've read is that for PS3 they can be found in chests in abandoned mines and nowhere else (for now).  I keep hunting out these mines and never get any melon seeds, just pumpkin seeds.  Has anyone actually found any?  Is it just the random world seeds that I've used that don't have any? The wiki says 13% chance they'll be in chests, so I'd like to know if anyone has actually found any or if they are wishful thinking coming in a future update?

Mod Edit: Added label & updated subject title. Want to learn more about labels? Please click here. How about Forum Rules of Conduct? Read all about it here. -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 8 (7,414 Views)
Survivor
2567 posts

Re: Melons in PS3 Minecraft

Jan 20, 2014
Watermelon chests.

*Cough*
Message 2 of 8 (7,413 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jan 20, 2014

Now that is funny! Sorry I can't help you until the PS4 version is released. Try searching for a walk-through.

Message 3 of 8 (7,396 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 20, 2014

I just wasn't convinced they were actually in the game yet.  All I'd seen online were videos of the Xbox version that did have them. Multiple posts on various sites said they were in the PS3 version, but I'd searched for so long that I just wasn't going to take the Internet's word for it.  I have, however, answered my own question.  They are in fact in the game.  They are very rare and hard to find.  I found 5 in a chest in an abandoned mine.  It took a long long time, but they were the last thing in the game I hadn't crafted with yet and I wanted to try them out.  If anyone finds this post while searching for how to find melons my advice is to methodically search every inch of abandoned mine you can find, leaving markers so you know where you've already checked, and listen for the "ambient" sounds because the mines can be broken up by other terrain features and are not necessarily continuous.  I am watching my precious seeds sprout now.

Message 4 of 8 (7,391 Views)
Wastelander
605 posts

Jan 20, 2014
Just a quick question.
Did you by any chance find the seeds near a monster spawner?
Message 5 of 8 (7,381 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 20, 2014

No. There was only one cave spider spawner and one zombie spawner in the mineshaft and they were nowhere near it.  The abandoned mineshaft chests (according to the wiki) have a 13% chance of an item stack being melon seeds.  I've found about three chests per mineshaft.  A different world of mine did have a chest almost next to the cave spider spawner, but no seeds.  I think the placement is totally random.  I suspect that on the PS3 worlds can be generated with none due to this probability.  The PC version goes on almost infinitely, so they're almost guaranteed to be somewhere even if it's far away.  Us poor console players sort of get the fuzzy end of the lollipop with our relatively tiny limited worlds (13% x infinity=definitely; 13% x 10 or 20 = hopefully).  Nothing I've read makes me think think that they must be present at all, maybe Mojang or 4J could say otherwise.

Message 6 of 8 (7,375 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Melons in PS3 Minecraft Questions

Feb 20, 2015

Check the villages to check to see if the people have any for trading.

Message 7 of 8 (2,072 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Melons in PS3 Minecraft Questions

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2016

In new update 1.22, I did find melons near jungle. They grow wild and you can plant them back if you want to, by using hoe ofcourse. Or just start your own farm where ever you want.

Message 8 of 8 (587 Views)
0 Likes