Feb 20 2012
By: SnWnMe Hekseville Citizen 368 posts

Media Connect. So laughably bad.

34 replies 20 views Edited Feb 20, 2012

Media Connect is a joke.

Forcing the user to browse his photos through the Vita with a rudimentary "by month" folder system and no file names is a joke. It will work if you have a few dozen pieces of media in your PC. If you have hundreds well then forget about it. If you're the kind of person who has files all over his PC then you're SOL too because then you have to shutdown the app, open it and then point the Vita to the target folder every time. How hard was it to have an Explorer style interface?

If I compare this junk to Media Go with regards to interface it's like comparing DOS to Windows 7. Yes, you will actually find that it is EASIER to put files in your 6 year old PSP than your brand new Vita. Congratulations Sony, you just presented another potential opprtunity for Homebrew because your interface is garbage. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.

They should've just improved Media Go. Sony just doesn't know how to build on their products be it media format or apps. Instead of adding capability or tweaking the GUI until they get it right like Apple does with itunes they simply abandon their own proprietary rubbish for a completely different but just as execrable new app. There is no rhyme or reason for this.

A classic, simple interface that doesn't require much tech know how results in widespread adoption of your system. Anyone can use iTunes and Windows, that's why more people use them. Pretty simple logic really. If you make the device accessible to all then you increase the chance of the device to be incorporated into people's lifestyles. If the Vita is tweaked to the point of being an extension of a person's media folders in their home PC then it will stand a better chance in the market as another must have gadget.

Homebrew fans, the Vita is ripe for improvements.

Message 1 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

Re: Media Connect. So laughably bad.

Feb 20, 2012

Boy am I glad the official release isn't out or I'd care.

You had a HARDWARE early access for FEB. not software...

Message 2 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Feb 20, 2012

You cared enough to post. LOL.

We'll see what "enhancements" the Vita will get in a couple of days.

Message 3 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Feb 20, 2012

do you mean content manager? well sony did that because of the hacking and such. media go was a part of this problem.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 4 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Feb 20, 2012

IMO iTunes isn't that great either. It's the most popular because of all of the iDevices. I like the old way when you plug your psp in the computer and open the folders up and manage you're content that way.

Message 5 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Incag, there will always be hacking. It's something everyone must accept. Sony cannot justify their awkward design decisions (Media Connect feels more like cutting corners IMO) in the name of security and anti piracy measures. The DSi takes R4 cards that allow it to do many things that many people will not approve of. Did it stop that system from succeeding? Give the Vita good, must have games, well thought out apps and a stable OS and it too can succeed without waiting for a gradual build up in sales ala PSP.

Message 6 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Weinersnitzelz wrote:

IMO iTunes isn't that great either. It's the most popular because of all of the iDevices. I like the old way when you plug your psp in the computer and open the folders up and manage you're content that way.

So how did the iDevices get popular?

Ease of use.

Message 7 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Feb 20, 2012

SnWnMe wrote:

Incag, there will always be hacking. It's something everyone must accept. Sony cannot justify their awkward design decisions (Media Connect feels more like cutting corners IMO) in the name of security and anti piracy measures. The DSi takes R4 cards that allow it to do many things that many people will not approve of. Did it stop that system from succeeding? Give the Vita good, must have games, well thought out apps and a stable OS and it too can succeed without waiting for a gradual build up in sales ala PSP.

there will always be stealing there will always be killing there will always be rape there will always be abuse there will always be people doing drugs and many other things. should you just sit back and let it happen easily just because it always does? they are trying to limit the hacking. the psp was hacked out of the wazoo. they just want to limit it or at least have awhile before it is fully hacked.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 8 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Feb 20, 2012

you may as well say we should close all schools there will always be people who do not pass. we should also close all hospitals people still die and get sick. we should also close down all police stations people always do illegal stuff. there will always be people who need rescue and there will always be fires so we should close all fire stations.

there will always be hurricanes and other natural disasters so lets close down all warning system things.

people will aways need food so lets close down all stores and on and on and on.

that whole excuse is just that makes no sense. just because something always happens does not mean you should do nothing about it to try and limit it.

Message 9 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1387 posts

Feb 20, 2012

SnWnMe wrote:

I noticed that the difference between most DSi users a PSP users is that PSP users are alot cheaper than DS users but PSP users are generally more computer savvy. I'm not saying its the cause for sure but I think its about the demographic Sony and Nintendo cater to that also decided how well they did.

In anycase the Manager Sony is offering us for our system is okay at best I won't disagree with you there I've seen better programs from 5 years ago but as a way to manage your content and such for your system it seems like it does its job.

I will probably be using my PS3 to store my games and stuff since its right next to me on my desk and using it as my media manager wouldnt mean any extra software for me to deal with.

Message 10 of 35 (20 Views)
0 Likes