Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 05 2010
By: JohnRKlein Hekseville Citizen 267 posts

Master/SubAccount

16 replies 3789 views Edited Jul 5, 2010

Ok.. So now I do have a complaint about Plus..

One the the reasons I got Plus was for the monthly new avatars for my son. But now as I just noticed, this will be a no go as only the Plus owner can use them.

I was forced by Sony to make my son a sub account because of his age. Sony forced me to put the Plus subscription on my account because it's not available to sub accounts and accounts his age.

I'm getting tired of Sony limiting my sons account just because we were stupid enough to tell the truth. I would have put Plus on his account if it would have been an option.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (3,789 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: Master/SubAccount

Jul 5, 2010

All premium avatars work that way; only the purchasing account can use them because they are not saved on your PS3, they are in your account on the PSN.

Sorry to hear that you just found out about it.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (3,789 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14096 posts

Jul 6, 2010

You have to be 18 or older to subscribe to Playstation Plus, so only master accounts can purchase it. That seems pretty simple. As for age restrictions, Sony imposes those for legitimate reasons that you as a parent should be interested in at least knowing, before deciding to circumvent them.  The content for Plus is not intended to all be suitable for minors.  There is nothing on Plus that Sony intends to be made available to minors, so the restriction on its use by sub-accounts should be no surprise. Giving false information when registering a PSN account is a violation of the terms of service, and is grounds for a permanent ban.  It also prevents you from monitoring and controlling your son's account, or setting any parental controls at all. You are probably better off following the rules, even if your son does miss out on some odds and ends from Plus.  Actually, if that is all that you wanted Plus for; your money would have been better spent on just letting him purchase the avatars of his choice.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (3,789 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Jul 6, 2010

gkpama00 Quote: You have to be 18 or older to subscribe to Playstation Plus, so only master accounts can purchase it. That seems pretty simple.

Simple huh?? My wife is also a sub account.. So now shes and my son is left out of Plus. How was I supposed to know 2+ years ago that this was going to be a problem. Sony has messed this up, "that seems pretty simple"..

gkpama00 Quote: There is nothing on Plus that Sony intends to be made available to minors, so the restriction on its use by sub-accounts should be no surprise.

What? Please point me to something in Plus that is not for a 17 year old.. Did you just make this up?

gkpama00 Quote: You are probably better off following the rules, even if your son does miss out on some odds and ends from Plus.

Hmm.. Let me fix this for you.. "You are probably better off following the rules, even if your son (and wife) does miss out on some odds and ends from Plus." Hmm, good one.

gkpama00 Quote: Actually, if that is all that you wanted Plus for; your money would have been better spent on just letting him purchase the avatars of his choice.

Where in my post did I say I only wanted Plus for avatars?

It's interesting how you leave out very important details to make your argument.. You base everything on Parental Controls and assume all sub accounts are by default minors and will ALWAYS be minors. That is not the case.

If you want to talk Parent Controls, the PS3 use of them are horrible. When I turned them on, it broke all kinds of games for my son. It bascially made my sons account unusable.. Plus, if he wanted to play a M rated game, he can just log in as me and play it when I'm not there. The PS3 does not give me the ability to lock my account.. In fact, the way they implemented Plus and Remote Play, they will never be able to allow us to lock our accounts.. That would break these two features as they require the PS3 to auto log into the account to work.

Lets just admit it.. Sony is making a mess of things.. This sub account crap needs to go.. First it was Home (although they have fix it some), then it was facebook, now it's Plus.. I'm sure I'm leaving other things out..

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (3,789 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1266 posts

Jul 6, 2010

Im on a sub account ( didn't like my master account name and made this one ) and i bought plus no problem and the age is under 18. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (3,789 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14096 posts

Jul 7, 2010

Let's make a distinction between how Sony intended sub-accounts to be used, and how you chose to use them; which appear to be two different things based on your description.  The Playstation Network has not given you a choice of whether to create a master account or a sub-account for at least a couple of years.  The type of account created is now automatic based on the date-of-birth of the person that the account is for. If the date-of-birth makes that person under 18 then only a sub-account can be created.  If the date of birth makes the person 18 or older, then only a master account can be created.  If you answer the questions accurately, then you automatically get the right kind of account.  There is no choice.  I am told (I wasn't on PSN prior to the opening of the Playstation Store for PSP) that in the early versions of PSN you could make a choice of whether to create a master account or a sub-account, and that some people made choices that they later regretted.  That is why you no longer get to make a choice.  I'm not convinced that Sony is at fault for that.  Sony always intended sub-accounts to be for minors, but did not enforce that model until later.  It was pretty obvious from the features and limitations of the sub-account that they weren't intended for adults. Sub-accounts have parental controls.  Adults aren't supposed to have parents controlling them. Sub-accounts have no wallet, and can have their spending limited by the master account.  Adults are supposed to be able to manage their own money. Maybe leaving the choice up to the person creating the account was a mistake, but that mistake was corrected a long time ago. Frankly the only thing that is inexplicable about PSN accounts is the fact that even though Sony knows the data of birth associated with the account, sub-accounts are not promoted to master accounts when the account owner turns 18.  That means that everything that was earned as a minor has to remain in a sub-account even after the member becomes an adult.  That doesn't make much sense, and was probably an oversight.

What I don't get is why your wife has a sub-account.  Was she a minor when you bought your PS3? There isn't a good reason to do that as far as I know, unless your wife has no form of payment and needs to share your wallet.  That wouldn't be a problem that Sony created though.  You could easily have fixed that yourself.  You don't need sub-accounts to share Playstation Store purchases.  Anything installed from the Playstation Store on a PS3 can generally be used by all Users on the PS3, and different PSN accounts can't share content on a PSP even if one account is a sub-account of the other. You said that you basically gave up on the parental controls, because you had problems configuring them; so it isn't clear what you thought that you gained by making your wife's account a sub-account to begin with.

By the way, while the PS3 does not allow you to lock an individual account, it does have a password feature that allows you to set parental controls for content on the console (which is completely separate from parental controls on PSN, which only regulate online content).  Setting PSN parental controls wouldn't be effective for preventing someone from playing an M-rated game anyway, unless the game was online-only.  You need the system parental controls for that, and there is no point in setting those unless you change the default password.  Basically when anyone on the console tries to access media or run a game that exceeds the parental control level for the system, the password needs to be entered. It is pretty much the only way that Sony could do it, without limiting access to content on the PS3 to the account that installed it.  The parental controls aren't as simple as they could be, but they do work if you configure the system properly.

Sony isn't going to get rid of sub-accounts, so you can forget about that.  The Playstation Network isn't just for adults, so account restrictions for minors is absolutely necessary; especially in the United States were there is no apparent limit to the number of excuses parents have for why they can't monitor what their children are doing. I don't know why Playstation Plus is limited to age 18 or older, but concluding that the fact that the very first update didn't include any adult content means that there will never be any in a future update, isn't a valid assumption. 

Given that sub-accounts are legally necessary for Sony, and that they are clearly intended only for minors based on the account creation process that has been in place for years, as well as the account features; and given that none of us can possibly know at this point what content will be in Playstation Plus as it evolves, I don't think that you have stated anything that Sony clearly should have done differently as far as Plus is concerned.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (3,789 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

Jul 10, 2010
I really don't understand whats the problem is. I have plus and I'm the master account holder and all of the sub accounts on my system have all of the benefits from my Plus except for the plus sign next to my PSN avatar. All the games they can also play and auto update (though that runs through last games played on my account) updates. We all play the same games anyway so I don't understand what the issue is, is your son upset because he doesn't get the plus next to his name?
Kid tested, Sony approved
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (3,789 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Jul 10, 2010

ACandJS wrote:
I really don't understand whats the problem is. I have plus and I'm the master account holder and all of the sub accounts on my system have all of the benefits from my Plus except for the plus sign next to my PSN avatar. All the games they can also play and auto update (though that runs through last games played on my account) updates. We all play the same games anyway so I don't understand what the issue is, is your son upset because he doesn't get the plus next to his name?

He's upset because the premium avatars only work on the purchasing account.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (3,789 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Jul 11, 2010

Sure three+ years later you can talk like this is obvious knowledge.. It's easy to point and tell someone they are a moron when you wasn't there (which in this case is when the PS3 first came out).

This is like when people talk crap to those that sold their PS2 thinking PS3s where going to be PS2 compatible. Sony bragged about this over and over. We didn't know Sony was going to change things and it caught a lot of people off guard and still does. This is why I hate how people are treated here when they find out after the fact that PS3s are no longer PS2 compatible.

Anyway, back when the PS3 first came out, there was nothing saying that the subaccount was specifically for a minor. A lot of literature from Sony said that this was in place for "families" which gave benefits of account management. For example. I wasn't sure how purchased content was going to work and wasn't sure if my son/wife would be able to play my content without being a subaccount. I knew my wife woudn't use the PS3 that much and would probably forget her password and this makes it easy for me to reset it for her. Also... Back then, there were "Zero" limitations for being a subaccount. Back then, we weren't told that subaccount could not become master accounts.. Back then, we were not told that purchased contect would be created later that would not work with subaccounts. Back then, we were not told that premium services created later would not work with them. So quit talking like I'm a moron. It's obvious now, but it wasn't BACK THEN.. Get it?

Also, I never said I had trouble configuring anything with Parental controls.. I said that parent controls for the PS3 s.u.k.. One simple example. it made it so many (non-multiplayer rated for everyone) games would not even post his score to the leaderboard. I'm not going to go into all the other things it crippled that made no sense.. Also what I'm saying is that not being able to password protect your PS3 account makes having parental controls worthless! Sony only allows you to password protect your PSN account, not your PS3 account. So I can set it so that he can't play M rated games, can't watch R rated movies, and can't use the web browswer with his PS3 account.. What's the point if all he as to do is wait for me to go work in the yard and log into my PS3 account and do all that anyway? So there is ZERO confusion on my part about subject, the parental system on the PS3 is just crap. Sony only did the minimum to cover their butts and that was the PSN account side of things.

All I was wanting to say we were mislead on the Avatars. Sony responded to someone on the BLOG asking if he (As a subaccount user) would be able to have access to PLUS. He got an answer on the BLOG saying that he could not purchases it but that all content bought by the master account would be accessible to him. So I thought awesome, my son will be able to use the Themes and Avatars as he has asked me about them more then once.. So we were disapointed when the Sony Rep was incorrect in his statements..

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (3,789 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Jul 15, 2010

I, too, am on a sub account. My account was created before the new rules (minors, date of birth). It was actually encouraged when my husband set up my account under his. The prompts to set up the account led him to set it up that way (ease of use with the wallet and whatnot). We did NOT know at the time that this would restrict my use many years down the road. It's unfortunate. I'm a big Home user and whenever i want to purchase something I need to log in under my husband's account to add funds using MY OWN credit card!

We are not yet Playstation Plus users but the inability to get it on my own account directly is a concern. Sony should give Master accounts the options to upgrade a sub account to a master account. I understand that they can't "see the future" but when people are long time users of the service, the service needs to change with the times.

When trophies, DLC, and Home purchases/ exclusives are specific to the profile you've had for YEARS, we should not be expected to make a new account in order to participate in (and purchase) new Sony content. They're missing out on cash here. You'd think that would make them fix this if nothing else! Not to mention disappointing loyal Sony users like myself and the original poster. This IS NOT the first posting I've seen about people unhappy with Sub-accounts.

I agree with protection for minors but there was absolutely no mention of minors when my account was originally set up as a sub account years ago. I'm online all the time and will continue to use PS3/ PSN. I just wish they let long time users make adjustments to their accounts.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (3,789 Views)