Monster Hunter
43 posts

Re: MY PS3 WON'T READ DISCS!?!?!

Mar 5, 2008
Same thing happened to me last Thursday. I got my box to ship it to Sony yesterday and we'll see how long it takes to get it back. Took 3 days to get here which is pretty quick. It says on the paperwork 10-14 business days. I expect it back in about a week though. Sony is awesome with their customer support. I have a 80 GB PS3 got it back in early December.
Message 81 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4115 posts

Mar 5, 2008
Is this the thread that never dies?
RIP PS4: November 18 - November 18
Message 82 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Mar 5, 2008
Happened to me last Thursday too.

Mine is under extended warranty ... box still isn't here ... tomorrow will mark 7 days ...

not too happy ... but not much I can do ...
Free Image Hosting
Message 83 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3421 posts

Mar 5, 2008

there is a known problem with the BD drives on certain units.  Many initial 60g models like mine had the BD drive fail.

Hmm, you're right! My 60GB blu0ray drive failed just 3 months after i got it, but i got a refurb from sony and all is well.
Message 84 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 6, 2008
I ran into the same issue the night before last. PS3 won't read or even see any disc inserted. Called Sony and they're sending me a box but the CSR is telling me I'm in for a 3 week wait on return. Hoping for better but I guess we'll see. I have the 40g model also. Sucks, I've had this thing about 4 months and a couple days. I've probably played a total of 2 outta the 4.
Message 85 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4951 posts

Mar 6, 2008
    Damn yall make me worry about mine now , got my 80 a few weeks ago seems good so far (knocks on wood)
Message 86 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 9, 2008
same thing just happened to me.......ive had mine for 4 months!!!!!!  i thought my machine was freezing up more than normal....... beware..... keep reciepts...... play the hell out of it in the beginning, hopefully it will break soon, if it is going to........... this is very frustrating......
Message 87 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Mar 9, 2008
return it same thing happed to mine
Message 88 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 9, 2008
believe this if you will, but I've gone through 4 60 gb PS3's since I bought it at launch....the latest one stopped reading any type of discs last week. I called sony, and asked them if it was possible to send me a new PS3 for my troubles, and of course they gave me the company line of they dont do that and the best they could do is send a refurbished unit. I got pissed, and finally was able to get a number to SCEA located not that far from me (I live in SF) in Foster City, CA. I called them, spoke to someone higher up in the food chain, and they again rejected my request. I would have even been satistifed with store credit seeing as I bought the system at their Playstation store in San Francisco, but no go. The lady I spoke to was nice enough to send me the bundled Warhawk set and Heavenly Sword for my troubles (they let you choose any SCEA games), but it was an obvious attempt to pacify me. I even went so far as to contact the Consumer Watch help line thru my local CBS affiliate (KPIX) local news program, but I dont have the patience to engage in a prolonged war with SCEA and to be honest, I just want to get online with COD4.
Anyway, I did find out some interesting info that I have yet to read on any message board. Sony has 2 levels of refurbished stock....A & B...the Texas warehouse apparently has a mixture of both, but there is an obvious difference because the rep told me that Sony employees have the chance to buy this stock at 2 different price levels. And for the record, I just sent back my PS3 directly to their offices in Foster CIty. Actually, if you are going thru the exchange process, call this # and ask to speak to a manager about your PS3 problem. Make sure to let them know that you do not want to speak to the general Consumer Services hotline, but to a manager and see what you can milk from them for your ongoing problems
here's the #: 650 655 5682

anyway, I hope 5th time is the charm,,,if not, I will be personally be making a visit to Sony headquarters

Message 89 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Mar 14, 2008
I am having this same issue, but after firmware 2.17, everything worked just perfect before that, I upgraded and now it just doesn't want to read anything!!!! HEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!
Message 90 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes