Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
3 posts

Re: MY PS3 WON'T READ DISCS!?!?!

Feb 11, 2008
Will do. But why does it seem to be happening to so many people only fairly recently?
Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 4, 2008
Here to add my two cents....

I experienced a similar problem last night. I was playing Assassins Creed when the disc seemd to stop reading correctly ( there was a skipping sound comming from the machine, and in game play, all the sound dropped out while visuals remainmed unchanged ) I tried to eject and reinstall the disc to remedy the problem, upon replacing the disc, the console would not recognize it. After shutting down and restarting the PS3, the console would not recognize any Blue Ray Disc or PS3 Game disc.... it would regocnize cd's intermtiantly...  The console seemed to jam up once it was trying to load information from Blue-Ray discs and PS3 Game discs.. at one point the cd drive spun the disc very quickly about 5 times in a row.. as if trying to reset.. the thought we had was that the Blue Ray laser had become dirty or broken...

Nothing seemed to work after mutliple re-boots. I called PS and the notified me that my system memory / hard drive may have been corrupted during gameplay. This would cause the disc drive to not read or load information from discs correctly. They suggested that I back up all my information on a USB jump drive, and fully reformat the hard drive... I tried the quick re-format first, which did not work. I then tried the full reformat which to 2 1/2 hours. Once it was complete, I "started from scratch" and everything seems to be working correctly. The console reads all discs properly, including Blue Ray movies. PS3 game discs, cd, etc.... so .. so far so good!

I'll let y'all know if it reverts to not reading correctly in the future.

UPDATE>>>>>>>

I THOUGHT everything was ok after the full reformat... BUT.. while playing a blue ray movie last night, not even one day after the full reformat, the playback stopped during the movie. I tried to reinsert the disc, restart the PS3, but nothing..... tried other discs, cds games, etc.. but nothing... so I think the console is off to the factory...

oh well..

Message Edited by penser on 03-04-2008 06:28 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Mar 4, 2008

Sorry, I'm not laughing, I'm just glad I'm not the only one with this problem!

I've got a LAUNCH 60GB, and it died on me (with all of the same problems) this past Friday night.

It's under extended warranty, so it will go out to be repaired, not replaced.

I'm really sorry to hear about your issues ... I'm still waiting on my box ...

Please keep updating this thread!!!
Free Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 4, 2008
it's ok to laugh.... shouldn't have been so naive to think that the format would have worked... funny thing.. is that it DID work, for a period of time... then kaputt...

just got off the phone with PS - still under the one year warranty, so they are going to replace the system, which will continue to be coverd under the initial warranty...

the only propblem now is that the total turn around for this process is close to 5 weeks..... fun fun...
Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8694 posts

Mar 4, 2008
Same thing happened to me. I was folding at home and had a ps2 disc in the drive.  I ejected it.  Quit the folding at home application.  Put in call of duty, and it never read the disc.  I took it out and tried dvds, cds, ps2, ps1, and all my ps3 games.  Nothing worked.  Called sony.  Mailed me a box.  I just mailed the box back yesterday 3/3.  Let's see how long this takes....

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
959 posts

Mar 4, 2008
I had a problem over the weekend, where my launch 60gb wouldn't read a brand new cd.  I imported it, and it plays fine.  No problems either w/ any games or movies.  Thoughts?

0 Likes
Fender Bender
3421 posts

Mar 4, 2008
tried a cd lens cleaner? Call sony, problem solved!
Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Mar 5, 2008
    I'M STARTING TO HATE PS3'S... this is my second ps3, the first one suffered power supply death and this one is not reading any bloody format!!! not BD not CD's just nothing... im thinking on buying a 40gb ps3 seriously cause i owned 2 80gb ps3's and both had issues so, i'll play with my other special edition H3 console... so far so good.
Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Mar 5, 2008
there is a known problem with the BD drives on certain units.  Many initial 60g models like mine had the BD drive fail.
Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Mar 5, 2008
I had to send my 80gb out back in november for the same thing.
psn: Holm-Z
Please use plain text.
Message 80 of 132 (69 Views)
0 Likes