First Son
20 posts

Re: MY PS3 WON'T READ DISCS!?!?!

Jan 14, 2008
This is cool...trying it out.

I can't get the hard reset to work though.  I've seen several posts where you wait for 3 beeps, and some where you wait for 10 seconds.  If I wait for 3 beeps, it just turns off.  Two beeps and the system just starts.  I'm going to keep looking.

Holding down eject definately did something...didn't fix the problem though.

Edit:  Okay, I got the hard reset to work...or rather I had it working and wasn't looking hard enough to see that the system name and screen resolution had changed.  I'm now following another procedure that followed that up with a full format.

Message Edited by Donatolla on 01-13-2008 11:57 PM
Message 61 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jan 16, 2008

StB-Dboyz wrote:
Send it in.

That I am.  I should receive the box from Sony tomorrow.  Finally got a hold of Sony...their CSR said that if the firmware upgrade didn't fix the problem, then it is only fixable by Sony.  Since I had the most recent firmware installed within moments is first unboxing the unit, I have no choice.

Message 62 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 20, 2008
Same problem here.
It was working fine. It froze when a game was in, now it won't read any discs. I've tried the hard re-start and it won't even do that. Lost the reciept, but I've only had it for 20 days so I'm going to take it back with the credit card statement it's on - should work that way.
I went with the PS3 because I heard a lot of negative about the 360, but if it doesn't even last a month, then I'm pretty concerned about this system too.
Message 63 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Feb 10, 2008
Remy,

Same exact thing happened to mine.  Got the 40 gig less than a month ago.  Just got internet so I downloaded the newest update (1.93 i think) this morning, and after that the ps3 isnt reading anything.  I reset all settings and I'm formatting now.  I have a box on the way though.  SOny people are saying lens gets scratched if disks arent put in "properly" but won't say how to do it.  Still seems like update is the cause of this, not a scrateched lens.
Message 64 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 11, 2008
Just wanted to add my experience to further show that all of this happening so recently can't be just a coincidence:

Feb. 9th: Playing rock band and it froze up during a song, which had never happened before. Reset, and now the thing won't read any disc of any kind.

Now I have a very expensive black monolith in my living room that does nothing but play Flow and Tekken 5: DR.

Before I make arrangements to be Ps3-less for a month, has anyone heard more about whether or not this is firmware related and possibly fixable via update?

Message Edited by crunkplug on 02-10-2008 05:00 PM
Message 65 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10862 posts

Feb 11, 2008
make sure your discs are clean and no scratches.
if not call sony

Photobucket

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 66 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Feb 11, 2008

crunkplug wrote:
Just wanted to add my experience to further show that all of this happening so recently can't be just a coincidence:

Feb. 9th: Playing rock band and it froze up during a song, which had never happened before. Reset, and now the thing won't read any disc of any kind.

Now I have a very expensive black monolith in my living room that does nothing but play Flow and Tekken 5: DR.

Before I make arrangements to be Ps3-less for a month, has anyone heard more about whether or not this is firmware related and possibly fixable via update?

If you can still play something, then you likely aren't seeing the same problem that others have seen.  It has been very consistent that the PS3 just stops reading any optical discs...no matter the format.

My PS3 went in for repair, Sony replaced the BD drive and shipped it back to me within a week.

Message 67 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
705 posts

Feb 11, 2008

Donatolla wrote:

crunkplug wrote:

If you can still play something, then you likely aren't seeing the same problem that others have seen.  It has been very consistent that the PS3 just stops reading any optical discs...no matter the format.

My PS3 went in for repair, Sony replaced the BD drive and shipped it back to me within a week.

Tekken DR. is not on disk, it's a download. So what he's saying is he can play games installed on the hardrive
Photobucket
Message 68 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 11, 2008
ah but you misunderstand - flow and tekken are download only. My ps3 will not read discs of any kind: DVDs, games, or even audio CDs....
Message 69 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1221 posts

Feb 11, 2008
call sony. Your drive has stopeed working. You need to replace it.
Photobucket
Message 70 of 132 (132 Views)
0 Likes