Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 03 2012
By: prattangry First Son 3 posts

MY JOURNEY

[ Edited ]
0 replies 344 views Edited Nov 4, 2012

These are just some of the cool things that have happened over the life of the PS3 that I look back fondly on. While these may not be everyone’s favorite moments they are still great moments in PS3 history. And if you can think of more great moments then by all means tell them to me and enjoy.

The announcement of the PlayStation 3 was a big deal. Sony was finally unveiling the successor to the most successful console of all-time, the PS2. I was stoked I remember seeing the infamous Killzone 2 trailer for the first time, but the game that captured my imagination was the then unknown MotorStorm.

Getting 3 PlayStation 3 on launch day was cool, a bit excessive I know. It sucked **bleep** though when I found out one of the 3 was dead on arrival. It was cool though cause Sony got me a new one in less than a week which was amazing since the stock was in shortage. Heck, I couldn’t even exchange the PS3 at Gamestop due to the shortage.

Finally managing to save up enough money to purchase one of Sony fancy pants XBR branded television with a 7.1 audio setup. I went with the KDL-52XBR5, this TV was a match made in heaven for PlayStation 3, not only did it aesthetically  match my shiny gloss black piano PS3 with its floating glass design, it supported every visual setting Sony had. It supported Deep color( x.v. color), 24hz Blu-ray playback. RGB full/limited range, Superwhite, and every  HD resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p. Not only did the XBR5 do all that, it had the added benefit of doing this little trick called Motionflow. Motionflow is one of my favorite video settings to have turned on while I play ( mainly for single player) it give games with 30fps framerate an artificial boost in frames that make them look like they’re running at 60 frames or higher on a high end PC. Not only did it improve games but it made blu-rays look like you were right there watching them through the viewfinder. On the audio side I decided to go with a Sony STR-DG820 7.1  A/V receiver. This little monster supported every audio mode the PS3 supported and once it was hooked up to the Sony speaker package I had, which consisted of; six Sony SF5000 floor speakers for the surrounds, a Sony CN1000 for the center speaker, and a Sony WA2500 subwoofer for the bass, things really got to rocking in my apartment. I still remember playing the Killzone 2 demo for the first time, it was truly an aural experience.Seeing Killzone 2 for the first time was amazing! I remember many people in the press thought it wasn’t possible for a game to look that great. Also it was Sony giving all the doubters, about its claims of the PS3 being the more powerful console, the big giant middle finger. This game looked so good even Sony fans were having doubts about its authenticity.

Sony finally adding the long awaited trophy support to games. I remember playing the hell out of the first Uncharted once Naughty Dog patched the game to support trophies. I spent a lot of time with Drake to get my first platinum, but who better to spend time with the the wise cracking, everyman, Nathan Drake.Themes were also big when they were first announced. Nowadays they are underutilized by the PS3 community. I remember switching my themes daily and checking online to see what was new. I’m not even sure if many new PS3 owners know that they can change their theme.

Once the PS3 outgrew my XBR5 with its ability to do stereoscopic 3d games and movies I upgraded to a new HDTV with 3d support, the KDL-46NX720. Needless to say, seeing PS3 in 3d for the first time was like getting a whole new console.  Killzone 3 was breath taking in 3d with lots of pop-out. And the way the cars look in GT5 are mindbogglingly good. While many people detest 3d, I support it wholeheartedly.

While I could go on for days talking about the good times with PS3 I would rather hear some of you guys cool moments. So leave them in the comments below and cheers to the good times.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 1 (344 Views)
0 Likes