Jun 20 2014
By: Mulatdood First Son 3 posts

Lost sales due to small and expensive memory cards

[ Edited ]
23 replies 263 views Edited Jun 20, 2014

I like buying things digitally and cheaply. I buy things digitally all the time. But your memory cards are way to expensive for the space and it's causing me to get less value out of the system and my PlayStation Plus membership.

I have a 4 gb memory card what that seems to mean is that if I want to download a shinny new digital game I have to get rid of everything I ever downloaded to make room for it.

I'll give you a short list of games I remember not buying when they were on sale because of these memory constraints.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker

Chrono Cross

Chrono Trigger

Vagrant Story

Rainbow Moon

Persona 

Riviara the Promised Land

Yggdra Union

Knights in the Nightmare

That's just what I can remember.

And If I chose to download the Sly Cooper game I'll have to delete Soul Sacrifice.  I've already had to delete Zero Escape, Gravity Rush, and Smart As. I think I could go back and download them again but, it really doesn't feel like I have them if I did it might make letting my PS Plus Subscription expire a much more painful prospect. But it's not like I'm using the discounts that much. If you want the Vtia to be a big digital platform I need space to put all my digital stuff.

Anyone else skipping game purchases because they don't have room for them on the memory card? Put them here and maybe Sony with use the power of math to discover that releasing a large memory card at a reasonable price is in their best interests. 

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more info on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 24 (263 Views)
Gaming Beast
1957 posts

Re: Lost sales due to small and expensive memory cards

[ Edited ]
Jun 20, 2014

I skipped the Vita due to the proprietary memory card. Not only do I not want another can't use anywhere else card, I'm not going to pay over the odds for them either. Had it been cheaper than a decent SD card, I may have decided otherwise. I'm not the only one in my circle that games that came to the same conclusion. 

I feel Sony wasted needless money on R&D due to their NIH syndrome. 

The lack of mutliple accounts on the Vita was also disappointing, as was trophies being tied to the game card. These may have been fixed in later FW updates, probably not. 

Message 2 of 24 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4083 posts

Jun 20, 2014

I'm guessing this is where the Nintendo 2DS/3DS excels: Affordable storage solutions. I don't blame you for not wanting a Vita because of those things.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 3 of 24 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Jun 20, 2014

I love my Vita, and it's become one of my go-to gaming devices because of the simple convenience of playing when and where I want.

Sure, I wish there were some more games, and I wish remote play worked with the PS3.  Still, I love the little guy.

But - and I say this because I care - Sony really needs to sack the fellow who came up with this proprietary memory card solution.  Seriously, do you not get that if I have more storage I'll buy more stuff?  How is that difficult?  Why make me think twice about buying something because my card is full?

Ugh.

Please implement Remote Play in PS4 Xenoverse!
Message 4 of 24 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3450 posts

Jun 20, 2014

I have a Vita but I never purchase downloadable games because I'm not about to spend that kind of cash on another memory card.  It's stupid.  If Sony wants to commit to the Vita, they need to drop the price of memory and bring AAA games to the platform.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 5 of 24 (201 Views)
MVP Support
13855 posts

Jun 20, 2014

tollett wrote:

I have a Vita but I never purchase downloadable games because I'm not about to spend that kind of cash on another memory card.  It's stupid.  If Sony wants to commit to the Vita, they need to drop the price of memory and bring AAA games to the platform.

That's kind of how I feel, I get a downloadable game every so often, but not a lot. Also, physical games take up some space on them too. The price truly does need to come down on them, especially on the 16 gb ones and the 32 gb ones.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 6 of 24 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11752 posts

Jun 20, 2014

Purchasing games digitally has never exactly been my forte. I'd much rather purchase games in their physical form than in any other way. However, this hasn't stopped me whatsoever in purchasing at least a decent collection of games digitally for use on the PlayStation Vita.

Of the games I've bought digitally for use on the platform so far, this would include the following:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)

CastleStorm: Definitive Edition

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season

PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD

Limbo

Mainly these purchases were made based on sales through the PlayStation Store. I wouldn't have made those purchases otherwise. I've even been considering getting Sorcery Saga as of late. However, I'm not exactly sure it looks like my kind of RPG. Without a demo, it's impossible to tell whether the game could turn out to be disappointing.

Having the space for all these items was not based on a 4 GB memory card alone, however. During the Holidays I managed to snag a 16 GB card for $20 from GameStop. My aim was initially to grab the 32 GB card, which the sale for that one was about double the price. I wouldn't have minded paying as much as $40 or $50 for the card, but naturally other customers took advantage of the sale before I could.

If you're quick enough you might be able to find a deal on the memory cards around the Holidays. Though, I have seen them on sale at other points too in the past. Right now you can actually buy a 16 GB card on Amazon for about $40 new. While pricey, if you absolutely refuse to buy your games in their physical form then at least $40 is not an abundance of cash to blow if you're looking to add more memory to your Vita.

Message 7 of 24 (180 Views)
MVP Support
13855 posts

Jun 20, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Purchasing games digitally has never exactly been my forte. I'd much rather purchase games in their physical form than in any other way. However, this hasn't stopped me whatsoever in purchasing at least a decent collection of games digitally for use on the PlayStation Vita.

Of the games I've bought digitally for use on the platform so far, this would include the following:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)

CastleStorm: Definitive Edition

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season

PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD

Limbo

Mainly these purchases were made based on sales through the PlayStation Store. I wouldn't have made those purchases otherwise. I've even been considering getting Sorcery Saga as of late. However, I'm not exactly sure it looks like my kind of RPG. Without a demo, it's impossible to tell whether the game could turn out to be disappointing.

Having the space for all these items was not based on a 4 GB memory card alone, however. During the Holidays I managed to snag a 16 GB card for $20 from GameStop. My aim was initially to grab the 32 GB card, which the sale for that one was about double the price. I wouldn't have minded paying as much as $40 or $50 for the card, but naturally other customers took advantage of the sale before I could.

If you're quick enough you might be able to find a deal on the memory cards around the Holidays. Though, I have seen them on sale at other points too in the past. Right now you can actually buy a 16 GB card on Amazon for about $40 new. While pricey, if you absolutely refuse to buy your games in their physical form then at least $40 is not an abundance of cash to blow if you're looking to add more memory to your Vita.

Yea and sometimes stores have them on clearance. I was able to snag up a 4 gb one for $9.99 recently. As for sales, it seems as if my timing just sucks there Smiley Sad. I haven't been able to take advantage of it yet.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 8 of 24 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Jun 20, 2014

The memory cards need to be toned down in price quite a bit; while I understand that they meant the propietary format to avoid piracy [and clearly, it's worked so far] it's simply not worth it at the expense of losing potential customers. We are in a digital era, whether we like it or not, digital is here to stay. Between digital only releases + PSP + PSX + Indies a 32GB memcard is a must, I filled mine up in almost no time; sales are really good on PSN lately, but the reason Steam is so popular is because people can actually download the games and play them whenever they want. If we have to start making room in a card so as to not run out of space or having to dish another $80 for a 32GB card, then that's inconvenient and inconvenient in this day and age is something Sony should'nt be affording~.

Message 9 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13187 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 20, 2014

the memory card are still less expensive besides the price drop.  which of course, I had the same issue with the OP.

but Sales might help ya. at least Sony actually sells PS Vita Slim models with 8GB instead of 4 Smiley Happy

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 10 of 24 (159 Views)
0 Likes