Highlighted
Mar 31 2013
By: Manuel310591 First Son 1 posts

Little free space, do not know why

4 replies 90 views Edited Mar 31, 2013

Hello:

I have a 12GB slim PS3 and in the XMB menu it says there is little space available. Game Data Utility and Saved Data Utility folders only contain a few saved games no more than 3GB or 4GB, and there is no data in other folders... so where is the rest? There are about 8GB or 9GB used for something which is not displayed... is there no way to know what is using the space available?

Message 1 of 5 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Little free space, do not know why

Mar 31, 2013

PS3 takes up a percentage of hdd space for administrative purposes.

12GB?

You must have the EU model. Have you considered getting a large hdd?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 5 (86 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Manuel310591 wrote:

Hello:

I have a 12GB slim PS3 and in the XMB menu it says there is little space available. Game Data Utility and Saved Data Utility folders only contain a few saved games no more than 3GB or 4GB, and there is no data in other folders... so where is the rest? There are about 8GB or 9GB used for something which is not displayed... is there no way to know what is using the space available?

The space may be taken up by system data. In your case I would recomend upgrading to a higher capacity HDD. They are cheap and it is pretty simple to pop out the old one and replace it with a new one.

Message 3 of 5 (84 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

The 12 GB model was made for those that intend to upgrade to a larger HDD at a cheaper cost than Sony can provide.  Basically why would someone buy a 250GB model if they intend to put in a 750GB or 1TB drive... get the cheaper 12GB model and install the HDD of your choice.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 4 of 5 (83 Views)
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Apr 1, 2013

Manuel310591 wrote:

Hello:

Game Data and Saved Data are two separate aspects. Remember you don't have the full 12gb to start with since there is a certain amount of HDD space set aside for the OS.

Your best bet is to buy at least a 250gb HDD and replace the 12gb drive. I don't know how much space you're looking for, but I wouldn't go lower than 250gb myself.

Message 5 of 5 (55 Views)