Jul 24 2005
By: SpidarX Wastelander 922 posts

Lighting is the key

15 replies 12 views Edited Jul 24, 2005
Now, I'm not a computer programmer or anything, but to me, what makes ps3 games look so much more realistic than ps2 games is the use of complex lighting and shadows.  It seems like in a lot of the demo clips, they constantly mention the advanced ability to do both.  I think the next generation games are really going to blow us all away.

Message 1 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4285 posts

Re: Lighting is the key

Jul 24, 2005
lighting is good on all nex gen look at gow on the 360,
go to my site at http://www.freewebs.com/princeps3/index.htm enjoy.

Message 2 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4859 posts

Jul 24, 2005
I don't really think that 'many games will blow us away. There will be an occasional game that is just awsome, graphics and everything will just kill everything. But not all games are going to be that great.

I'm back!!!
Message 3 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4285 posts

Jul 24, 2005
agree there will be standouts ,
go to my site at http://www.freewebs.com/princeps3/index.htm enjoy.

Message 4 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
WWX
Uncharted Territory
1915 posts

Jul 24, 2005
Lighting is great but it will always be polygons and animation that do the trick for me.
,Most CG films look so great due to high polygon or nurb counts and animation.
,I think next gen will wow us with physics and animation more than anything else.
,Let's just hope Normal Mapping is a fad.
,It looks like $h1t

Message Edited by BrightIco on 07-24-2005 03:43 PM

Message 5 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4128 posts

Jul 24, 2005

,Justin_44 wrote:
I don't really think that 'many games will blow us away. There will be an occasional game that is just awsome, graphics and everything will just kill everything. But not all games are going to be that great.

True, it will happen the same as with today's games; some look amazing, but some others look not-so-good.,
Message 6 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
448 posts

Jul 24, 2005
yes and the lighting looks beautiful so far for both consoles but i cant judge the ps3's yet due to the fact it's not using it's processor yet
Message 7 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
832 posts

Jul 24, 2005

BrightIco wrote:
Lighting is great but it will always be polygons and animation that do the trick for me.
Most CG films look so great due to high polygon or nurb counts and animation.

I think next gen will wow us with physics and animation more than anything else.

Let's just hope Normal Mapping is a fad.
It looks like $h1t

Message Edited by BrightIco on 07-24-2005 03:43 PM

The topic maker is correct. Lighting is a very powerful sculpting tool in 3D, with out shadow, everything looks flat. 

,What do you think a normal map is?  The geometry under the normal map,is low res, but the surface your looking it is rendered with all the,"shadow"  information of a high res model simulating the the way your,eye perceives depth in the real word....through shadows. The surface,information used for the shadows is actually rendered out as its own,texture called an "alpha channel" which is a black and white image.,They then paste that image into one of the layers of the shader

With that image, Black represents 0 (off) and white represent 1 (on). The shades of grey are the in between values.

So what your actually looking at is a flat polygon
(well not exactly flat, but very low level poly count) with the shadow information of a high rez model being projected on it.

,Why you don't like how it looks now is cause of all the lowploy count,models they apply it (the normal map) to because systems are not,powerful enough right now. Next gen it will look much better.

,You are however 100% right about animation. There are so few games that,have good animation. Facial animation in particular is just terrible.,Hopefully with the power of these new consoles they can draw in some,talent from CG film and get some of the killer animators out there,working on games.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8402 posts

Jul 25, 2005
I dont totally agree but I see what you are saying.,
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 9 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3287 posts

Jul 25, 2005
Just look at the unreal engine from Playstation Tokyo confrence. You,can see the difference between the lighting, but of course you could,make the best lighted game, but polygons still is a major factor.
Message 10 of 16 (12 Views)
0 Likes