Limit Breaker
22404 posts

Re: Life expectancy of Vita's OLED screen?

Dec 28, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

what? 5 years is not long enough for you? we really do not know what kind of OLED the ps vita uses. you can guess its blue or you can guess its red or you can guess its green or white for that matter. there is no idea what type ps vita uses. also you cant take wiki as a 100% proof either. since anyone can go in it and edit it to anything they so want to be.

Umm, the OLED screen uses red, green and blue OLEDs that is how any screen makes all the colours. What he is saying is that the blue OLED in the screen apparently has a shorter life meaning that you will loose the blue component of the colours first turning your purples into red etc.

i'm sure they will find a way to improve it in the next few years...

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 41 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Dec 28, 2011

dulun18 wrote:

I am sure they will too, but it does not help if there is that problem now, you can not retroactively fix the blue OLEDs in your screen without replacing the whole screen.

Message 42 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 28, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

what? 5 years is not long enough for you? we really do not know what kind of OLED the ps vita uses. you can guess its blue or you can guess its red or you can guess its green or white for that matter. there is no idea what type ps vita uses. also you cant take wiki as a 100% proof either. since anyone can go in it and edit it to anything they so want to be.

Umm, the OLED screen uses red, green and blue OLEDs that is how any screen makes all the colours. What he is saying is that the blue OLED in the screen apparently has a shorter life meaning that you will loose the blue component of the colours first turning your purples into red etc.

yes and no. there is blue sentric OLED  then there is red green and white. same gos for LED.  as in there is more blues for the blue more red for the red more green for the green and so on.

blue OLED has R, G and B subpixels just like all the others. even LEDs have the same thing. when you have a red LED display it has a little bit of a red hue then its a red LED same for OLED.

a Blue OLED has deeper blues with a Red Green and Blue subpixels.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 43 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 28, 2011

OLED disadvantages

OLEDs aren't perfect. First of all, today it costs more to produce an OLED than it does to produce an LCD - although this should hopefully change in the future, as OLEDs has a potential to be even cheaper than LCDs because of their simple design.

OLEDs have limited lifetime (like any display, really), that was quite a problem a few years ago. But there has been constant progress, and today this is almost a non-issue.

OLEDs can also be problematic in direct sunlight, because of their emmissive nature. But companies are working to make it better, and newer AMOLEDs (such as Samsung's Super AMOLED and Super AMOLED Plus and Nokia's CBD displays) are quite good in that respect - some even consider them superior to LCDs.

http://www.oled-info.com/introduction

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amoled

remember samsung is the one who made the screen awhile ago a report came out about that it was before it even came out. so likely hood is samsung would be using there Super AMOLED screens so they will last longer then a normal AMOLED.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 44 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22404 posts

Jan 3, 2012

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

dulun18 wrote:

I am sure they will too, but it does not help if there is that problem now, you can not retroactively fix the blue OLEDs in your screen without replacing the whole screen.

LG is dropping price on their OLED TV..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/247173/lgs_flashy_55inch_oled_challenged_by_dropping_tv_prices.html

but still $8000 for one.. ... eh. .pass!!!   LOL

$800 or $1000 is a good range...   anything over that range.. i'll pass...    you have to consider sale tax as well..

Message 45 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 3, 2012

dulun18 wrote:

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

dulun18 wrote:

LG is dropping price on their OLED TV..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/247173/lgs_flashy_55inch_oled_challenged_by_dropping_tv_prices.html

but still $8000 for one.. ... eh. .pass!!!   LOL

$800 or $1000 is a good range...   anything over that range.. i'll pass...    you have to consider sale tax as well..

$8000 is actually not bad for an OLED that size, for something just coming out. I remember 10 years back Plasmas were selling north of $10,000, now most of them are under $1000. I certainly won't get an OLED right away, but the sooner it comes out, the sooner it will come down to a reasonable price.

I will certainly get a LED TV before I go to OLED, because I dont think they will be at a reasonable price until 2014-2015 at the earliest...

Message 46 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22404 posts

Jan 3, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

$8000 is actually not bad for an OLED that size, for something just coming out. I remember 10 years back Plasmas were selling north of $10,000, now most of them are under $1000. I certainly won't get an OLED right away, but the sooner it comes out, the sooner it will come down to a reasonable price.

I will certainly get a LED TV before I go to OLED, because I dont think they will be at a reasonable price until 2014-2015 at the earliest...

costco has a plasma tv (LG brand) on their website that's always there..

they stated in the article the price will be $8000 in 2012. .and will drop to $4000 by the end of 2013....

so maybe by 2014 or 2015 is the right time to buy an OLED..  since it should be around $800-$1000 ??  which is pretty much the same price for the LG 3D LED TV that i have right now..

and by that time the current tv i have is already 3-4 yrs old..

**let's start saving.. $15 every 2 weeks will be enough.. 

Message 47 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 4, 2012

Until I see a large OLED TV in person, don't think there will be much of a difference between an OLED and the better LED TVs out there. After I hopefully get a 3D LED TV this year, the next step would probably be an auto-stereoscopic TV...

Message 48 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 4, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Until I see a large OLED TV in person, don't think there will be much of a difference between an OLED and the better LED TVs out there. After I hopefully get a 3D LED TV this year, the next step would probably be an auto-stereoscopic TV...

isn't there already a Auto-Stereocopic tv out? unless i'm missing something I remember hearing about that kind of TV. 

only thing I can add more to the OLED tv verse LED TV is at least the OLED is organic and not fake so it is over all better for the environment unless i'm missing something here. as the LED TV is not organic. (hence the names.)

Message 49 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 4, 2012

Autostereoscopic TVs have been released in Japan and Europe, I believe. The main issue with them is that (like the 3DS) you have to position your head in specific areas in order to see the full 3D effect. Ones that are about to be introduced have a camera system in the TV itself that will scan the room to determine where the faces in the room are and adjust the TV so everyone in the room can see the 3D effect. I think this works for 6-8 people at once.

I don't know if and OLED is necessarily better for the environment, the main feature of an OLED display is that the organic pixel elements in the display emit the light itsef, rather than using a backlight like an LED & LCD uses. The least environmentally friendly device would be the LCD set, since the CFL backlight it uses has mercury in them...

Message 50 of 65 (90 Views)
0 Likes