PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Life expectancy of Vita's OLED screen?

Dec 26, 2011

dulun18 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

The Sony OLED TV I saw was only 11 inches and sold for $2,500 at the time. The one you are talking about was probably just a prototype.

I'm just stating wilth all the Android smartphones out there already with the OLED screens, people are already seeing the benefits of OLED technology, far in advaced of the Vita's release...

yeah.. that's why they call it the first OLED..

as for android phone have oled..  yeah. .i think there area  1-3 brands that have that?

this why i'm excited!!  with ps vita.. maybe pretty soon i can own an affordable OLED tv.. within $1000 within the next 2-4 yrs>??  maybe sooner..

I checked and apparently the OLED panel in the Vita is made by Samsung, and I believe Sony buys most of their display panels from Samsung.

I think Samsung and LG will be the leading suppliers of OLED panels for the time being...

Message 31 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22635 posts

Dec 26, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I checked and apparently the OLED panel in the Vita is made by Samsung, and I believe Sony buys most of their display panels from Samsung.

I think Samsung and LG will be the leading suppliers of OLED panels for the time being...

that is true!!

KOTAKU stated that when they opened up the PS vita

the OLED screen in VITAs are SAMSUNG  BRAND.. . lol

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 32 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 27, 2011

The blue led has the lowest life span.  If it goes half bright first then your system's colors will still be off.  I have a hard time justifying spending full price for a system designed to last less and have a battery I can't replace.  It just sounds like Sony is trying to give their handhelds a life cycle closer to a cellphone.  If they support the Vita for ten years then you may have to buy two over that period if they don't have a way to rebalance the colors when blue goes down.  Even then your system won't be as good as it was when it was new and you may have to pay someone to replace your battery.  At three hours of play time it really can't afford to lose any more battery efficiency through use.

Message 33 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Dec 27, 2011

Much ado over nothing.

Message 34 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22635 posts

Dec 27, 2011

bykfiend42 wrote:

The blue led has the lowest life span.  If it goes half bright first then your system's colors will still be off.  I have a hard time justifying spending full price for a system designed to last less and have a battery I can't replace.  It just sounds like Sony is trying to give their handhelds a life cycle closer to a cellphone.  If they support the Vita for ten years then you may have to buy two over that period if they don't have a way to rebalance the colors when blue goes down.  Even then your system won't be as good as it was when it was new and you may have to pay someone to replace your battery.  At three hours of play time it really can't afford to lose any more battery efficiency through use.

for a portable..  10 yrs is difficult to achieve

since the psp is like 5-6 yrs??..   but to me it's dead 2-3 yrs back already...

Message 35 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 27, 2011

dulun18 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

that is true!!

KOTAKU stated that when they opened up the PS vita

the OLED screen in VITAs are SAMSUNG  BRAND.. . lol

Not only that but apparently Sony had a financial stake in Samsung's display panel operation, but Samsung purchased Sony's stake in the operation for nearly a billion dollars...

Message 36 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 28, 2011

bykfiend42 wrote:

what? 5 years is not long enough for you? we really do not know what kind of OLED the ps vita uses. you can guess its blue or you can guess its red or you can guess its green or white for that matter. there is no idea what type ps vita uses. also you cant take wiki as a 100% proof either. since anyone can go in it and edit it to anything they so want to be.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 37 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Dec 28, 2011

how

Message 38 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22635 posts

Dec 28, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Not only that but apparently Sony had a financial stake in Samsung's display panel operation, but Samsung purchased Sony's stake in the operation for nearly a billion dollars...

Samsung invested trillions into OLED..  so i guess that's why??

Message 39 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Dec 28, 2011

Incagneto wrote:

what? 5 years is not long enough for you? we really do not know what kind of OLED the ps vita uses. you can guess its blue or you can guess its red or you can guess its green or white for that matter. there is no idea what type ps vita uses. also you cant take wiki as a 100% proof either. since anyone can go in it and edit it to anything they so want to be.

Umm, the OLED screen uses red, green and blue OLEDs that is how any screen makes all the colours. What he is saying is that the blue OLED in the screen apparently has a shorter life meaning that you will loose the blue component of the colours first turning your purples into red etc.

Message 40 of 65 (102 Views)
0 Likes