Dec 17 2011
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22581 posts

Life expectancy of Vita's OLED screen?

64 replies 3643 views Edited Dec 17, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

reading up about OLED.. and  um.. i hope the thing last more than 16,000 hours..  if not at least 60,000 is good  

Lifespan
The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials. In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 25,000–40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model. However, some manufacturers' displays aim to increase the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing their expected life past that of LCD displays by improving light outcoupling, thus achieving the same brightness at a lower drive current. In 2007, experimental OLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m2 of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.

QUOTEE

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Life expectancy of Vita's OLED screen?

Dec 17, 2011

Since I am going to buy my Vita from Costco, I'm not going to worry about this one bit...

Message 2 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22581 posts

Dec 17, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Since I am going to buy my Vita from Costco, I'm not going to worry about this one bit...

LOL

true!!  just exchange it after 2-3 yrs and get a new one!!

i guess when they release the PS VITA SLIM.. is a good time!!

Message 3 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 18, 2011

I have played the Vita it is quite comfortable to hold. It is bigger than a PSP, but just as light (in weight) as a PSP 3000, its surprising.

It would be hard to imagine it getting any thinner, it might make it harder to hold that way...

Message 4 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22581 posts

Dec 18, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I have played the Vita it is quite comfortable to hold. It is bigger than a PSP, but just as light (in weight) as a PSP 3000, its surprising.

It would be hard to imagine it getting any thinner, it might make it harder to hold that way...

for compact is always the way to go it seem.

since PSone, PS2, PSP,  PS3, ... all have SLIM version..

so.. i'm sure VITA will be as well  after 2-3 yrs on the market.. maybe even sooner!!

Message 5 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 18, 2011

IMO the Vita isn't compact it is portable, but not compact. The screen is quite a bit larger than the PSP's. The Vita isn't something you would want to carry in your pocket, because of its size...

Message 6 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22581 posts

Dec 18, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

IMO the Vita isn't compact it is portable, but not compact. The screen is quite a bit larger than the PSP's. The Vita isn't something you would want to carry in your pocket, because of its size...

that's why i want a case (strong one) so it can be fit into my pocket

my jeans' pockets can hold the the original psp (1000)  .. so i think it can hold the ps vita

and of course..i always carry about a 17.3 in laptop.. so there are space available in my backpack if needed 

anyway.. i hope the system will launch with better gamers if not more games when it is finally here in the US

http://www.gamespot.com/features/get-to-know-the-vita-launch-lineup-6347764/

about the vita.. i think only a few things that i could consider CONS  are

1- cost of memory card

2- battery life?  3-5 hours?..  can you buy a bigger battery like the psp?

3- OLED is nice.. but short live..  (but with costco.. i guess it's okSmiley Happy

4- 3G?..  monthly fee? and who is the provider? AT&T??

Message 7 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 18, 2011

I think the Vita will launch with around 17 games, which is probably around the amount of games as the PSP launched with.

I found out that the Vita's memory card prices are actually a little cheaper than what Sony was charging for the M2 memory cards that the PSPgo used by $5-$10.

The battery life is not that high probably because of the powerful 4 core processor in the Vita. The internal battery in not replaceable, but you can buy a separate external battery to extend the battery life.

I think OLED technology has progressed enough, no one needs to worry about it .

The 3G plan is through at&t, and it will work like the iPad. No monthly fee & no contract, using a pre-paid data plan based on the amount of data you want.

Message 8 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22581 posts

Dec 18, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I think the Vita will launch with around 17 games, which is probably around the amount of games as the PSP launched with.

I found out that the Vita's memory card prices are actually a little cheaper than what Sony was charging for the M2 memory cards that the PSPgo used by $5-$10.

The battery life is not that high probably because of the powerful 4 core processor in the Vita. The internal battery in not replaceable, but you can buy a separate external battery to extend the battery life.

I think OLED technology has progressed enough, no one needs to worry about it .

The 3G plan is through at&t, and it will work like the iPad. No monthly fee & no contract, using a pre-paid data plan based on the amount of data you want.

that is what i hate about apple's itouch/iphone/ipad..

irreplaceable battery--

memory card is cheap.. but cheap as in SD memory card price?..

sony any stuffs has has SONY on it aren't cheap.. when comparing to others..

**i don't know..   from the look of it   .. i might have to cough up $350 -$400   for the PSVITA i wanted.. :/..

Message 9 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5389 posts

Dec 18, 2011

Yea, but that's if you play 8hrs a day for 5 years... Even then, it's 5 years, and that's at half brightness. Meaning you can still play with it after, it just won't look as nice as the first day you bought it.

I suppose with this, you can speculate that they'll come out with a new version of the vita a few years down the road.

Christina Lee photo Christinalee_zpsa4a832cb.jpg
Message 10 of 65 (3,643 Views)
0 Likes