Highlighted
Oct 08 2012
By: kaosneophyte First Son 2 posts

Lan Party in location with No/limited Internet

3 replies 1798 views Edited Oct 8, 2012

I'm a soldier deployed to Afghan at the moment, and me and some of my buddies are trying to link up MW3 to play on Lan Party mode. A lot of the posts I've read indicate that you can do so with out the requirement of an actual internet connection. I have a Medialink Wireless-N router that has 4 ports in the back.....my laptop is hooked into one port, and the 2 PS3's are connected into 2 of the other ports for a Wired Connection. The router is giving the IP address to the two systems, however, we're still not seeing each other when we go to multiplayer/lan game in MW3. 

Obviously there's a piece to this puzzle that's missing, and I can't find an actual definative answer through searching.....so.....I'm asking here.

What the heck are we missing that will allow us to connect through my router on a wired connection?

Message 1 of 4 (1,798 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Lan Party in location with No/limited Internet

Oct 8, 2012

......The issue is that you're using a router.....

for some reason people have issues with trying to setup a LAN connection using routers....

The piece of the puzzle you're missing is that you need a Hub/Switch not a router......

Also if you're just connecting two PS3's for LAN activity, then you can get away with using a "Crossover Ethernet Cable"

It looks exactly the same as normal ethernet cable, but it needs to be labeled CROSSOVER..... dont ask me why, im still confused on it

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 4 (1,794 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

was hoping to avoid the x-over cable, as a couple more of the guys might be getting PS3's in the near future....as for what an x-over cable is, it's a normal cat-5 ethernet cable that has 2 wires swapped at one end...hence crossover....

hmm....stupid routers......i'm seriously hoping that sony fixes this issue with the Ps4 coming out next year or so....cause as much as i dislike microsoft's way of things, they really did good with their system link/lan party ability....

oh yeah...and we've tried a switch...dinnae work either due....

Message 3 of 4 (1,787 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Oct 9, 2012
Have you tried to LAN via wireless only? I literally did that this weekend with an airport express router. All ps3's obviously need to connect to the same router... Also, make sure to select LAN mode from the menu. I don't play cod, but borderlands specifically has a LAN option
Message 4 of 4 (1,773 Views)
0 Likes