May 28 2014
By: Saiyan_Xeno First Son 2 posts

Kraken 7.1 vs Sony gold headset

[ Edited ]
14 replies 7176 views Edited May 28, 2014

Hey guys! First time poster. I'm in a bit of a bind. I bought the kraken 7.1 headset last night and they sound great. One minor downside though is that the headset / options supplied by sony don't allow it to go too high volume wise. I'm also fairly certain that I'm not getting the full 7.1. I am able to return or exchange it but I want to know, is it really worth it? Will the gold give me the same "issue"? I play console more than I do PC, but I've heard and read so many mixed reviews on the gold that now I'm not sure. Any suggestions or ideas? Please and thank you. I know ones officially supported so from a biased standpoint it should be better but I'm still not sure what to do. Whether to keep or exchange for the gold.

slight edit of capitalization to title, to learn more please see here. Thanks! GuardianBelle

Message 1 of 15 (7,176 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6112 posts

Re: Kraken 7.1 vs Sony gold headset

May 28, 2014

Yeah, it is the software by Razer that gives off their surround feature, something the PS4 doesn't have, so you are just listening it through Stereo. I'd grab the Gold if price seems to be around the $100 budget mark and you want surround + wireless functionality.  

If you are willing to spend some extra dough, I highly recommend the PLYR1's though (Skullcandy brand but made by Astro through the buy out) over the Gold's, which on Amazon costs $180. Currently crowned the best headset to buy by the audiophiles at Head-Fi too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-...

I've gone through multiple headsets over the years,, and even my Gold Headset was sold to get the PLYR1's, sound is so good that I don't see myself upgrading for a very long time.

Message 2 of 15 (7,166 Views)
First Son
2 posts

May 28, 2014
Your opinion is highly valued! I don't mind dishing out the extra 80 since I plan on making this a long term investment. One thing though, you mentions that the sound is great. I'm assuming it Allows for the 7.1/equally high stereo quality right out of the box stereo wise? I'm brand new to headset usage. Best I ever had was simple stereo / mic / Xbox 360 headset for simple chat.
Message 3 of 15 (7,148 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6112 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2014

Saiyan_Xeno wrote:
Your opinion is highly valued! I don't mind dishing out the extra 80 since I plan on making this a long term investment. One thing though, you mentions that the sound is great. I'm assuming it Allows for the 7.1/equally high stereo quality right out of the box stereo wise? I'm brand new to headset usage. Best I ever had was simple stereo / mic / Xbox 360 headset for simple chat.

Astro is well known for making the best headsets available, especially sound quality wise but the price is way up there. They were recently bought by Skullcandy to improve their sound from their own headsets. So while the PLYR1's have the Skullcandy logo/branding, they didn't lay a finger on the headset beside the design work; the sound, speakers , and setup were all done by the recently bought Astro team.

While the Gold's are a good entry headset, the surround sound is lacking as it's using Sony's proprietary VSS surround sound tech, which isn't as good as a Dolby Surround Sound headset. When using the VSS, bass is pretty much subdued compared to when it is off (you can turn VSS off to make it a Stereo headset). While the clarity of the treble is good, it is a bit sharp and while all is customizable through their app, the headset still falls in line to my original statement, there is a better headset if you are willing to pay a little more.

The PLYR1's feel extremely balanced in regards to sound, bass is great (very punchy), and is a 7.1 surround sound headset using Dolby Surround Sound tech. This allows you to hear spatial surroundings unlike what a normal stereo headset can provide. Gives you an advantage too when it comes to shooters like BF4, COD, and the like. The PLYR1's also have a mode switch to change between more bass (for bass heads), more treble (footsteps amplified for shooters), and of course a balanced mode to just enjoy the overall game you are playing.

It's a great headset that I've been looking for for years - that perfect headset imo. I've been through multiple Turtle Beach headsets (xp500, x41, dpx11, dpx21), Trittons (Pro, 720), Astro (A40 2011, A50 2012), and Sony Pulse Elite and Gold's. I'm personally done looking for headsets as I feel the PLYR1 is the BEST sounding one I've bought, has the most convincing surround sound, the features and comfort I want, all for a decent price that should be worth in the $300 range but surprisingly isn't ($180). 

As you mentioned, I consider a headset an investment and I'm glad I don't have to look for a headset anymore as I feel my search has ended with the best money can buy. Maybe you will feel the same Smiley Wink!

If you do end up getting it, I'll happily help you set it up with their firmware update and best settings for it.

Message 4 of 15 (7,136 Views)
Wastelander
811 posts

May 28, 2014

Writer - He only does everything!

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 5 of 15 (7,134 Views)
MVP Support
6112 posts

May 28, 2014
Message 6 of 15 (7,129 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4817 posts

May 28, 2014

da1writer wrote:

@Unclear_Motive @Ikit-Klaw will tell you that they had a few headsets before getting the PLYR1's and feel their headset search journey has ended and really like the PLYR1's Smiley Wink!

Great set of headphones, surround sound works well, mic is top notch, and they will also work on the PC

Message 7 of 15 (7,119 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

May 28, 2014
As da1writer has stated, the SkullCandy PLYR 1 is the way to go. It has 7.1 digital surround sound, chat/game volume mixer (to prioritize one or the other), is very comfortable, great battery life (I'm getting 6-8 hours per charge), and it's wireless. You simply can't get these things in other headsets for the price. You might think $180 is expensive for the headset, but for what you're getting it is a great price. If you're patient you can wait for amazon to have them on sale again for $130. It seems like they out them on sale once a month (from what I could tell).

Also as da1writer has stated, I have went through a couple of the headsets before sticking with the PLYR 1's. I first had the Astro a30's which had great sound quality (on par with PLYR 1's), but they weren't wireless. Wireless isn't necessary, but it is what I prefer so I decided to try something else. I moved on to the Gold Wireless headset by playstation. It was comfortable, convenient, and wireless; however, it didn't have true surround sound which is what I was looking for.

After I heard that da1writer picked up the PLYR 1's and recommended them for me for my needs, I bought them immediately (luckily for me I was able to pick it up at the $130 sales price).

If my preferences match yours, look no further than the PLYR 1's.
Message 8 of 15 (7,116 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Nov 12, 2014
I just bought the Razer Kraken 7.1 USB Headset and it even say on the box that it is compatible for PS4.
Message 9 of 15 (5,705 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7039 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 12, 2014

The Kraken 7.1 have this sticker on the new boxes...

but people DO NOT READ it....

snapshot14.png

This is because its small print and the impluse buyer never reads the small print...

Compatable NOT fully supported

7.1 only on PC in the small print...

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 10 of 15 (5,696 Views)
0 Likes