May 04 2012
By: moneymakinmj First Son 2 posts

Justifying the Purpose of Buying Vita games off PSN

33 replies 875 views Edited May 4, 2012

Seriously Sony,

Why are games as much as their physical counter-parts on PSN? I know Sony doesn't set the price for Digital Downloads, the developers do but they can implement that the price of the download should be %5 off the retail price. PSN Vita games should be $34.99, $35.99 across the board. There shouldn't be full $39.99 games on the PSN.

Also i wanted to talk about Pre-Orders. People who pre-order Physical games get Bonuses, etc, etc.. Which usually come in the form of an unlcok code. Why aren't digital buyers able to recieve these bonuses as well? I want to download Resistance on My Vita's Memory Card, but if i do i wont be able to take part in the Extra stuff being giving out to people who go physical and then what would be my purpose of buying a 32gb Memory card?

If Sony wants to win the masses over. It needs to make Ps Store really Viable. If not with 3rd party games, at the very least their 1st party titles.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 34 (875 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Re: Justifying the Purpose of Buying Vita games off PSN

May 4, 2012

Agreed.

Three of the Vita games I have bought so far I sold used on Amazon for more than 50% of what I paid for them.  If developers want to encourage digital only they have to make it worthwhile.  And I mean more than 5% off.  Why would a smart consumer pay those ridiculous prices when they can buy used much cheaper, AND sell them back when done.  

All this talk of the next consoles killing used games.  Fine.  Then the price of new games should be lowered by 25%, and older games need to drop quicker.  I keep browsing the PSP titles on PSN for my Vita, and games that came out a year ago are still going for $20 and $30.   For a friggin handheld?!  I want to spend my money on PSN, but I will not pay those prices.  It is not fiscally responsible. 

Fix this Sony, and you will have more of my money.

Message 2 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

May 4, 2012

They do it because it's easier to buy online than at retail. I mean if I'm just lying around the house and I see Resistance: Burning Skies pop up on PSN, I'm going to buy it instantly. Not because it's cheaper, and not because it includes bonuses, but because I'm lazy. I don't like going to Gamestop. They rip me off everytime I trade in a game, and I'm sick of it. So I've become more responsible with my game purchases. Instead of just buying a game and hoping it's good, I do lots of research and check reviews, then invest. However, I should have done more research on Unit 13, because it's not fun at all.

Anyway, as the next generation comes along and used games become a thing of the past, digital downloads will begin to include bonuses and become much cheaper. Because digital downloads are the future wheather we like it or not.

Message 3 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

May 4, 2012

Personally, I buy physical copies any time I can. You come out paying less in the long run, even if you buy new releases at full retail price, than buying digital copies, once you factor in the current price of memory cards, and you also have something you can sell, trade, give away, or let someone else borrow if you want.

Speaking of digital copies of games - I saw an article yesterday that EA was basically not only ending support for, but physically causing an existing game that people paid for on iOS (I think it was a Guitar Hero title), and the extra content/songs they paid for as well, to no longer be able to be played by those who own the game and already have it installed on their device. That really sends up a red flag for me about digital content and games, especially if Apple, Sony, or Microsoft actually allow game companies to get away with doing something like that. Physical copies will work as long as you have hardware that still works, and the physical game is still working as well (provided they don't start including a sort of "black list" into system updates for the OS on each device for physical games that the system is "not allowed to play"). If companies start going this same route, shutting down existing games people have already paid for so they can force people to buy their next installment if they want to continue to play a franchise, it's going to be bad news for all of us who already paid for anything we downloaded instead of buying physical copies.

Message 4 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1532 posts

May 4, 2012

you shouldn't be bying games of PSN that have physical copies, only bying games that are PSN exclusive like Sunimoni, SSD, Mutant Blob, etc as well as DLC. Games bought from PSN load longer than their physical counterpart, i dont care if it cheaper for 5$ or not, as long as i have my sweet box with me that have ton of full retail Vita games like a boss every time i walk down that street.

I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 5 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

May 4, 2012

Not sure if you were just agreeing with my statement, or if you might have misunderstood my post, but I don't ever buy games off of PSN that have physical copies available for purchase. I always get physical copies if they are available. The only ones I ever do buy digital copies of are digital only games, like you mentioned with PSN exclusives.

Still, even with those - what I mentioned above that EA is trying to pull on iOS customers has me more than a little worried that if they are allowed to get away with it, we may end up seeing the same kind of stunts attempted with Sony's customers as well at some point.

Message 6 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

May 5, 2012

I buy physical copies if it's over 2 GB.. That way I can keep a minimum of memory cards in the long term.

I would be happy putting everything on digital even if it costs the same if only the memory cards where bigger. Not having to trip down to the store and deal with swapping cartridges to play games is great. Unfortunately swapping memory cards is more hassle than swapping game carts.

Another advantage to digital is you can re-download it if your Vita is stolen. I figure the Vita price pales in comparison to the many games you can re-download if it's stolen... Assuming there's no hitch in that scenario.

Message 7 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

May 5, 2012

I usually buy digital, but if the file is ridiculously large, I buy a physical copy if it's for the Vita. My PS3 has a 750GB hard drive so I don't have to worry about space, but the Vita has a max of 32GB so it can get pretty cramped if you go all-digital. Like DJ_Capro said, if the file is over a certain size, I buy physical retail copies.

Message 8 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 6, 2012

Are You serious? Easier to buy digital? People shop at Walmart,Target, K-mart, Best-Buy, Toys-r-us, Gamestop everyday. Even Radio Shack sells games. There is no lack of places to buy games. Its an awful stereotype to classify gamers as "lazy"

The majority of Vita owners are not children. I have a car as most people do, i can get up and go to the store. You don't have to trade in a game at gamestop to buy from them. If you don't like them use another retailer of your choice.

Im sure if gamestop or toys-r-us were having a buy one get one free you would find a way out there wouldn't you? Lazy people like saving $$$ since $$$ is hard to come by especially for the lazy lot..

If digital prices were good people would FIND A WAY to go digital to save $$$. Vita games $25.99 or $29.99. Nobody would even care or hear complaining about the Memory card prices (32gb). Some people would probably buy two.

There no reason digital games should cost as much as they do since developers/companies completely cut the middleman out of the equation.

What about PSPgo owners? They have no choice but to buy digital. Why hit them over the head so hard? They could be picking up the same games in the used bin at gamestop for $5.99 or less or brand new from Amazon for around $9.99. While PSN charges $19.99 to $29.99

The most ridiculous price i've ever seen on PSN Currently is

Tekken 6 PSP. $39.99......Release date=2009 Current date=2012

Do something Sony

Message 9 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

May 7, 2012

Too much faith in humanity.

That guy isn't really saying he's lazy. It's just convenient to see something on PSN and click "Buy Now". While you're generalizing a populace, this is the only fact meant to have been conveyed.

Sometimes, you want to play a new game after all the retail stores are closed. PSN never closes up shop. Who knows. We're (as in, your 'majority') are adults and can skip curfews, right?

Message 10 of 34 (875 Views)
0 Likes