Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 02 2012
By: BRIT-KO VP of Gaming 30362 posts

Just got YLOD!

[ Edited ]
8 replies 142 views Edited Oct 2, 2012

Well it's happened, I just got the dreaded YLOD on my Jan 2010 250GB PS3 Slim, it wasn't even 3 years old!

Yes I have the extended warranty, so that's the route I'll take, I suppose, but the thrill of getting a refurbished PS3 back with only a 3 month warranty on it doeasn't exactly instill me with joy & enthusiasm!

Oh well :smileysad:

Message 1 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4692 posts

Re: Just got YLOD!

Oct 2, 2012

How sad.  I hope they get you a good one that lasts well beyond those 3 months.

My PS3 has been having issues lately as well, but I've had it since April 2008.  It won't always recognize discs when I try to insert them; I practically have to force them in.  It is also much noisier than it once was, but it usually runs fine.  I don't think it will last much longer :smileysad: so I am considering getting one of the new ones.  I gave my brother my PS1, PS2 when I "upgraded" those systems, so it may do that.  It's about time he gets a PS3 anyway :smileytongue:.

Message 2 of 9 (125 Views)
VP of Gaming
30362 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 2, 2012

You know what kind of has me a little "annoyed" is the fact that it's only around 31/32 months old, I always treated it well, kept it clean etc, I did all the things I tell others to do lol.

And what has me a little stumped is the reason behind the YLOD, all I was doing beforehand was looking in the PS Store, accepting some friend requests, turning down others lol & then I turned it off, around 5 minutes later I'd forgotten to look at something in the store, that's when it happened, 3 beeps, yellow light, I was like "**bleep**" lol...couldn't believe it had happened, it was like what happened from the time I previously turned it on till this time, it was just ready to fail I suppose!

@JERM, thank you, & so do I lol...if not I know what'll be on my Christmas list lol!

Message 3 of 9 (120 Views)
VP of Gaming
30362 posts

Oct 2, 2012

JERM , everyone else that reads this.

I just picked my wife up from work, on the way home I was telling her about the PS3, she was as "annoyed" as I was & i was trying to explain YLDO to her, anyway we got home, I said to her "here look, I'll show you what happens when a PS3 gets the YLOD, I hit the power button &, well, in my amazement it came on, no beeps, no yellow light like there was before, nothing, just a normal start up like it always has done!!!!

I don't know if I just got lucky, whether I should be surprised, happy, worried still or what.

Any ideas what happened anyone?

Message 4 of 9 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6493 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 2, 2012

Sorry to hear it.  Bummer. CORRECTION - GOOD NEWS! 

My phat didn't exactly die...just wouldn't read discs anymore.  Tried a couple of lens harnesses, but nothing worked.  Still sitting in a friend's repair shop in case he gets the time to look at it.

Meanwhile here's praying my slim doesn't go out.  Might be a good time for a backup.

Maybe your system was tired and needed a rest?

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 5 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30362 posts

Oct 2, 2012

vfr_800_rider wrote:

Sorry to hear it.  Bummer. CORRECTION - GOOD NEWS! 

My phat didn't exactly die...just wouldn't read discs anymore.  Tried a couple of lens harnesses, but nothing worked.  Still sitting in a friend's repair shop in case he gets the time to look at it.

Meanwhile here's praying my slim doesn't go out.  Might be a good time for a backup.

Maybe your system was tired and needed a rest?

Thanks!

Yea I just don't get it vfr, it did everything that a YLOD PS3 does, just like it does in all the Youtube videos, same beeps, same yellow light, everything, I'm scared to turn it off again!!

Message 6 of 9 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 2, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

I just picked my wife up from work, on the way home I was telling her about the PS3, she was as "annoyed" as I was & i was trying to explain YLDO to her, anyway we got home, I said to her "here look, I'll show you what happens when a PS3 gets the YLOD, I hit the power button &, well, in my amazement it came on, no beeps, no yellow light like there was before, nothing, just a normal start up like it always has done!!!!

I don't know if I just got lucky, whether I should be surprised, happy, worried still or what.

You need to get some kind of memory stick (formatted as FAT32) and get all of your saved data, movies, music, etc. asap before it happens again.

If it does happen again, I suggest you take it to a good repair shop to have your PS3 professionally reballed. What most likely happened is that the lead-free solder holding your chips in place started cracking, which resulted from the cheap  thermal paste Sony uses. When you get your system reballed, you will get quality leaded solder (more durable) and better quality thermal paste. Warranties range from 1 year - 2 years and  this repair usually lasts much longer than a reflow.

Either that or get a replacement from Sony with a 3 month warranty.

Message 7 of 9 (100 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30362 posts

Oct 2, 2012

louie540 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

You need to get some kind of memory stick (formatted as FAT32) and get all of your saved data, movies, music, etc. asap before it happens again.

If it does happen again, I suggest you take it to a good repair shop to have your PS3 professionally reballed. What most likely happened is that the lead-free solder holding your chips in place started cracking, which resulted from the cheap  thermal paste Sony uses. When you get your system reballed, you will get quality leaded solder (more durable) and better quality thermal paste. Warranties range from 1 year - 2 years and  this repair usually lasts much longer than a reflow.

Either that or get a replacement from Sony with a 3 month warranty.

Thanks for responding.

I already have the extra 2 year extended warranty so i'm still covered with Sony anyway, so that's where it'll go if it needs repairing, at least until the warranty expires in Jan of 2013!

As for backing up data, yup, done, I'm always telling others to do this too!

Message 8 of 9 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Oct 2, 2012
Well I wish you luck on your adventures. By the way, this wasn't your fault, I hope you know that.
Message 9 of 9 (86 Views)
0 Likes