Dec 29 2011
By: Datascream First Son 2 posts

Just bought a new 42" 3D HDTV but the PS3 won't display the 3D! HELP

5 replies 102 views Edited Dec 29, 2011

Here's what's going on.  I just got a new Vizio 42" 3D HDTV.  I got it all mounted and pretty-like, the high speed 3D ready/ethernet supported cords, as soon as I hooked up my PS3 it found the 1080p settings and synched up to the best setting as usual.  However when I tried to go to the 3D settings on my TV to the Scensio setting, the image was all mashed.  The images didn't synch up, everything is zoomed in, with images overlapping and criscrossing each other.  I tried the SBS (Side By Side) and TB (Top-Bottom) settings with the same results.  I called Vizio, but they didn't really have any answers for me, I have to give them credity for trying though.  But they've basically chalked it up to it being the PS3's fault, about possibly a setting not checked or switched to the right setting.  They tried downgrading my resolution to tweeking the effect in game, with no avail.  The biggest head scratcher was when I put my Tron Legacy 3D movie in and it told me my "device" didn't support 3D playback.  Earlier I was able to play a 2 minute 3D demo off of the VUDU app on my TV and it worked perfectly, however that was over the VUDU app, not the PS3, so the 3D works in some form.  I'm about to take the TV back and try a new one, but I'm really just hoping it's something I've missed.  Anyone have any ideas as to why it's not working?  Any (serious) help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2156 posts

Re: Just bought a new 42" 3D HDTV but the PS3 won't display the 3D! HELP

Dec 29, 2011

if it is only 3d ready it might need an adapter or something, that is how it is for my 60 inch dlp tv. also you got 3d glasses and everything? i couldnt really tell you for sure without looking at the tv myself though.

Message 2 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

Dec 29, 2011

are you using an HDMI 1.3 cable? that's the minimum for 3D apparently.

It's also normal for images to be overlapping eachother, when you put the 3D glasses on it syncs them up into one image, so it's supposed to look "mashed up" to the naked eye.

Are you using the latest firmware update? I think 3D is implemented in 3.5 onwards or something, so maybe you need to update.

you shouldn't have to select SBS etc. on your TV, your PS3 will load 3D images automatically.

that's all I can think of sorry.

Message 3 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 29, 2011

yeah I know it's supposed to be crisscrossed, I think I forgot to add that the picture is all stretched.  The image is overlapping from one side of the screen to the other side, zoomed in and considerably distorted.

Message 4 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 30, 2012

I have the same issue, try playing a 3d movie, does that work, mine does, but no 3d games??? Model M3D550SR VIZIO, please donbt make me take this TV back!?!??#@#?

Message 5 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 30, 2012

When the PS3 detects a 3D display, it will prompt you to verify the size of the display. Try doing a video reset by holding down the power button so that it beeps twice to force the PS3 to re-detect the display. If that doesn't work, try getting another HDMI cable that is certified to work with 3D displays...

Message 6 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes