Oct 08 2013
By: Player24678574 First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

Just Dance 2014 and the PS4 camera

10 replies 12523 views Edited Oct 8, 2013

Not sure if it has been asked before but is there any offcial word on if Just Dance 2014 will need the user to hold a PS Move or DS4 controller to work? I asked Ubisoft support and they replied saying that they had no information regarding to future release of this game (even though the release date is only a month away?) and suggested that I contact Sony.

People have speculated that juding from the PlayRoom demo and the packaging, Just Dance 2014 won't need a PS Move controller and will *probably* work controller free. I just want to make sure that is the case.

Message 1 of 11 (12,523 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Just Dance 2014 and the PS4 camera

Oct 8, 2013

Great question, and one that I have aswell.  

I currently have both next gen systems preordered, though ill only be getting one at launch.  My wife loves these kinds of games, and as a result ive been leaning toward the Xbox 1, however if I know the PS4 camera will work full motion body like Kinect does then I will happily just get the PS4 instead.  

Message 2 of 11 (12,508 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Oct 9, 2013

This is something I have been asking for a few weeks now. It's just amazing to me that this is not known a month out from launch. The game has already been reviewed for current gen but there is no word on how the next gen versions will function at all. Ridiculous! 

Message 3 of 11 (12,497 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Oct 9, 2013

I agree and I have the same question. I've tried asking this to Shuhei Yoshida through twitter but I got no response. My thoughts on this are that the new PS4 camera will in fact behave like the Kinect, but they won't say too much about it because they don't want to accept that Kinect was a good product, and they will release this the camera was upgraded and that's it, and to me that is a mistake, because it generates these kind of questions on people. I'm on PS3 and planning to get my PS4, but I was torn on waiting for the PS4 release of Just Dance 2014 if I don't need any controllers in my hands to dance, or if I do need them, to just get the PS3 version.

However I saw today a video in IGN for Just Dance 2014 for Xbox 1, but the french guy speaking about the game says that he is very excited about the new generation and how it works in Xbone and the new camera on PS4, but I can't really tell what he is saying... but I'm thinking that it means that no controllers will be needed.

I don't know if I can put the link to ign (http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/08/just-dance-2014-hits-new-york-fashion-week), but here it goes... if it doesn't appear just search in IGN Just Dance 2014: Dancing with the Xbox One Kinect and around the middle of the video it's the part I'm referring to.

Hopefully someone from Playstation will officially confirm if we will require a PS Move or not for PS4.

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 11 (12,470 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Wow, somehow i missed that IGN video before. Thanks alot! It seems like they will definitely be using the Playstation camera for tracking direct from the devs. How it compares to the quality of the Kinect experience will be very interesting. Obviously, it would be a big blow to MS if it did function on par for much less money and power compared to the Kinect v2. I guess we'll see soon enough Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11 (12,451 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12313 posts

Oct 9, 2013

PowerThroughLove wrote:

Great question, and one that I have aswell.  

I currently have both next gen systems preordered, though ill only be getting one at launch.  My wife loves these kinds of games, and as a result ive been leaning toward the Xbox 1, however if I know the PS4 camera will work full motion body like Kinect does then I will happily just get the PS4 instead.  

Even on PS3 there are motion games which require no Move controller.  It was simply added to give increased 1:1 accurracy and give physical buttons for hardcore gaming as well as casual dance and fitness games.

Best controller free game is Kung Fu live.  Your real body is placed in the game and you fight bad guys in a back alley, its a really cool 2-d fighter and because the PSEYE captures at 120FPS its is very fluid is capturing exactly what you do plus some (Based on gestures)    You need the lighting to be just right(From personal experience but its a blast and anyone, any age can play it.

(I didnt watch this vid so I hope it shows the strengths as well as weaknesses.

There are quite a few others as well.   PS4 camera is raisng the stakes by having a 240FPS mode, which will capture motion much better.  (By the way first kinect was 30FPS, and why it responded so slow and sometimes just misses completely your movements, the next kinect will have a 120FPS mode so should be at least as smooth as the PS3`s PSEYE)

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 6 of 11 (12,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 10, 2013
I agree and I do not want to buy the move control right now unless I have too. You would think that they would give some I site due to the demand and they would sell more move controllers right now if it did need it.
Someone who knows please help us on this issue on dance 2014
Message 7 of 11 (12,399 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Nov 8, 2013

Has anyone found out about this yet?

Message 8 of 11 (11,517 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 12, 2013
On the game box it says compatible. It doesn't say required
Message 9 of 11 (11,127 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 13, 2013

My wife suckered me into this with one of the many B2G1 deals and it came today.

Direct quote from the manual:

Using the Playstation Eye Camera:  Dance freely without any controllers.

So... there you go!  Enjoy!  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11 (10,925 Views)