Nov 21 2012
By: yapyap898 Lombax Warrior 161 posts

Jet Set Radio HD... Meh

12 replies 445 views Edited Nov 21, 2012

Even though its a remaster of the nastolgic title Jet Set Radio, its not exactly worth going back too. Atlest not for me.

It wasn't until Jet Set Radio Future was introduced and made the mechanics less frustrating and more fun. I mean, not only were the visuals easier to look at, but its art style was more refined. The story was clearly shown, and just skating around in multiplayer and single player collecting graffiti souls made all the more play time.

And the Soundtrack... oh the soundtrack... I have the entire discography!

Hopefully Sega can release a proper Remake or Re-Release of a more less frustrating title.

What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 13 (445 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Re: Jet Set Radio HD... Meh

[ Edited ]
Nov 21, 2012

yapyap898 wrote:

Even though its a remaster of the nastolgic title Jet Set Radio, its not exactly worth going back too. Atlest not for me.

It wasn't until Jet Set Radio Future was introduced and made the mechanics less frustrating and more fun. I mean, not only were the visuals easier to look at, but its art style was more refined. The story was clearly shown, and just skating around in multiplayer and single player collecting graffiti souls made all the more play time.

Hopefully Sega can release a proper Remake or Re-Release of a more less frustrating title.

What are your thoughts?

I will get it sometime soon but I also don't expect it to be anything different as they made it a point it's exactly the same as the Dreamcast for the most part. I loved both very much and personally enjoyed the first much more and just enjoyed the multi-player in future more but that is besides the point.

I can't imagine I will be disappointed as I know exactly what I will be paying for which is Jet Set Radio, exactly the same as the Dreamcast's for the Vita with trophies.

I mean unless they added stuff but I wasn't aware or ever had read anything of the sort. I was actually very good on the Dreamcast though anyway as well so I can't say I will be any more frustrated as you seem to find the first frustrating which to me wasn't at all.

Edit: Would be awesome to see a completely new Jet Set Radio on the Vita or even Jet Set Radio Future also for sure.

Message 2 of 13 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Nov 21, 2012

got about 7 minutes on this download to go, very anxious to play it again, will come back in a bit with my thoughts on it.........

Message 3 of 13 (434 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Worth every penny to me(played the hell out of it for years back in the DC days). I already had this on my Xbox360 but now i can have it on the go too! Then again, i've never played JSFR so i don't know what sort of improvements were made. Nonetheless, i don't think JSR needed any improvements to begin with so...

Message 4 of 13 (427 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Nov 21, 2012

sunK1D wrote:

Worth every penny to me(played the hell out of it for years back in the DC days). I already had this on my Xbox360 but now i can have it on the go too! Then again, i've never played JSFR so i don't know what sort of improvements were made. Nonetheless, i don't think JSR needed any improvements to begin with so...

Exactly how I feel, I thought the game was amazing then and I still think it is amazing now. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Yep, i now concur, this game is just as bit as great as back in its day, very happy with this so far Smiley Happy Glad the wait is finally over and it was worth it!

Message 6 of 13 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Nov 21, 2012

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think JSR is a great title, But the actual skating mechanics were a tad bit slow and slowed the game down somewhat. JSRF had it so the skating would stay fast and easy to work with without being frustrating, for instance no bumping into things and theres no need to hold down the Sprint button do get a decent speed to grind.

The story and charecters in JSR are not getting in the way of anything, and certainly not the music. But its just not as fast paced and free flowing as its Sequal.

One things that drove the stake into my heart is that JSR has time limits to do missions and not goof around...

I don't know, maybe missing JSRF is clouding my judgement on Jet Set Radio a bit...

Message 7 of 13 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Nov 21, 2012

I'll admit, time limits are my 1 annoyance in any game, i like to be able to take my time and explore and play the game how i want and at my own pace. Also i was kind hoping there would be more trophies in this release. Still happy and going to enjoy this.

Message 8 of 13 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1670 posts

Nov 21, 2012

yapyap898 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

i completely disagree with you.

Message 9 of 13 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 21, 2012

i love it (infact i think its the best version of the hd remakes)

i knew what i was getting into having played the original to death so i cant really be disappointed. my only major nitpicks are mapping the camera center button to the tag button...

when in chase mission it causes the camera to constantly be reset making the viewpoint impossible ot manage. the right stick camera control is also a pretty worthless addition as it doesnt allow you to move the character left or right when using it, but this is easily remidied by just not usuing it and playing the game like it was originally created.

for me, the fun of the game comes from being forced to master jumps and finding the proper approaches and the tagging system minigames that add tension to having cops run down on you as you attempt to get them off in time. this is something jets set radio future lost.

its nice to see a vita game run in native resolution as well!

Message 10 of 13 (318 Views)
0 Likes