Oct 26 2012
By: thepunisher-1970 Splicer 58 posts

It's not you it's me... A bit of a rant

3 replies 120 views Edited Oct 26, 2012

I am apologizing in advance for the wall of text. It has just been on my mind. Or what is left of it. Smiley Happy

I am trying to figure out what the happened to the gaming industry this fall. Every year like clockwork a lot of big name titles are talked about, hyped, pre-ordered then enjoyed. That just the way things happen for the most part. But this year seems to be a little different, at least to me. Let me explain.

It all started with Dishonored. I read about in the months before its release. I listened to the hype and started to get excited for it. I heard nothing but great things. Play anyway you like, unique graphics, steampunk. All those plus the number of articles being written had me hooked. I had every plan on pre-ordering it and enjoying it day 1, but such is life and I never did order it. For some reason I decided to give it a rent first. And I am really glad for that rental. For the most part the game was what was promised. But the more I tried to get into it, the more I had a slow sinking feeling that I have seen and done these things before. I know a lot of games use the best ideas from other games and rework it into their own vision. But there I sat, controller in hand and thought, " This game has won 30+ awards and is being touted as GOTY and I am bored."

This is just my opinion but it really disappointed me. I wanted to get lost in this new   and amazing world and for the first time in a long time it just did not happen. I have been playing games since I had the 2600 as a child. And I enjoy a broad range of games. For this to happen has me worried. I know there are a multitude of people out there right now, enjoying this game, and I am happy that they are. Games are meant to be fun and enjoyed. I myself really had no fun or enjoyment with this product. I am truly sorry Dishonored but " It's not you it's me."

I just want to give a quick word on the mess that is Medal of Honor:Warfighter. Again I almost bought this piece of garbage but after  what happened with Dishonored I decided to play it safe. Wow. Never in my life have I gotten angry just playing a game. But this game  gets my blood boiling. Everything about this game is lacking. The missions had no feeling, not that I need a great story just one that was a little coherent would be nice.

The graphics. Man-o-man one second I like what I see the next I notice the water in certain levels look like floating jelly. Then I notice that most shadows look all jagged and had lines like there was something wrong with my display.  Lighting and shadows would showup in cutscenes but not during gameplay most of the time. And yes I did install the 200mb day 1 patch before playing.  MP is OK but nothing too exciting. It just made me want to jump online with BF3, which I think is a much better MP experience.

But after all that I decided I would hang in there, because maybe it would get better. Then while playing the level where you have to drive the boats with the rescued hostages the **bleep** game glitches. One second I am racing to be extracted by the helicopters. The next I teleport with no warning to the gunner seat and there I sat for the next 2 min. Unable to move or fire the weapon. Which I though maybe was why I was in the helicopter. I looked at the hills in the distance, half drawn. The water pretty much looked like it belonged on minecraft. Roads and bridges were half drawn and rendered. I watched for 2 mins while the boat I was driving drove the river then drove off in the distance. The whole time I sat stuck unable to move in the gunnerseat. Then the helicopter I was in decided to stop and hover 200 Ft in the air for another 2-3mins till I reset the level. I did get past that point and a few more levels in but I can't do it anymore. I will not torture myself anymore. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the 2010 medal of honor, but I just can't play this one anymore. I will not say sorry to you MoHW. " This time it is not me, it is all you."

Message 1 of 4 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Re: It's not you it's me... A bit of a rant

Oct 26, 2012

I kind of felt the same way about Skyrim. It is a very good game, but after probably 4-5 weeks into it, I traded it back in. It was most likely just me, but I got bored pretty fast with it. Same thing with BF3.

Message 2 of 4 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15543 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2012

OK, here's a reasonable answer:

First the delay a Bioshock infinite pushed the delays of other games.Because if THAT game can be delayed, so could any other game. Second, every publisher want's to avoid the heavy weights of Call of duty Black op's 2, Halo 4 and, Assassin's creed 3. Because releasing alongside them within the same month or week is financial suicide. Finallly, delays are inevitable. Any longtime consumer of the industry should know this by now. Yes, the delays meant that this is a slightly weaker release year than 2011 was. But, it happens. All we can do is adjust and buy what interests us this year and worry about next year....next year. 

The good news is that there's still enough good games that have come out and are coming that should keep us entertained.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 3 of 4 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Last Guardian
11733 posts

Oct 27, 2012

2012 does feel majorly smaller in size compared to previous years. The array of games that were expected for this year have most of which been pushed back. Whether you were ecstatic for the new Tomb Raider or thought you'd be able to explore the fantastic world inspired by Ni no Kuni, the grass started turning brown again when delays or dates were finally set for later than we thought.

Still, there might be some games to get your hopes up for. Returning a decade later, the Ratchet and Clank HD collection brings back the original three games. Especially if you've not been through the series before or are excited about venturing through the series once more, then the games will have you blasting and upgrading your distinctive arsenal for several hours. The Unfinished Swan is another game that may get your attention. This downloadable title has recently hit the PlayStation Store, offering a whitened world where it's up to players to paint it black to find and discover obscured objects all around you.

Message 4 of 4 (52 Views)
0 Likes