Reply
Sep 30 2012
By: IRON-MARINE Lombax Warrior 170 posts
Offline

It's Amazing How Many People Still Miss SOCOM

[ Edited ]
54 replies 1336 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

I missed the ps2 versions of Socom, and every time I play an online shooter, whether it be C.O.D., BF3, or ghost recon, I find someone talking about socom. Still until this day, I believe that Socom had more dedicated fans than any other game out there. Back in those days I could hop in any room, in any lobby, start playing with complete strangers, and still have full blown communication with each other like we were friends forever. Any other online shooter, the communication is worthless.

 

 

Edit: Added label & updated subject title. Please click here to learn more about labels. -Super_Nova2k13

 

 

Message 1 of 55 (1,336 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/03/2009
Offline
4253 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Sep 30, 2012

IRON-MARINE wrote:

I missed the ps2 versions of Socom, and every time I play an online shooter, whether it be C.O.D., BF3, or ghost recon, I find someone talking about socom. Still until this day, I believe that Socom had more dedicated fans than any other game out there. Back in those days I could hop in any room, in any lobby, start playing with complete strangers, and still have full blown communication with each other like we were friends forever. Any other online shooter, the communication is worthless.


Pretty starnge in CS and GRFS no has a mic I only play the game right when my clan is on. It is good they are playing no respawn but I always ask myself why they even bother. Call outs and teamwork is why I play online.

 

Maybe they are younger players that stated with cod and never played any socom. They just have the lone wolf mindset I guess.

___________________________________________________________
I backed H-Hour ! Why because I would rather play a game then run my mouth on a forum.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1687497632/h-hour-worlds-elite-0






Message 2 of 55 (1,322 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 05/03/2012
Offline
469 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Sep 30, 2012

IRON-MARINE wrote:

I missed the ps2 versions of Socom, and every time I play an online shooter, whether it be C.O.D., BF3, or ghost recon, I find someone talking about socom. Still until this day, I believe that Socom had more dedicated fans than any other game out there. Back in those days I could hop in any room, in any lobby, start playing with complete strangers, and still have full blown communication with each other like we were friends forever. Any other online shooter, the communication is worthless.


Iron I believe that the reason for success with the earlier socoms is because they offered more of a complete gaming experience that even by today's standards can't match. As they say a picture is a thousand words, I say look at a 10 year old game and even though the servers have gone silent people were on daily playing those games. Sony needs to ask why would people still game on a so-called dated game and console over a ps3?

 

Yep that is something Sony needs to figure out quickly!!! Even though most here already know that answer.

Message 3 of 55 (1,319 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/03/2009
Offline
4253 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Sep 30, 2012

They need to make a socom that appeases  the old school  players but a co op story that the masses will like or just do another MP only psn game.

___________________________________________________________
I backed H-Hour ! Why because I would rather play a game then run my mouth on a forum.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1687497632/h-hour-worlds-elite-0






Message 4 of 55 (1,305 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 09/30/2012
Offline
42 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Sep 30, 2012
We need a socom that has all the classic features and none of the useless features that have been added to "socom". Not to say it can't advance but nothing that negatively impacts the game (ie side switching, run button, no ucrr, etc).

It needs to first appeal to the real socom fans then after that has been established they can add something like a coop campaign or something for the newer audience.
Message 5 of 55 (1,292 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 05/11/2010
Offline
1590 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Sep 30, 2012
I miss it. Sunday September 30, 2012 6:10pm I tried logging into Socom CA. Heard that the ps2 Socoms are no more and it seems like it (for me). Couldn't log on. Came to forums to see what was up. (DEPRESSED)
Message 6 of 55 (1,284 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 02/19/2003
Offline
14053 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Oct 1, 2012

Execrate wrote:

They need to make a socom that appeases  the old school  players but a co op story that the masses will like or just do another MP only psn game.


Umm no, actually they need to make a classic style campaign as well. Maybe you missed it but they tried to do what you stated with Socom 4 and it flopped miserably. There is no competition for a tactical stealth based single player with voice commands and Socom had a pretty large SP following to. Socom fans don't play Socom SP or MP for a run of the mill style shooter like every other one on the market. It's a different market then COD. Socom fans don't want COD and so a COD like SP will flop like we just saw with S4. Just like if you made COD campaign like the classic Socom system it would flop, different fanbase, that's not what that particular fanbase is looking for and it would be met with hatred, complaints and bad sales.

 

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 7 of 55 (1,252 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 10/19/2010
Offline
2200 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Oct 1, 2012

GRIM__REAFER wrote:
I miss it. Sunday September 30, 2012 6:10pm I tried logging into Socom CA. Heard that the ps2 Socoms are no more and it seems like it (for me). Couldn't log on. Came to forums to see what was up. (DEPRESSED)

http://therealsocom.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3571

Message 8 of 55 (1,225 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 03/11/2004
Offline
10887 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

Oct 2, 2012

Socom 2 with HD graphics and some minor tweaks would be perfect.

SNL BraskyPhotobucket
Message 9 of 55 (1,164 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
6510 posts
 

Re: It's amazing how many people still miss Socom.

[ Edited ]
Oct 2, 2012

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

Execrate wrote:

They need to make a socom that appeases  the old school  players but a co op story that the masses will like or just do another MP only psn game.


Umm no, actually they need to make a classic style campaign as well. Maybe you missed it but they tried to do what you stated with Socom 4 and it flopped miserably. There is no competition for a tactical stealth based single player with voice commands and Socom had a pretty large SP following to. Socom fans don't play Socom SP or MP for a run of the mill style shooter like every other one on the market. It's a different market then COD. Socom fans don't want COD and so a COD like SP will flop like we just saw with S4. Just like if you made COD campaign like the classic Socom system it would flop, different fanbase, that's not what that particular fanbase is looking for and it would be met with hatred, complaints and bad sales.

 


 Yes i agree tombstome but what im understand the mp can' t be  reversed enginerred. Maybe  to dated in the coding they also  different  engines than the next games.I dont know for sure.. I think this the stump ran  zipper an into, and it would  very costly to do  i,t more than a average psn  game would cost  which lead to say a maybe a socom legacy mp only psn game( a full redo/recreate of all the maps and etc)..  But as far as i know the sp can be done, but the mp is not  as easy becuase of the diffrent coding from game to game.. they  would have to make  it a seperate disk and/or redo the whole  thing  from scratch. Which is a cost a  real game,  ) im not 100% sure of that either,  but i  think redo  of a psn  socom game  wont cost   more than anvg psn game  maybe slightly more maybe 500-  800K$ . I could be wrong there to because   the server comes from the devs with remakes. Alot of my peers dis agree. This is  black  hole thoery on how to  get online ps2 games re made to  ps3.


  The socom  sp  and mp  coding is  very different from game to games. This is where the problem  lye. diffrent engines and diffrent coding per  installment.  A mp socom  will have come down as redo mp only seperate disk and sp   as a pure  hd  remake spereate disk( with blu ray  i d ont know that will work  or if can be one disk).   That is best  way to  get a mp  from ps2 to ps3 from psn.. That  might not  be 100% corect becuase its alot theories going around on how to do it and differs from ps2 game to  ps2 game.

 

 All in all in a sony directly made game is cost effective and  will make  this game possible.. i dont  see any  new time devs or psn  devs  having  that kind of  money, unless sony picks up the tab on everything with it and  split the profits with the devs. Its going have to come from  a  AAA dev. (  Again this a thoery not  a 100% fact)

 

Maybe santa monica,sony bend  Studios.   Those are the 2 studio  who  reverse engineers a game alot. i  think isomanic  studios those dev of they studios..

 

But overall  it can  be done, but  it has to cost effective if  going to come  from psn. if not it going to cost alot of dough. A much easier  route would be a  socom confrontation  hd remake. " i hate  tomake you gringe tombstone" But thats   the  best options..  They could make new maps as well on that  once they  hd it as well as get rid of  few  a problems like the  tilly.. Which I  is think a  bonus. 

 

 The  bad about that is .  you'll have to buy it over.. and it will  cost maybe $15- 35  range. this not  the  best  option but its a realistic one that happan  asap as little  as 3-5 months if not 7.. the other  ways are alot   of work and can be done, but will  take alot of months& years to do and they need a  dev with the bucks. I  hoping sony picks all the  tabs either way..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 10 of 55 (1,139 Views)
Reply
0 Likes