Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 07 2013
By: Madducky Lombax Warrior 187 posts

It has been a year since the PS VITA launch, what are your impressions so far?

13 replies 422 views Edited Apr 7, 2013

When the NGP was first announced with no UMD drive, I was a bit miffed! I had invested hundreds, in a healthy PSP game and video library. I wanted the UMD passport system, or at least an external UMD drive for my Mac to use to install games and confirm DRM when needed.

Now 1 year later?  I would LOVE to have an external UMD solution, but the PSN store has added quite a few games, and once I get over the shame of buying the same game twice, it's been great! But I still pine for the fjords, so to say.....

Battery life and SONY's choice for connector on the bottom of the PS VITA, voltage requirements, peg on the USB cable so you can't use any other cord in it other than the OFFICIAL one... That kind of grinds my gears to have to have a separate USB charger for my iPad, and PS VITA. I just bit the bullet and have a cradle to USB to my Mac, and a separate power adapter in the bedroom.

And my final point, memory!!! There should have been some on board memory like the PSPgo. The 4GB memory card should not exist at all, and they should be up to 128GB. It is a closed system, SONY could use a Linux format instead of FAT or NTFS. The sky is the limit!! 

I had bought  some ATRAC music tracks that could no longer be synced over as there is no Sonicstage that sees the PS VITA. SO I had to burn them to an ISO and then rip them as .MP3 files! A hassle that only DRM proponents would love!!!

So that's it.

I love my PS VITA and look forward to many years of gaming with it.

Just my 2 cents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Banned for getting my account hacked!
. . . . . . .
Banned for asking why in the forums!
Message 1 of 14 (422 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11236 posts

Re: It has been a year since the PS VITA launch, what are your impressions so far?

Apr 7, 2013
I love my Vita. That 3 or 4ish month long game drought was tough, but now I've got enough games to last me 5 of those. I was able to get my 32GB card for cheap from a friend at Best Buy, so no complaints there.

Regardless, I think Sony is going to have to pull out all the stops come E3, including a price drop.

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 2 of 14 (414 Views)
Survivor
2488 posts

Re: It has been a year since the PS VITA launch, what are your impressions so far?

Apr 7, 2013
I love my PSV, but I can afford a PSV. And that's a problem. It's a system not easily affordable by a lot people, Sony is insane to think that the rest of the World doesn't need a price cut. Software too plays a huge role but to be honest, at this point the true problem is that the price is just too high~.

I could afford it on day one, I can afford to repurchase my PSP games. But I totally understand why people refuse to humor Sony and buy a PSV when the path is paved by so many moneysinks. Right now, the PSV's worst enemy is Sony themselves: terrible pricing and terrible marketting~.

Hopefully, E3 will at least bring some new games for the system overseas. If I see a rerun of last E3 where the system was reduced to an after thought I may have to reconsider how long I keep mine~.
Message 3 of 14 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Apr 7, 2013

Madducky wrote:

When the NGP was first announced with no UMD drive, I was a bit miffed! I had invested hundreds, in a healthy PSP game and video library. I wanted the UMD passport system, or at least an external UMD drive for my Mac to use to install games and confirm DRM when needed.

Now 1 year later?  I would LOVE to have an external UMD solution, but the PSN store has added quite a few games, and once I get over the shame of buying the same game twice, it's been great! But I still pine for the fjords, so to say.....

Battery life and SONY's choice for connector on the bottom of the PS VITA, voltage requirements, peg on the USB cable so you can't use any other cord in it other than the OFFICIAL one... That kind of grinds my gears to have to have a separate USB charger for my iPad, and PS VITA. I just bit the bullet and have a cradle to USB to my Mac, and a separate power adapter in the bedroom.

And my final point, memory!!! There should have been some on board memory like the PSPgo. The 4GB memory card should not exist at all, and they should be up to 128GB. It is a closed system, SONY could use a Linux format instead of FAT or NTFS. The sky is the limit!! 

I had bought  some ATRAC music tracks that could no longer be synced over as there is no Sonicstage that sees the PS VITA. SO I had to burn them to an ISO and then rip them as .MP3 files! A hassle that only DRM proponents would love!!!

So that's it.

I love my PS VITA and look forward to many years of gaming with it.

Just my 2 cents.

I never owned a PSP (though my brother did/does), so the lack of UMD-support never bothered me. Ever since Steam launched, I've gotten so accustomed to buying digital, that I have no qualms in buying from PSN. An external UMD drive or the Passport program coming to NA would be cool, but not a big deal for me.

Don't really get your frustration with Sony using a proprietary connection while also mentioning your iPad - Apple uses proprietary connections too (even changing it up on iPhone 5 without providing a free adapter). I don't know, maybe I've just been around tecnology for so long that I would never expect to share power connections amongst disparate devices. I have a Dell laptop - its charger cannot be used for an HP laptop. Is that wrong of companies to not use some sort of standard? I dunno, I guess you can blame the IEEE or IEC, or whatever other standards board you want.

Agreed that it would be nice to have some built-in memory of 4GB or more. Don't really care if we get a card higher than 32GB, as I think 16GB and 32GB are both perfectly fine for normal situations. I do, as with everyone, think prices should be dropped and/or Sony allow other manufacturers, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as some people make it simply because you really don't need anymore than one 16/32 card.

Don't use my Vita for music, nor ever intend to, so no comment.

Message 4 of 14 (392 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Apr 7, 2013

xClayMeow look on the USB connector of the cable and you will see a tongue that means that while it may seem to fit the USB standard, it will only function with the SONY PS VITA AC adapter, and the AC adapter has it's USB port seated into the shell with the matching groove  on it to prevent any other use. Which I think defeats the purpose of standard USB connectors!!

Oh and for the other end of the connector, the PSPgo cable *should* have worked All that that cable does now is data, and power, whereas the PSPgo could also handle external video from its propitiatory dock connector.

And Apple used that same said dock connector since iPod 3rd generation starting in 2003! That's a 9 year run. The PSPgo's proprietary dock connector was introduced in 2009.

I just see a million things right with the PSVITA, and the failings, at least to me, seem academic and easy to fix!

. . . . . . .
Message 5 of 14 (369 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3638 posts

Apr 8, 2013

I love my Vita! Being able to play games like Uncharted, LBP, Assassins Creed, etc anywhere is awesome! I just wish they would drop the price on the system and the memory cards so more people would buy this amazing device.

Message 6 of 14 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
347 posts

Apr 8, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
I love my PSV, but I can afford a PSV. And that's a problem. It's a system not easily affordable by a lot people, Sony is insane to think that the rest of the World doesn't need a price cut. Software too plays a huge role but to be honest, at this point the true problem is that the price is just too high~.

I could afford it on day one, I can afford to repurchase my PSP games. But I totally understand why people refuse to humor Sony and buy a PSV when the path is paved by so many moneysinks. Right now, the PSV's worst enemy is Sony themselves: terrible pricing and terrible marketting~.

Hopefully, E3 will at least bring some new games for the system overseas. If I see a rerun of last E3 where the system was reduced to an after thought I may have to reconsider how long I keep mine~.

agree here, right now the PSV is my main gaming system , I had alot of game systems before and TBH I didn't enjoy them as much as I enjoyed my PSV  but I feel bad for the PSV and the poor treatment it gets from sony, and now I have been waiting for SS for really long time . will wait until E3 if nothing change then I guess I'm done with sony. and yes I'm really angry now, and the reason is when I bought my ps vita long time ago I knew lots of people who had it and the people at my work most of them had a PSV and even at my house when I used to check near I saw ALOT of people around my house had PSV but now in this day everyone at my work switched from the PSV to other systems and the people I used to see on near I don't see them anymore only 1-2 while the friends I used to play online with them on PSV they don't have it anymore and when I asked some of them the reason (although I know why) some said they don't want to play ports while others said instade of buying overpriced memory card they sold their vitas to get other systems that don't need expensive mem cards while some friends said they wanted to invest in a system that get more and real exclusive games and have a better gaming future , and TBH here seeing alot of my online friends switching from their PSV to other systems is really sad. I hope E3 have somthing good for us otherwise I will do the same thing that my friends did.

Message 7 of 14 (310 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3432 posts

Apr 8, 2013

I love my PS Vita. I knew at the very beginning, the unveiling of the NGP, that I'd be OK with it, but it would hurt some if all the UMD's we had were relegated to only PSP use.

We are way past all of that now. I have collected as many UMD movies as I could, one's I like, since before the PS Vita came out, when PSP UMD prices were already falling, yes, secondary market too. I don't have a ton of movies, but a nice little selection, and I can use my PSP hooked up to my TV to watch any of them, but someday that won't work anymore when the UMD drive stops working.

I have, longer than PS Vita/NGP times, wanted an external UMD drive, something I could hook up to a tv or computer, portable, but NOT the PSP. Something a bit sturdier, that only plays UMD discs.

It's just something I'd like to have. Quirky little movie collection. Just like my quirky little cassette tape collection. A segment of time preserved. I can find all sorts of solutions for my cassette tapes. Nothing for UMD since it's Sony's and they've done nothing with it, that I know of.

Everything is going digital, but isn't quite there yet. I have the PS Vita, HTC Evo lte, HP Ultrabook. All have non-removeable batteries. All can input little cards, The phone can hook up to external monitors for viewing. The Ultrabook doesn't have an optical disc drive. I can hook up to external monitors, connect usb drives, etc. though.

As digital goes, my PS Vita is the one that is most locked up. Less options, but really, I don't mind it since I want to mostly play games on it.

I use mostly Blu-ray discs and DVD for movies. Netflix and some VUDU lately (ultraviolet forced me to consider it, and be happy, since I can now use Digital Copy for alot of my bluray buys --on my Android devices. That's a good thing, finally!)

I can use my PS Vita with Netflix. I did last year, one long session. It's a gaming machine and social apps are decent on it (well, I on my PSV I only use Twitter and like it there. Flickr I'd use, but it still errors when signed-in (as it always has on the PS Vita for me, so is useless for why I would want it.)

Overall I'm happy with the PS Vita, and hope that in the coming months we see some changes to cables available or something, which is a possibility. All things are possible. Just most things won't happen, and we all have no control over what WILL happen. :smileyhappy:

Message 8 of 14 (282 Views)
MVP Support
12195 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Madducky wrote:

xClayMeow look on the USB connector of the cable and you will see a tongue that means that while it may seem to fit the USB standard, it will only function with the SONY PS VITA AC adapter, and the AC adapter has it's USB port seated into the shell with the matching groove  on it to prevent any other use. Which I think defeats the purpose of standard USB connectors!!

Oh and for the other end of the connector, the PSPgo cable *should* have worked All that that cable does now is data, and power, whereas the PSPgo could also handle external video from its propitiatory dock connector.

And Apple used that same said dock connector since iPod 3rd generation starting in 2003! That's a 9 year run. The PSPgo's proprietary dock connector was introduced in 2009.

I just see a million things right with the PSVITA, and the failings, at least to me, seem academic and easy to fix!

I don't get what you mean. The USB doesn't just work in the AC adapter, since as you know, it connects to PCs, which means it is USB standard. And connecting it to some other form of charger would probably be dangerous anyway

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 14 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Apr 8, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Madducky wrote:

I don't get what you mean. The USB doesn't just work in the AC adapter, since as you know, it connects to PCs, which means it is USB standard. And connecting it to some other form of charger would probably be dangerous anyway

Take out your USB cord compre the USB side to any other USB cable you have. See the difference?

. . . . . . .
Message 10 of 14 (252 Views)
0 Likes