Jul 26 2012
By: Nightphall First Son 20 posts

It finally happened to me! (YLOD)

9 replies 291 views Edited Jul 26, 2012

Not sure if there was a sticky thread about this, but I hadn't heard about it for a while.....

.....until I was watching Netflix one day. My show froze, and the screen went black. Tried to reset the PS3, and the yellow light appears. 

Luckily I made a backup, and got a Slim the next day. I had to reflow the old PS3 so that I could transfer my data from the old to the new.

I wish I could just back up my old PS3's HDD onto the Slim........what was the reason Sony made it that way again?

Get your Portable ID!

PS1 - PS2 - PSP - PS3 - DSi XL - 3DS XL - Wii - PC
Message 1 of 10 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Re: It finally happened to me! (YLOD)

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2012

If you were able to do a data transfer why would you need the back up from your old PS3?  The backup is encrpted and only works on the PS3 that made the backup.  There are two senarios that a backup would be handy, the HDD crashes and you have a backup, and you are upgrading the HDD.  Peform the backup, replace the HDD, restore back to the new HDD.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 2 of 10 (275 Views)
First Son
20 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2012

Well, it's kind of a complex thing, but I'll try to make it simple.

New PS3 is only the 160GB model.

Old PS3 has a larger drive in it (250). The amount of data on it is much larger than the new Slim can hold. I thought about putting the smaller drive into the old PS3.....but that would not work, as the 160 hdd is too small for the backup I have from the old PS3.

What I had to do was delete a few things, so that the data needed to be transferred would fit onto the new PS3. Again, can't use the backup on the smaller drive, which is why I did this.

Once the data transfer completed, I backed up the slim on an external HDD. After THAT is done, I can put the old larger HDD in the Slim, and restore the backup on there.

I really tried to convince the wife to let me get the 320GB model, but she would not have it.

Now I can see people asking "well why didn't you just uninstall your PS3 games and redownload them?"

Here's the thing......this is YEARS worth of downloads.....and most of them were done when we were living in a large urban area with powerful internet.

Downloads in the rural area we live in now (due to the wife getting a job here).......you really don't want to know how long it takes me to download some full games. The internet in this area......really blows.

Get your Portable ID!

Message 3 of 10 (240 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29406 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2012

Nightphall wrote:

Not sure if there was a sticky thread about this, but I hadn't heard about it for a while.....

.....until I was watching Netflix one day. My show froze, and the screen went black. Tried to reset the PS3, and the yellow light appears. 

Luckily I made a backup, and got a Slim the next day. I had to reflow the old PS3 so that I could transfer my data from the old to the new.

I wish I could just back up my old PS3's HDD onto the Slim........what was the reason Sony made it that way again?

So you couldn't copy data and swap hard drives with everyone willy-nilly, and share all your data. 

As for capacity, you can always upgrade the hard drive down the line. I'm in a similar situation where the internet access in my area absolutely sucks, even with a major Ivy League university in the area. U-Verse is only marginally better than what I have now, no Verizon FIOS, and ComCast keeps raising their rates. 

Message 4 of 10 (235 Views)
Splicer
46 posts

Jul 27, 2012

That sucks I remember when I got the YLOD, but that was my first ps3 and I did not treat it right :/

Message 5 of 10 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Jul 29, 2012

ThePunisher wrote:

If you were able to do a data transfer why would you need the back up from your old PS3?  The backup is encrpted and only works on the PS3 that made the backup.  There are two senarios that a backup would be handy, the HDD crashes and you have a backup, and you are upgrading the HDD.  Peform the backup, replace the HDD, restore back to the new HDD.

I have to correct a statement; the backup can be used on any PS3... not just the PS3 that made the backup.  It's the internal drive that's encrypted for only that PS3, if you put a internal drive of a PS3 into another PS3 it will format the drive.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 6 of 10 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jul 29, 2012

Dony buy anything for a few days and then go and get yourself a 500Gb or a 1Tb hdd for less than $100.

Why would you need to run something like this by your wife? Do you have a joint account?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 10 (147 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jul 30, 2012
gR3yGh051 wrote:

Dony buy anything for a few days and then go and get yourself a 500Gb or a 1Tb hdd for less than $100.

Why would you need to run something like this by your wife? Do you have a joint account?

Yeah.

Most guys have to get the okay from their wives, don't they? Smiley LOL

Get your Portable ID!

Message 8 of 10 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Nightphall wrote:
gR3yGh051 wrote:

Yeah.

Most guys are suckers.......

Never been married, have been in a few long relationships, seen many of my friends turn into slaves to their wives.... I like not being tied down.

Not to puff up my chest here but I am a bit of a ladies man, pretty much exactly like Ryan Gossling's character in the movie "Crazy, Stupid, Love" with Steve Carrell

I love my job, or lack thereof depending on how you look at things, I like toys of all kinds (yes, even those Smiley Tongue) and for a woman to try and take me away from that and even attempt to change me into her definition of "the perfect man" results in getting the boot; surrender the key, change the code to my gate and look for the cardboard box with your stuff in it on the sidewalk by the gate.
The best part is they keep coming back because they know they cant find someone as easy as me.

Ya, a bit off-topic, whoops

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Aug 1, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Nightphall wrote:
gR3yGh051 wrote:

Yeah.

Most guys are suckers.......

Never been married, have been in a few long relationships, seen many of my friends turn into slaves to their wives.... I like not being tied down.

Not to puff up my chest here but I am a bit of a ladies man, pretty much exactly like Ryan Gossling's character in the movie "Crazy, Stupid, Love" with Steve Carrell

I love my job, or lack thereof depending on how you look at things, I like toys of all kinds (yes, even those Smiley Tongue) and for a woman to try and take me away from that and even attempt to change me into her definition of "the perfect man" results in getting the boot; surrender the key, change the code to my gate and look for the cardboard box with your stuff in it on the sidewalk by the gate.
The best part is they keep coming back because they know they cant find someone as easy as me.

Ya, a bit off-topic, whoops

It's okay....LOL

I took your advice though, and ordered a 500GB drive. At least I won't need another for a while....unless PS1 and PS2 games that I missed out on (mainly due to not being able to find them, and Amazon wasn't around yet) keep getting released on the PSN.

Get your Portable ID!

Message 10 of 10 (72 Views)
0 Likes