May 17 2012
By: neversawthestars First Son 11 posts

It Only Does Everything....

4 replies 66 views Edited May 17, 2012

Let me just start off by saying that Playstation had always been in the background of my life. A sort of silent partner that catered both to my every gaming whimsy but also as my main video player over the years. Never did I imagine it would launch me 1,500 miles away to Michigan and be the glue to a relationship for the next year and change. Let me explain. As a college kid attending a university in New Mexico with little money in my pocket and even less time to do much else; I visit a nearby campus Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit. There I meet a beautiful girl whom as an art major is visiting across many a state line to study Miss O'Keeffe over the summer.

We instantly connect and spend every day together, even to the point she moves in room with me to save a little money. Well as all good things end and the summer draws near she lets me know before leaving back home (to Michigan to finish out her last school year) that she wants our relationship to work. Me being a something of a realist knows that the odds of long distance relationships especially one in college is something of a long shot, yet she makes me want to try. Goodbyes said and several hours later I retreat back to my room feeling defeated and turn on my Playstation 3 to waterworks. There I find dozens of pictures she uploaded of us from the summer to my photos and even videos using the Eyecreate video editor and uploader app on my PS3 XMB. This strengthens my resolve and soon after I remember she herself owns a 60gb PS3, I quickly send her a friend request.

Over the course of that last school year our Playstation 3's were the glue that held us, even miles apart. Every night we video chatted over PSN and over the weekends we would find ways to spend time together. Being RPG fanatics yet lacking a way to play together we discovered we could still game together. Each of us owned a copy of Folklore and we would both begin a new game at the same time. Over the PSN text chat system we would share little secrets and gameplay tips and compare where each of us were in the game. Folklore was the very first game we beat together like this and holds a dear place in our hearts to this day. Later we would do the same with Valkyria Chronicles and the popular Playstation 2 exclusive Atelier Iris. We also used this same method to watch movies together over PSN needless to say many a date night movie was watched.

Later that year Playstation Home debuted and together Angela and I would spend time between classes trying to unlock every free shirt and prize from the minigames inside.  It always made me smile that after gaining some new furnishing for our Home apartments she would want to spend time decorating the space. We were that rare couple you seen walking around home together exploring everything and playing game after game of bowling in the arcade room. Xi came soon that spring and rocked our worlds with the amount of intricate puzzles and shadowy intrigue that surrounded it all. With much help from each other and lots of time put in we proudly became Xi alumni. Needless to say it was a welcome diversion to all the dancing we did in the main plaza!

We both graduated that year and I with nothing more than a diploma, the clothes off my back and a PS3 in hand took off 1,500 miles away to Michigan. We're still together and still enjoy our game nights albeit together in the same room for once with Little Big Planet and Singstar taking center stage most nights. Home has grown vastly in scope and in sheer amazement since the last few years Angela and I used to rampant the grounds together. We can't really play together at the same time anymore in Home but she still visits often and decorates my apartment with all the prizes she wins while im at work. Playstaion, it only did everything for our relationship and helped nurture our young love to something more. You brought out a wonderland of oppertunities for friendships, familys and even love to connect everyday. Thank you Sony and Thank you Playstation.

Long. Live. Play.      

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (66 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
1462 posts

Re: It Only Does Everything....

May 31, 2012

Great story. Sicne we recently had a story that was about finding a relationship through PlayStation, I'd like to see this story focus on more about staying connected over long distance with Angela with PlayStation. So if we were to consider this one, I'd want to do without the relationship set up and simply kick it off with the notion that you're in a long diatnce relationship: GO, type of mentality. So basically I would do without the first two paragrpahs and get into the meat of how PS experiences whether it's over a game, PS Home, or otherwise.

Thanks!

- morgan haro, SCEA PlayStation Community Management Team
@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (66 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

May 31, 2012

I love the two folklores demos in the store. I cant beat them though

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (66 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jun 30, 2012

"it only does everything..."

Besides play Ps2 games from disk, have a good browser, have a facebook and youtube app. Although i adore the playstation, it DONT do everything.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jul 16, 2012

very cool to find a special lady to play games with. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (39 Views)
0 Likes