Reply
Feb 13 2014
By: PaperCarrier Survivor 2641 posts
Offline

Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

[ Edited ]
9 replies 314 views Edited Feb 13, 2014

Now the a whole new batch of video game consoles had been released recently and with cloud streaming services, mobile gaming, different tech and game distribution methods and access  I can't help but wonder if this will actually be the last generation of video game consoles.  

 

I personally think that there will be another generation after this one but will be very different. to what we know today, for example a PlayStation 5 might just be an extremely powerful portable gaming device or phone and home gaming console at the same time which would come with home traditional gaming controller and wireless charging platform that wires to the TV where the portable unit would just sit on it and wirelessly communicate with or receive /send data signals from the charging platform as it charges and the platform sends signal to the TV so you could play on the bigger screen and with a traditional controller like you would do now.  

 

By then most games would probably be all digital download or streamed. 

 

Those are just my thoughts and predictions but tell me what you think will happen or should happen.  

 

 

Message 1 of 10 (314 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/15/2009
Offline
3063 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

As well as the new consoles are selling, no I don't think this is the last console generation. The consumer has shown that there is still a very strong demand for gaming consoles.

Message 2 of 10 (297 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13569 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

People made such a big deal about the "console war" between the PS4 and Xbox One. Plus, they both have been selling successfully. I don't think this is the last generation, but maybe the next two or three.

 

Plus, Sony and Micro$oft makes a lot of money off of this. 

Message 3 of 10 (291 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/30/2008
Offline
3334 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

Desktop PC's arent selling at all like they use to in the early 90s and 2000s, and are being replaced by laptops. And those laptops are being replaced by tablets. And those tabels will be replaced by something else, yet there are 80+ million desktop gamers on steam last I remember, and million more not on steam.

 

 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 10 (285 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/01/2012
Offline
1160 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

PaperCarrier wrote:

Now the a whole new batch of video game consoles had been released recently and with cloud streaming services, mobile gaming, different tech and game distribution methods and access  I can't help but wonder if this will actually be the last generation of video game consoles.  

 

I personally think that there will be another generation after this one but will be very different. to what we know today, for example a PlayStation 5 might just be an extremely powerful portable gaming device or phone and home gaming console at the same time which would come with home traditional gaming controller and wireless charging platform that wires to the TV where the portable unit would just sit on it and wirelessly communicate with or receive /send data signals from the charging platform as it charges and the platform sends signal to the TV so you could play on the bigger screen and with a traditional controller like you would do now.  

 

By then most games would probably be all digital download or streamed. 

 

Those are just my thoughts and predictions but tell me what you think will happen or should happen.  

 

 


No I dont think this will be the last generation. Console gaming will go on for a long time until it becomes a virtual reality box you install into your house.

 

I like the idea of a portable console that plugs into the dock/charger and streams to the TV like a normal console and a controller. Pretty sweet.



Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Message 5 of 10 (279 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
2641 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

I a so called 'video game console' becomes almost entirely mobile but is still very powerful, offers a robust gaming experience at home as well as on the go would it matter?  Would it be the end the you? Would we call it the 9th or 10th generation of video game consoles?  Consoles today have become much more than what they were before, they play movies, music, browse the web, watch TV etc.  Some of us even complain here because the PS4 doesn't have Youtube, MP3 support, DLNA and such..

Message 6 of 10 (275 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
2641 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2014

reynolds-wrap1 wrote:

PaperCarrier wrote:

Now the a whole new batch of video game consoles had been released recently and with cloud streaming services, mobile gaming, different tech and game distribution methods and access  I can't help but wonder if this will actually be the last generation of video game consoles.  

 

I personally think that there will be another generation after this one but will be very different. to what we know today, for example a PlayStation 5 might just be an extremely powerful portable gaming device or phone and home gaming console at the same time which would come with home traditional gaming controller and wireless charging platform that wires to the TV where the portable unit would just sit on it and wirelessly communicate with or receive /send data signals from the charging platform as it charges and the platform sends signal to the TV so you could play on the bigger screen and with a traditional controller like you would do now.  

 

By then most games would probably be all digital download or streamed. 

 

Those are just my thoughts and predictions but tell me what you think will happen or should happen.  

 

 


No I dont think this will be the last generation. Console gaming will go on for a long time until it becomes a virtual reality box you install into your house.

 

I like the idea of a portable console that plugs into the dock/charger and streams to the TV like a normal console and a controller. Pretty sweet.


It would be even better if you didn't have to 'plug' / 'unplug' stuff but instead just lay it there to charge and exchange data all wirelessely.

Message 7 of 10 (272 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/01/2012
Offline
1160 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

PaperCarrier wrote:

reynolds-wrap1 wrote:

PaperCarrier wrote:

Now the a whole new batch of video game consoles had been released recently and with cloud streaming services, mobile gaming, different tech and game distribution methods and access  I can't help but wonder if this will actually be the last generation of video game consoles.  

 

I personally think that there will be another generation after this one but will be very different. to what we know today, for example a PlayStation 5 might just be an extremely powerful portable gaming device or phone and home gaming console at the same time which would come with home traditional gaming controller and wireless charging platform that wires to the TV where the portable unit would just sit on it and wirelessly communicate with or receive /send data signals from the charging platform as it charges and the platform sends signal to the TV so you could play on the bigger screen and with a traditional controller like you would do now.  

 

By then most games would probably be all digital download or streamed. 

 

Those are just my thoughts and predictions but tell me what you think will happen or should happen.  

 

 


No I dont think this will be the last generation. Console gaming will go on for a long time until it becomes a virtual reality box you install into your house.

 

I like the idea of a portable console that plugs into the dock/charger and streams to the TV like a normal console and a controller. Pretty sweet.


It would be even better if you didn't have to 'plug' / 'unplug' stuff but instead just lay it there to charge and exchange data all wirelessely.


Great Scott!! A genius! An absolute genius!



Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Message 8 of 10 (263 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/05/2005
Online
4238 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

This same question seems to arise eveytime new consoles are released.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 10 (254 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
Registered: 02/13/2014
Offline
43 posts
 

Re: Is this the last console gaming generation and what changes can we expect next?

Feb 13, 2014

It will never end, as long as there is money to be made, and as long as ea can pump out sub par games weekly.


Get Your Portable ID!

ps(4) - xbox(1) = 3
Half life 3 confirmed?
Message 10 of 10 (230 Views)
Reply
0 Likes