Feb 23 2012
By: supafongboon First Son 13 posts

Is there any point to Remote Play?

23 replies 2884 views Edited Feb 23, 2012

So I bought the ps vita because I saw videos about people playing Battlefield 3 and other games on their vita with "remote play." I thought it would be awesome to play a ps3 game anywhere in the house even with the "over internet" option as well. But it turned out that the only way you can do that is with a hacked ps3.

Hopefully sony will wise up and just ALLOW us to be able to do that. This will promote their vita AND ps3 system together. In the future I don't want to spend 59.99 for a ps3 game and 39.99 for a vita game JUST to play the same game with cross play. As of now, I can literally play NOTHING with remote play, I can access my ... background. Awesome. Well thought out.

So far, not impressed with the vita at all. If you have a ipod touch, you have a vita.

For all the fanboys out there, please tell me how this is innovative. All it is are new games on a new system that really doesn't change anything. The interface is cool at first before you realize that it's just another ipod touch. The back touch screen doesn't allow us to do ANYTHING except during SELECT games that implement it. So far I've spent 299 on a very expensive netflix device. The games launched are also lacking in the rpg department. Not everyone likes Uncharted.

Message 1 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13533 posts

Re: Is there any point to Remote Play?

Feb 23, 2012

1. It just launched, did you expect 100 titles?

2. The reason it's "innovative" is that the power of the system rivals that of consoles, providing a "console like experience" in a "Portable system"

3. Yes, Remote Play would be nice, but that is not the actual purpose of the Vita itself anyways. You weren't meant to buy a Vita just so you could play PS3 games on the go. The point is to play Vita games.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Feb 23, 2012

At this point if anyone bought a Vita because of remote play, you wasted $250 because you couldn't continue to say it was going to be a failure in other forums.

Message 3 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Feb 23, 2012

it just launched and its really up to the developer to put their content to the vita over remote play... or download content but i really hope they update it to play ps3 games on the vita ... it can... i saw that the L2 L3 R2 R3 is actually the rear touch pad divided up to 4 spots its innovative because its dose have dual analouge sticks front and rear touch pads, sixaxis , bluetooth, wifi, and 3g (3g version only witch is really not worth it...),on a mobile device...

Message 4 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 23, 2012

supafongboon wrote:

So I bought the ps vita because I saw videos about people playing Battlefield 3 and other games on their vita with "remote play." I thought it would be awesome to play a ps3 game anywhere in the house even with the "over internet" option as well. But it turned out that the only way you can do that is with a hacked ps3.

Hopefully sony will wise up and just ALLOW us to be able to do that. This will promote their vita AND ps3 system together. In the future I don't want to spend 59.99 for a ps3 game and 39.99 for a vita game JUST to play the same game with cross play. As of now, I can literally play NOTHING with remote play, I can access my ... background. Awesome. Well thought out.

So far, not impressed with the vita at all. If you have a ipod touch, you have a vita.

For all the fanboys out there, please tell me how this is innovative. All it is are new games on a new system that really doesn't change anything. The interface is cool at first before you realize that it's just another ipod touch. The back touch screen doesn't allow us to do ANYTHING except during SELECT games that implement it. So far I've spent 299 on a very expensive netflix device. The games launched are also lacking in the rpg department. Not everyone likes Uncharted.

• The reason you cannot use Remote Play currently is because the Vita was just officially released today. We are relient on the companies who created the PS3 titles to update their games in order for them to be compatible with Remote Play. This is not a fault of Sony's. Not a fault of anyone. They cannot be expected to release an update this quickly.
  • To compare a Vita to an iPod Touch is like comparing water to wine. Sure, an iPod (here playing the role of water) does most things relatively well, but it is still bare, weak. Whereas the Vita (playing the role of wine) is much more robust. It is powerful and fully-featured, not some music player that can barely manage anything other than Angry Birds or Doodle Jump.
  • It's innovative for many reasons. For one, it's the first handheld console to have two analog sticks. It's the first handheld to contain a quad-core processor. It's the first handheld to do many things. It's not trying to be innovative through its interface, instead it's chosing to be innovative through changing the way games are played on the go.
  • And finally, you chose to purchase the Vita. You used your money, of your own accord. The Vita was not meant to strictly be an emulator for the PS3. And also, Uncharted is not the only game on the system.

Next time you try making a point, try making a little better, instead of coming off as an arrogant Apple fanboy.

Message 5 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3905 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Well said.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3460 posts

Feb 23, 2012

glaciusx25 wrote:

1. It just launched, did you expect 100 titles?

Remote Play is about 7 years old now. We should have had 100 titles by now.

Hackers managed to enable it in every PS3 game. If Sony wanted to, they could too.

Message 7 of 24 (2,884 Views)
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

Feb 23, 2012

The OP is right on all accounts.  Sony demo'ed the PS Vita @ TGS 2011 with it playing Killzone 3 via Remote Play so they could have had it at launch.  The fact that they didn't and don't have plans too is just another failure of the suits that run the company.  When consumer have to relay on hackers to give them the features they want, that should send up huge red flags that something is wrong in the company / consumer relations.  You can't even stream your purchased HD videos with remote play.

I hope they do a reality check soon and learn to listen to their consumer base because honestly, they can't afford not to anymore.

Message 8 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
373 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Sony didn't promise anything. The Killzone 3 demo was just that, a demo. It was only to show the potential for Remote Play.

But I do agree that it is stupid that you can't use Remote Play to watch DVDs/Blu-Rays or purchased video content.

The Vita is an amazing handheld that is vastly superior to a lowly iPod Touch. You should be ashamed for comparing the two.

Message 9 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Sony's problem isn't hardware, it's software solutions.  I have games and movies on my PS3 so right now they only thing Remote Play is good for is changing my settings.

Message 10 of 24 (2,884 Views)
0 Likes