Apr 25 2014
By: LuckerDog First Son 1 posts

Is there a way to watch twitch.tv on my PS3?

[ Edited ]
15 replies 148782 views Edited Apr 26, 2014

I don't want to stream or anything. I just got my ps3 about 2 months ago. Everything I found through google and stuff seems a few years old, and I don't know if it'll work through patches and stuff.

Mod Edit: Updated label & subject title. Removed coding from text Please click here to learn more about labels and here to review the Rules of Conduct. -TwistedTarantula

Message 1 of 16 (148,782 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6851 posts

Re: Is there a way to watch twitch.tv on my ps3

Apr 25, 2014

It will never work on PS3 

ADOBE KILLED flash development on EVERY SINGLE device that does not use Windows OS or MAC OSX...

There will NEVER be an upgrade EVER again for the PS3 browser...

Every Site that requires Flash 10 or HIGHER is now DEAD to PS3 browser users... 

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 2 of 16 (148,777 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13184 posts

Re: Is there a way to watch twitch.tv on my ps3

Apr 25, 2014

unless Twitch created their own app to PS3 just to watch livestream like Xbox 360 did

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 3 of 16 (148,770 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Re: Is there a way to watch twitch.tv on my PS3?

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2014

GraphiteGB's memory must be failing him, now that he has a shiny new PS4 Smiley Wink

The PS3 Bookmarklet (setup steps towards end of page) stil allows you to watch "past broadcast" Twitch.tv videos, where they are from a partner channel (as 480p transcode is then available) or where the video was originally broadcast in not too high a bit rate for the PS3 browser to handle. You can see this demonstrated in the accompanying YouTube video, where I post the latest info.

In a later update, I added the ability to list the past broadcast videos for a Twitch channel (e.g. twitch.tv/iplaywinner). To use this feature, load channel page with JavaScript off (press Triangle and select Tools, JavaScript, Off from menu) and then turn JavaScript back on and use bookmarklet on page. Not turning JavaScript off results in a browser crash. Use D-Pad to scroll list. Clicking a video will load video in a new window, where you would use bookmarklet again (to later close window, hold down circle). 

Message 4 of 16 (148,742 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6851 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2014

Does not work any more... PS3 browser loads Blank Pages on channel pages now on Twitch.tv... been like it for a while... 

As well as Being diverted to mobile on other pages... of Twitch.TV... had figured you had given up on ithe bookmarklet..

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 5 of 16 (148,723 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Apr 26, 2014

GraphiteGB wrote:

Does not work any more... PS3 browser loads Blank Pages on channel pages now on Twitch.tv... been like it for a while... 

As well as Being diverted to mobile on other pages... of Twitch.TV... had figured you had given up on ithe bookmarklet..

As described, that's why you can use the bookmarklet on the virtually blank (has Twitch logo on it) channel page (as well as the /b/ video pages), which replaces the blank page with a handy "past broadcast" video list (generated using Twitch's API). I've had to update the associated plugin a few times, including just the other day, to allow for Twitch changes.

Message 6 of 16 (148,697 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3303 posts

Apr 26, 2014
They need to make a darn app already for PS3, can't believe Sony hasn't pursued this yet.
Message 7 of 16 (148,688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Apr 26, 2014

The sad part is on the PS4 you can't watch people you follow unless you use the Web browser, which for me works most of the time but I think it's the ads that screw it up when it fails. If PS4 doesn't have flash then Twitch must have an HTML5 player and PS3 probably doesn't support HTML5 so either way you won't be able to watch. Twitch is awesome and it's sad that neither the PS3 nor PS4 have a full Twitch app. Now if the PS3 had a normal app store, you could have possibly had Firefox or Opera or something else that would support HTML5.

Message 8 of 16 (148,675 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Apr 26, 2014

InkedAZ480 wrote:

The sad part is on the PS4 you can't watch people you follow unless you use the Web browser, which for me works most of the time but I think it's the ads that screw it up when it fails. If PS4 doesn't have flash then Twitch must have an HTML5 player and PS3 probably doesn't support HTML5 so either way you won't be able to watch. Twitch is awesome and it's sad that neither the PS3 nor PS4 have a full Twitch app. Now if the PS3 had a normal app store, you could have possibly had Firefox or Opera or something else that would support HTML5.

When you get a PS4 does your brain immediately turn into jelly?

The PS3 Bookmarklet retrieves the Twitch video stream addresses and plays them using a PS3 compatible Flash video player (JW Player), so a HTML 5 / Flash 10 video player isn't needed. I can only think you haven't heard about what a JavaScript bookmarklet can do (make any possible changes to a web site it likes)? 

Message 9 of 16 (148,662 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Apr 26, 2014

Tribble6 wrote:

InkedAZ480 wrote:

When you get a PS4 does your brain immediately turn into jelly?

The PS3 Bookmarklet retrieves the Twitch video stream addresses and plays them using a PS3 compatible Flash video player (JW Player), so a HTML 5 / Flash 10 video player isn't needed. I can only think you haven't heard about what a JavaScript bookmarklet can do (make any possible changes to a web site it likes)? 

What does that have to do with live streams? Isn't that limited to past broadcasts? Some of us prefer to watch people we follow live, not afterwords, which I can do through my PS4 browser at least. Not to mention you can't watch past broadcasts from all streamers. The streamer must have the option to turn that off.

Message 10 of 16 (148,656 Views)
0 Likes