Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
10123 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

Feb 24, 2013

Well, here's my take on your points.

 

1. Yes, we know, people COULD manage with just an 8GB card. But that's not the point. People don't WANT to just "manage". They don't want to transfer back and forth. In this day and age of technology, convenience is king. And what's more inconvenient than having to transfer data back and forth (especially when it's not like it's instantaneous)? While I personally don't mind doing it, the average consumer does.

 

2. This is true, but it's probably because a lot of games don't utilize these features to begin with (or if they do, it's something minimal). This has more to do with developers than Sony.

 

3. Again, same thing, not Sony, the developers. They have to choose whether they want to offer cross buy or not. Also, the whole Blu-ray thing is actually starting to work now, because people are wanting more HD features on their TV (and DVD just can't offer HD resolution movies)

 

4. Again, more developer stuff. If the developer doesn't integrate Vita and PS3, Sony can't do anything about it.

 

 

 

Now, as for the argument on the impact of mobile gaming:

 

Here's how it is: Back before the age of smartphones and tablets, you had

A. Casual Gamers

B. Intermediate Gamers

C. Hardcore Gamers.


Now, because the only option to play games on the go was a Gameboy/PSP/DS or some other similar device, all the gamers from all the categories bought them. (This has no impact on console sales)

 

 

Now, fast forward to now, and where people own smartphones and tablets

 

The group of Casual gamers, who used to have no choice but to buy a dedicated handheld to play games, simply uses the smartphone or tablet they bought for other purposes (like schoolwork or for their job). So they don't need to buy a handheld like the Vita.

 

The group of intermediate gamers, they can go either way, but still, their numbers are split.

 

And the hardcore gamers, while most of them would buy a Vita or 3DS, may find consoles rewarding enough (and maybe they don't travel, so they don't need mobility). So there goes some of those.

 

That's the only effect the mobile gaming market has on dedicated handhelds. Least as far as I can tell.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 20 (101 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 06/20/2012
Offline
2356 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

Feb 24, 2013
Not that I disagree with the OP but if there is one thing that is grossly misscomunicated with the public that is:

"There are no games for the PSV"

Sure, 95% of the games for the PSV aren't must haves or system sellers. But then again, neither is most of the XBOX360. 6 months ago the statement would have been true. Right now, the PSV has sufficient titles to sustain the system for a bit. But you cannot blame people for thinking otherwise, people shouldn't have to research if a system is worth it or not. The company behind it should convince you that you cannot live without it. Say whatever you want about Apple, but those guys would sell PSVs like it was the end of the World~.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 20 (101 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
10123 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

Feb 24, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
Not that I disagree with the OP but if there is one thing that is grossly misscomunicated with the public that is:

"There are no games for the PSV"

Sure, 95% of the games for the PSV aren't must haves or system sellers. But then again, neither is most of the XBOX360. 6 months ago the statement would have been true. Right now, the PSV has sufficient titles to sustain the system for a bit. But you cannot blame people for thinking otherwise, people shouldn't have to research if a system is worth it or not. The company behind it should convince you that you cannot live without it. Say whatever you want about Apple, but those guys would sell PSVs like it was the end of the World~.

That's because Apple has an ACTUAL MARKETING TEAM :smileyvery-happy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 20 (97 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 03/18/2010
Offline
556 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
Not that I disagree with the OP but if there is one thing that is grossly misscomunicated with the public that is:

"There are no games for the PSV"

Sure, 95% of the games for the PSV aren't must haves or system sellers. But then again, neither is most of the XBOX360. 6 months ago the statement would have been true. Right now, the PSV has sufficient titles to sustain the system for a bit. But you cannot blame people for thinking otherwise, people shouldn't have to research if a system is worth it or not. The company behind it should convince you that you cannot live without it. Say whatever you want about Apple, but those guys would sell PSVs like it was the end of the World~.

 

the problem is the psvita does have "good" games. good games you can burn through in a few weeks then youre left waiting and hoping there is "something" else to so on it. 

 

times have changed, nobody wants to spend 200 plus dollars on a device that will "eventually" be worth owning. they want something they can actually use now...playstation isnt the only option out there and consummers will move on if they are left with months of nothing interesting to do.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 20 (96 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
10123 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

Feb 24, 2013

rego00123 wrote:

JuanMdP wrote:
Not that I disagree with the OP but if there is one thing that is grossly misscomunicated with the public that is:

"There are no games for the PSV"

Sure, 95% of the games for the PSV aren't must haves or system sellers. But then again, neither is most of the XBOX360. 6 months ago the statement would have been true. Right now, the PSV has sufficient titles to sustain the system for a bit. But you cannot blame people for thinking otherwise, people shouldn't have to research if a system is worth it or not. The company behind it should convince you that you cannot live without it. Say whatever you want about Apple, but those guys would sell PSVs like it was the end of the World~.

 

the problem is the psvita does have "good" games. good games you can burn through in a few weeks then youre left waiting and hoping there is "something" else to so on it. 

 

times have changed, nobody wants to spend 200 plus dollars on a device that will "eventually" be worth owning. they want something they can actually use now...playstation isnt the only option out there and consummers will move on if they are left with months of nothing interesting to do.


But the same can be said for any console, really.

 

I don't remember the last time I spent more than a week on a single game before beating the main story (on any console)

 

And I mean sure, there's games like Skyrim where you can do a billion things. But I'm talking purely storyline. 

 

Though, as you said, Vita games are actually quite short.

 

Uncharted took what, 3 days? Gravity Rush 2 days? There goes $70 (especially since those two games have practically nothing after you beat them)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 20 (91 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 03/18/2010
Offline
556 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

Feb 24, 2013

the difference is there is only really 2 viable consoles out,  the choice is slim. The handheld market is saturated with choice and value.

Who wants to pay 250 dollars right away when everything promised is a year away? Just wait a year and buy it...thats how the average consumer will do.

 

and then here we are...no money to be made on the patform becuase the user base isnt there for it.

 

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 20 (87 Views)
Splicer
Registered: 01/29/2010
Offline
80 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

Feb 24, 2013

psvitagamer2012 wrote:

 

 

I'll kid of disagee there with you. :smileywink:

I'm seeing many small chidren around playing with their parents smartphone and not a DS, 3DS,PSP or Vita unit. :smileyhappy:

 

That does not bode well for handheld gaming that we think of (Vita) ,does it?What they play at home I cannot say. :smileywink:

 

I used to see GBs and Game Gears and DSs,now it is smartphones with kids.......


That's just a small sample. Where I go, it's exact opposite. While I mainly see 3DS or DS Lites and not Vita's, I rarely see kids with a smartphone. It's all handhelds. Even going to the mall with my 3DS I get a ton of tags with Street Pass.

 

I think handhelds are doing fine with the kids, though that is all up the parents and what they buy their kids.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 20 (81 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 08/07/2012
Offline
178 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2013

alamarco2 wrote:

psvitagamer2012 wrote:

 

 

I'll kid of disagee there with you. :smileywink:

I'm seeing many small chidren around playing with their parents smartphone and not a DS, 3DS,PSP or Vita unit. :smileyhappy:

 

That does not bode well for handheld gaming that we think of (Vita) ,does it?What they play at home I cannot say. :smileywink:

 

I used to see GBs and Game Gears and DSs,now it is smartphones with kids.......


That's just a small sample. Where I go, it's exact opposite. While I mainly see 3DS or DS Lites and not Vita's, I rarely see kids with a smartphone. It's all handhelds. Even going to the mall with my 3DS I get a ton of tags with Street Pass.

 

I think handhelds are doing fine with the kids, though that is all up the parents and what they buy their kids.


You're seeing some different stuff at the mall and all than where I am.

It isn't just the small kids i'm seeing but the teens and young adults (20 somethings and 30 somethings too) -- which are all kids compared to me now! :smileywink: :smileylol:  I see most everyone out there texting or talking on or gaming on a smartphone.And Sony said last year that they had their own market that they were going to "break into" with Vita and the DS,3DS,smartphones and tablets

weren't an issue for what they were going to sell the world and had planned for Vita. :smileysurprised: :smileysad: :smileyfrustrated:

 

Uh huh. :smileyindifferent:

 

Where's this plan and games and wowing the world at now? :smileyindifferent:   I'm not feeling it or seeing it at all,Sony!What happened?What gives?What do you have to say now?? :smileysurprised: :smileyfrustrated: :smileymad:   Things are like they were last year for the Vita,and 2011 too! :smileywink:  Just Apple has a greater foothold now with the app store and the iPhone 5.

 

And Sony saying they haven't figured out what kind of device they released in the Vita starting in Japan in 2011,and then the US. :smileylol:  WOW.  Some real brainstorming going on in that Think Tank of execs and engineers and bean counters! :smileylol:

 

Wouldn't you be embarassed to say, "We don't know what kind of device we released the Vita as."  Shouldn't you know already??

 

:smileylol: :smileylol: :smileylol:

 

Need to scratch that retro need you have?Try Video 61!
We're at: www.atarisales.com and video61@tcq.net
We can fill every Atari or etc need be it sales or service. :smileyhappy:

Formerly known as PSP509 and JediKnight509 on the PSP Forum and PSN Leaderboards! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
Video Gamer Extraodinaire!!! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 20 (63 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3097 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

Feb 25, 2013
Blah blah blah cry cry cry. Just sell your Vita already . I so **bleep** tired of hearing everyone cry over the Vita. With everything going on. Its Why PS Vita/PS3 stuff, Why PS Vita/PS4 stuff, no games, not enough PSP games, blah blah blah cry cry cry. I buy Sony systems because I TRUST THEM TO DELIVER on high quality games. Sometimes Sony can't deliver on certain things but what's important is they make sure they give there best. If you don't like it just sell your Sony **bleep** and eat a **bleep**
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 20 (54 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 04/22/2012
Offline
18 posts
 

Re: Is the mass consumer (and user) ignorance a primary reason for the Vita's slump? (4 examples)

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Well, here's my take on your points.

 

1. Yes, we know, people COULD manage with just an 8GB card. But that's not the point. People don't WANT to just "manage". They don't want to transfer back and forth. In this day and age of technology, convenience is king. And what's more inconvenient than having to transfer data back and forth (especially when it's not like it's instantaneous)? While I personally don't mind doing it, the average consumer does.

 

2. This is true, but it's probably because a lot of games don't utilize these features to begin with (or if they do, it's something minimal). This has more to do with developers than Sony.

 


I can't say I think either of those points is realistic or troublesome for the vast majority of Vita users, or potential users.

 

1. There is extremely little necessary "management" done with data on the Vita, especially because it really only needs to be used once or twice a month for almost everyone, and does not take much time to finish whatever it is you're doing, short of a full backup that should be done once a month just like any other complicated machine. That can't be avoided for something with this much data. Non-Vita-specific games take almost no time, since the saved data can be backed up selectively and the game deleted near-instantaneously (I prefer cartridges, anyway, and I would think many others do, too). I would argue that CMA is certainly convenient, especially considering its Wi-Fi and Online Storage capabilities. How many times are you really going to use CMA per month? I only use CMA when I want to back up stuff that's needlessly taking up space and I have no more for other things I want to play--which doesn't happen often except when I'm finished with a game (even if I just get bored of it). That generally comes out to once or twice a month, since I store maybe six to ten games on the thing at a time. There's no reason to use CMA more than that, especially considering that most of what it does is automatic. It would probably be much wiser to simply back your data up once a month. CMA makes that pretty easy with selective backups and online storage of saves.

 

2. I would not call the use of Near in games "minimal". Considering that if you do nothing but go to work (or school, or whatever) and carry it around without needing to do anything but choose what you want to keep when you find out what you picked up earlier, it's a given you'll get a *lot* of *really* good stuff. For instance, if you pick up anyone's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 data, you can get tons of in-game items or costumes (I got a "Gold" Storm yesterday, which was considered an "Ultimate Gift"). I picked up someone's special customizations for Street Fighter x Tekken. For Ecolibrium, I got a special species I did not have before for Ecolibrium. Additionally, there were three Touch My Katamari "Buddy Requests" (I don't own the game, but I can still download them, and it's not a long shot that it'll be a free download soon considering its age), and a "B Rank Treasure Sheet" for Treasure Park (still need to try it to see if I can get anything special).

 

Considering that the Vita still needs a strong userbase and more robust features, that you can go out and get several genuinely useful and cool items by doing nothing but traveling with it in standby is excellent. I never come home without Near telling me it picked up several items, and sometimes I get lucky with the gifts you're able to receive without requiring anything more than keeping your Vita nearby. Near has quite a range, so it can pick up rather distant signals.

 

I strongly disagree that Near is a throwaway feature, even right now. If it expands substantially, I think it could be a really freaking awesome auto-sharing service for a whole lot of different features you can simply gift to other people with their Vita on them as they drive by a restaurant you're in, for example. Its range is considerable, and the content you can get is impressive.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 20 (33 Views)
Reply
0 Likes